CC Candidate Master

BHCC Friday Night Lectures by FM Chris Wallis

I decided to create a thread about the games I've been presenting at the Box Hill Chess Club on Friday nights, 6:30 pm. I'll start by posting my annotations to the first game we examined, a 'second-tier' Alekhine brilliancy. Alekhine's opponent, C.H.O.D Alexander, was one of the Bletchley Park codebreakers, whose character was portrayed by Matthew Goode in the 2014 film 'The Imitation Game'. The Nottingham tournament of 1936 (incidentally, photos of this event appear on Edward Winter's page, note 4935: http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/winter33.html) was at the time probably the strongest tournament ever held, with an intriguing result (=1st shared between a resurgent Capablanca and rising Botvinnik).
    The intention is to look at various outstanding historical games which, for no particular reason, aren't widely known. This Friday will feature a flawed Tal brilliancy, that turned into a brilliancy for the opponent...(of course, there are several spectacular games in this category!)

P.S. I hope the pgn works; I've never posted a game before! I left the headers outside as this seems to be standard use of the viewer.
    P.P.S I can see now it didn't work. I tried pgn game /pgn, would be grateful if somebody could help with this...

[Event "Nottingham"]
    [Site "Nottingham"]
    [Date "1936.08.22"]
    [Round "11"]
    [White "Alekhine, Alexander"]
    [Black "Alexander, Conel Hughes"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [ECO "E16"]
    [PlyCount "53"]
    [EventDate "1936.08.10"]
    [EventType "tourn"]
    [EventRounds "15"]
    [EventCountry "ENG"]
    [Source "ChessBase"]
    [SourceDate "1999.07.01"]
    PGN Viewer

Last edited by Chris_Wallis; 25-05-2015 at 04:49 PM.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    The game viewer cannot handle square numbers or often any numbers, other than actual variations that immediately follow from the position, in the notes. For instance if you want to write "b4" in a note, write it as "bfour". Not sure if there are any other issues.

CC Candidate Master
    Thanks Kevin! Actually, the square numbers do seem to be working - my error was in assuming that blank space was allowed between the 'pgn' tag and the game string!

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Glad it's working. Maybe numbers work if they are in curly brackets rather than square. I've often had problems with numbers before.

CC Candidate Master
    Here is the game from the 29th of May - the complications are inexhaustible, so I've tried just to give some important lines, focusing on what we looked at on the night (with some added detail). It's a good example of handling long-term complications, and responding to a sharp theoretical innovation.
    This coming Friday will feature the first draw of the series - quite a modern looking game, which sees Chigorin play the Chigorin and Pillsbury castle queenside...

[Event "Candidates qf2"]
    [Site "Belgrade"]
    [Date "1968.??.??"]
    [Round "1"]
    [White "Tal, Mihail"]
    [Black "Gligoric, Svetozar"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [ECO "C93"]
    [PlyCount "92"]
    [EventDate "1968.04.21"]
    [EventType "match"]
    [EventRounds "9"]
    [EventCountry "YUG"]
    [Source "ChessBase"]
    [SourceDate "1999.07.01"]
    PGN Viewer

CC Grandmaster
    22.Ra3!? was suggested during the pre-match preparation session by Sosonko (who was Tal's second during the match)
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    22.Ra3!? was suggested during the pre-match preparation session by Sosonko (who was Tal's second during the match)
    Yes - it's important to recognise the contribution of the seconds, as they otherwise might not gain credit for a move played by the 'boss' (conversely if the innovation was a mistake, perhaps they would prefer their protégé to receive the credit...). This also brings to mind some amusing incidents in chess history - game 8 in the Kramnik - Leko match is a classic example of something going wrong (22axb5??), and Spassky's 'consultants' leading into the world championship in '72 apparently bewildered him with contradictory recommendations on meeting Fischer's repertoire (Hans Ree wrote an engaging account of this in 'The Human Comedy of Chess').

CC Candidate Master
    Here is last week's game - with last night's game soon to follow.

[Event "St Petersburg 1895/96"]
    [Site "St Petersburg"]
    [Date "1896.01.27"]
    [Round "6.3"]
    [White "Pillsbury, Harry Nelson"]
    [Black "Chigorin, Mikhail"]
    [Result "1/2-1/2"]
    [ECO "D07"]
    [PlyCount "123"]
    [EventDate "1895.12.13"]
    [EventType "tourn"]
    [EventRounds "18"]
    [EventCountry "RUS"]
    [Source "ChessBase"]
    [SourceDate "2004.03.11"]

PGN Viewer

CC Candidate Master
    Here are annotations to the game last Friday. Interestingly, a photo of the game is available online:
    http://www.echecs-photos.be/BobbyFis...20Fischer.html

From now on, I'll probably only be posting lighter annotations as I'll be too busy to maintain this level of detail, but the lectures will certainly be continuing - this week we'll examine Petrosian - Botvinnik, game 5 of the 1963 World Championship - a deep and instructive positional win.

PGN Viewer

Thread Information