Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    It would be expensive but perhaps it could be used by unproven but suspected cheats.
    Not necessarily expensive. The Southside Chess Club meets in a room beneath the Carindale Shopping Centre, and my mobile phone reception with Telstra was non-existent until they presumably installed amplifiers - and it's now back to non-existent (for me anyway) for some reason. So with the right venue, you may not need to construct a Faraday cage.

CC Candidate Master
    A Faraday cage is not going to do any good against the guy who caused this thread to start, is it? It also doesn't deal with whatever computing power that you can carry on you. Leave your watch at the door?

I'm not sure whether jammers are going to cause problems to innocent neighbours, or even the legality of using them.

GM Vladislav Tkachiev How I became a cheater (in Russian language):
    article http://vladpress.com/?p=1189
    video http://youtu.be/YMe_fQRUyfU

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by triplecheck View Post
    A Faraday cage is not going to do any good against the guy who caused this thread to start, is it? It also doesn't deal with whatever computing power that you can carry on you. Leave your watch at the door?
    Electronic devices can already be banned in the playing area - presumably including Apple iwatches!

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    There is a current cheating-accusation controversy involving Romanian WGM Mihaela Sandu (2300) who won her first five games including wins over four 2450+ players in a row, in the European Women's Individual. Computer scans of her games apparently do not suggest she is cheating and there is no observational evidence. In her round 6 game the broadcast was delayed and since the broadcasts of games started being delayed she has scored one win (albeit against Stefanova) out of five. Defenders of Sandu are claiming that the complaints are groundless and designed to affect her play.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    There is a current cheating-accusation controversy involving Romanian WGM Mihaela Sandu (2300) who won her first five games including wins over four 2450+ players in a row, in the European Women's Individual. Computer scans of her games apparently do not suggest she is cheating and there is no observational evidence. In her round 6 game the broadcast was delayed and since the broadcasts of games started being delayed she has scored one win (albeit against Stefanova) out of five. Defenders of Sandu are claiming that the complaints are groundless and designed to affect her play.
    I really do think in these type of situations the burden of proof really should be put more on the people making the complaint before any action is taken. Especially when they sign a letter asking for action to be taken. In this case, the organisers really should have asked, where is your proof? Show us your evidence.

And if they can not demonstrate their proof, then action should be taken against them. When I first read this article on chessbase, I thought Sandu really does have a case for defamation. No evidence by those who signed the letter was shown at the time to say that she was cheating, just that they 'believed' she might have been because she was doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvinator View Post
    When I first read this article on chessbase, I thought Sandu really does have a case for defamation. No evidence by those who signed the letter was shown at the time to say that she was cheating, just that they 'believed' she might have been because she was doing well.
    And Sandu is indeed threatening to sue them.

The action taken by the organisers was to delay screening of all boards, which doesn't seem so unreasonable to me; they also put out a statement that they didn't agree with the claims and asked the players making claims against Sandu to withdraw.

I'd like to know for sure if the complainants followed the appropriate procedure of filing a complaint on the complaint form per FIDE Anti-Cheating guidelines.

I'll also be interested to see whether any will be penalised. Of course they may just all withdraw their complaint now the damage is done.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    And Sandu is indeed threatening to sue them.

The action taken by the organisers was to delay screening of all boards, which doesn't seem so unreasonable to me; they also put out a statement that they didn't agree with the claims and asked the players making claims against Sandu to withdraw.

I'd like to know for sure if the complainants followed the appropriate procedure of filing a complaint on the complaint form per FIDE Anti-Cheating guidelines.

I'll also be interested to see whether any will be penalised. Of course they may just all withdraw their complaint now the damage is done.
    If it is left up to FIDE, no one will be penalised.

CC International Master
    We haven't heard the full side of the complainants' case, and maybe there were factors beyond a handful of moderately good wins, but as it stands it sounds like the mean girls getting together and writing on Facebook that Hayley must have been sleeping with Mr Anderson because she isn't smart enough to have done so well on the geography test.

I thought the response of the organisers was rather limp. They should have been demanding some plausible evidence before making any changes. The notion of a delayed broadcast has been mentioned often and employed occasionally; had it been done from the start nobody would have been excited, but changing mid-stream has the effect of endorsing the complaint.

Aside from legal ramifications, I think a more interesting question is what FIDE will do. FIDE is sometimes accused of being slow in tackling cheating. This is debatable, but where they have really dragged the chain is in dealing with spurious cheating allegations. I can't think of any action ever being taken no matter how blatant the circumstances. This case appears to be crying out for, at the very least, the ringleader (who coincidentally was the tournament winner) to receive a Please Explain.

CC Grandmaster
    In case of Sandu, these accusations ruined her tournament. There is nothing unnatural about a 2300 rated player beating 2400+ players. The ''Regan test'' and other game analysis methods applied, revealed no signs of cheating. In this chase she is the victim of poor treatment by organizers and some of the other participants.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

I feel it's worth noting here (for easy future reference) the names of the 15 "mean girls" who signed the letter specifically attacking Sandu:

Natalia Zhukova, Alisa Galliamova, Lanita Stetsko, Nastassia Ziaziulkina, Anastasia Bodnaruk, Anastasia Savina, Dina Belenkaya, Jovana Vojinovic, Evgenija Ovod, Salome Melia, Svetlana Matveeva, Marina Guseva, Anna Tskhadadze, Tatyana Ivanova, Ekaterina Kovalevskaya

I have a habit of barracking against Mamedyarov because of his unsubstantiated accusations against (the late) Igor Kurnusov but I'm not sure I can remember all this lot's names should this prove to be similarly short of substance.

CC International Master
    It would be interesting to hear Melia's take on it as she was one of the players who lost. Did she detect anything suspicious in Sandu's behaviour? If so why did she not report it at the time, and if not why did she join the complaint several days later?

CC International Master Agent Smith's Avatar
    Yeah - Sad incident which illustrates why we need a burden of proof to resolve cheating allegations.

CC International Master
    Latest development - Peter Doggers on chess.com reports (link below) that Ekaterina Kovalevskaya and Anastasia Savina have "retracted their signature" (not sure how you do that, do they have access to a time machine?).

He also notes that one of the losers of the "suspicious" games, Lela Javakhishvili, was sick and withdrew shortly afterwards. Another of the five to withdraw was the biggest name, Antoaneta Stefanova, who was evidently off form or ill, having also lost to another player 200 points lower and two players 100 lower. All of which makes the winning streak even less remarkable.

Doggers concludes that "most chess fans seem to agree that the Romanian chess player has become the victim of a witch hunt".

http://www.chess.com/news/zhukova-wi...-four-straight

CC International Master
    Before people come to the conclusions, maybe read what participants say - https://www.facebook.com/eljanov/pos...05916235376493 (Unfortunately, it is in Russian...)

The worst behavior seems to be coming from the organizers...

1) Participants constantly complain about Sandu.
    2) Organizers suspect that she is cheating but not prepared to do anything.
    3) In round 6 (I think) Sandu plays against one of the Georgians and the organizers delay the transmission (without telling anybody). The result - Sandu lost that game.
    4) Next round Stephanova asked for the same deal and was promised one. Later the organizers did not deliver and said after the game that they did not promise.
    5) At this stage other players started pushing the organizers and the organizers come up with the statement that only if a letter will be signed by many participants they are prepared to do something...

Thread Information