Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    CC Grandmaster
    This is how possible cheating is handled in online bridge:

... What actually happens depends considerably on a few factors.

1. If the report is about cheating in a game that issues masterpoints [similar to rated games in chess]
    We take a quick look at the report itself and if there seems to be a hint of smoke, or if the person reporting the issue is someone we already know and trust (ie, an old timer on BBO) we send it off for a flyover. if that makes us suspicious we do an in-depth review.

The in-depth review will lead to a determination of cheating/not-cheating/unsure. If we're unsure we watch list the person and re-investigate periodically.

If we're sure we review the decision again, then take action. This involves block the person from the games, or deactivate the username, or blocking the user's PCs or IP addresses or credit cards etc. No one answer here. If ACBL was involved we notify ACBL HQ and block the reporting of masterpoints. We also email/bbomail the person along the way.

... 4. If the cheating was in the main bridge club
    This is the hardest sort of thing to handle. We usually perform a cursory inspection, not using our best resources, and issue the usual disciplinary actions (scramble, ban). There are some people who insist on cheating and given the nature of BBO today, it is hard to keep them out; they keep cheating.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    Interesting that this process seems to rely entirely on human judgement, both for raising suspicions and passing judgement, and doesn't mention using computer analysis to find dodgy plays. I would have thought there was plenty of scope for that, at least in the preliminary phase. (I'm assuming that bridge-playing programs are pretty decent these days, though would still be a bit of fiddling around needed to integrate them into cheat detecting programs.) Or is that what is meant by "flyover" and "best resources" and they don't want to give anything away?

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout View Post
    Interesting that this process seems to rely entirely on human judgement, both for raising suspicions and passing judgement, and doesn't mention using computer analysis to find dodgy plays. I would have thought there was plenty of scope for that, at least in the preliminary phase. (I'm assuming that bridge-playing programs are pretty decent these days, though would still be a bit of fiddling around needed to integrate them into cheat detecting programs.) Or is that what is meant by "flyover" and "best resources" and they don't want to give anything away?
    I think that in online bridge the main form of cheating is collusion, so it's easier to detect without computer analysis. I was also surprised that they seem able to take action without a complicated arbitration procedure, but that may be because they're a company dealing with customers, rather than an organisation dealing with members.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    I think that in online bridge the main form of cheating is collusion,
    This was what I had in mind. I imagine that bridge is sort of the opposite of chess in that cheating is identified by moves that are bad, but the outcome that they win implies that you had special information, and a computer can sift these out pretty thoroughly. Though I may be talking nonsense.

I referred to this during my comments about Nigel Short and his ramblings for criminal charges.

Fide, so all events that are fide rated would fall under their jurisdiction, already have a procedure in place for investigation of claims of engine cheating and similar matters:

https://www.fide.com/FIDE/handbook/A...Guidelines.pdf

Shaun Press is a member of this committee, so if anyone wants further information they should contact him.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvinator View Post
    Shaun Press is a member of this committee, so if anyone wants further information they should contact him.
    Shaun is no longer on that commission and hasn’t been for a while.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

CC FIDE Master
    I am organising weekly events for NZCF, and I'm of the view that what happens online, stays online, including ratings (so don't rate online chess with OTB ratings). That said, don't organise events for money online without some pretty serious anti-cheating measures unless it's a centaur event (allows the use of engines). Side note, if real names are insisted on, cheating diminishes because of the potential for reputational damage, but nothing is perfect.

If someone is banned from a site, that's the player's problem, not mine - we aren't playing for anything other than internet brownie points, and that's the risk we take. False positives happen, but I don't know that it's that common. Nigel Short thinks the Chess.com anti-cheating detection is pretty rigorous, and no doubt Lichess and Chess24 are along the same lines.
    IA Craig Hall

www.chess.org.nz - Canterbury Chess Club
    http://respectrum.nz - Major sponsor

Correction on my behalf. Shaun Press is now a member of the Rules Commission.

Thread Information