Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
    CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar

2006 Queenstown Chess Classic

Entry Forms for the 2006 Queenstown Chess Classic are now available.

This event will take place 15-24 January 2006 and is being organised by GM Murray Chandler in co-operation with the New Zealand Chess Federation. It is expected that many overseas players will take the opportunity for a holiday in this part of the world.

The kiwis have already decided to roll the NZ Championships into the Queenstown event. Therefore the first two weeks of January 2006 are free and need a major event in Australia so that overseas players can come downunder to play before crossing the ditch to NZ.

Australia would normally run an Australian Closed Championship in January 2006. But this will not suit the overseas players. We need a big Australian Open in 2006. But the ACF are stuck in this alternate year rut and look like waiting until Easter 2005 before making a decision on where the 2006 Closed Championships will be held.

Will we miss this opportunity? Probably yes unless some entrepreneur walks up to the mat and organises an Australian Open privately. What do players and bulletin board members think?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones

This event will take place 15-24 January 2006 and is being organised by GM Murray Chandler in co-operation with the New Zealand Chess Federation. It is expected that many overseas players will take the opportunity for a holiday in this part of the world.

The kiwis have already decided to roll the NZ Championships into the Queenstown event. Therefore the first two weeks of January 2006 are free and need a major event in Australia so that overseas players can come downunder to play before crossing the ditch to NZ.

Australia would normally run an Australian Closed Championship in January 2006. But this will not suit the overseas players. We need a big Australian Open in 2006. But the ACF are stuck in this alternate year rut and look like waiting until Easter 2005 before making a decision on where the 2006 Closed Championships will be held.

Will we miss this opportunity? Probably yes unless some entrepreneur walks up to the mat and organises an Australian Open privately. What do players and bulletin board members think?
    you seem to forget that we might have the mercure sponsorship deal for the next five years. Also we could still have a combined deal maybe with nz in 2007. there are many plans and possibilities for the future.

I do support not making any possible binding decisions before the current mt buller events are finished. It would do more damage to rush into a decision than to take a bit of time.

Entry forms might be out, but i doubt that they will really be securing detailed plans with overseas players for quite a while.
    Last edited by Garvinator; 29-11-2004 at 01:39 PM.

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    you seem to forget that we might have the mercure sponsorship deal for the next five years. Also we could still have a combined deal maybe with nz in 2007. there are many plans and possibilities for the future.

I do support not making any possible binding decisions before the current mt buller events are finished. It would do more damage to rush into a decision than to take a bit of time.

Entry forms might be out, but i doubt that they will really be securing detailed plans with overseas players for quite a while.
    2006 Mecure Australian Open....... sounds good to me!
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

Quote Originally Posted by tparker
    2006 Mecure Australian Open....... sounds good to me!
    that will be up to the national conference and acf council.

Thanks for the info Brian. Your mate, Mr Parr, handed me a very nice brochure on this. I think that this event will definitely be very big one.

Check out: www.queenstownchess.com

AR

But aren't bids for the Open/closed supposed to be in 18months before the event?
    GO THE DRAGONS!

But aren't bids for the Open/closed supposed to be in 18months before the event?
    when was the last time that happened

when was the last time that happened
    But isn't that what is supposed to happen?
    GO THE DRAGONS!

But isn't that what is supposed to happen?
    if everything that was supposed to happen, did happen, we would be much better off, generally

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    if everything that was supposed to happen, did happen, we would be much better off, generally
    Wouldn't it be a clockwork universe with no surprises? Sounds pretty dull.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    Wouldn't it be a clockwork universe with no surprises? Sounds pretty dull.
    That depends on whether it is chaotic, deterministic or pre-ordained.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC Grandmaster
    We could try and get them to play in Australia after the Queenstown tournament. Perhaps the ACF could get together with the Australian Masters organisers and them to move to the end of January, with a reserves tournament as well. If we can encourage a couple of GM's to play then there might even be a IM/GM norm available to some of Australia young University attending players who might be more available at this time of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones

What Brian says in his post makes a lot of sense to me. I have just had a look at the Queenstown website, and it looks like this Queenstown event will be a big one, with lots of overseas players participatng (and wanting/willing to play a "warm up" comp just before it starts). BTW, if there are going to be any future Mt Bullers, the future Mt Buller organisers should have a look at the Queenstown website and incorporate some of their ideas for future Mt Bullers.

It seems logical to make the Dec 2005/Jan 2006 tournament an Open (and then perhaps go back to the "two year rut" the year after - eg have the Dec 2005/Jan 2006 an Open, the Dec 2006/Jan 2007 a closed, the Dec 2007/Jan 2008 and Open, the Dec 2008/Jan 2009 a closed etc etc). Then again, do we need this Open-Closed-Open-Closed cycle every two years? What do other countries do?

Anyway, lets see what hapens at the upcoming ACF Conference!
    Last edited by Paul S; 27-12-2004 at 03:49 PM.

CC Grandmaster
    Anyone know who the chief arbiter will be? I guess Bekker is a possibility since he did the Zonal..

Thread Information