CC Candidate Master

old style chess tournament

I was thinking it might be interesting to hold the odd old-style tournament.
    Use time limits from the pre-increment era, say 40/90 then 30/30 etc. You could even have adjournments as an option.

Young players would then have a taste of something quite different.

Games wouldn't need to be rated (which may not even be possible).

An option would be to have players record in English description (the norm before 1974), though probably not the first time its tried.
    For coaching contact Bill Jordan at swneerava@yahoo.com

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FM_Bill View Post
    Use time limits from the pre-increment era, say 40/90 then 30/30 etc. You could even have adjournments as an option.

An option would be to have players record in English description (the norm before 1974), though probably not the first time its tried.
    Would the players use analogue clocks, and wears flares and sideburns? Or are we talking about the days of egg-timers?

Spot on Bill, I have been saying the same for years. Frankly speaking I hate digital clocks and increment after each move. I did exactly this in my Sydney Easter Cups (including some top players) and no one murmured at all. As well when properly done I packed the house out. I was playing lightning on a digital the other day and we could not even pause the clock for whatever reason - whereas with analogue we just pressed both buttons half way down. Bring back the biff - that is smashing those clocks because we could.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout View Post
    Would the players use analogue clocks, and wears flares and sideburns? Or are we talking about the days of egg-timers?
    What's an analogue clock? The ones I remember you wind up and press the button. And if you want us to ware flares again there is a small problem ... I don't think they will fit anymore!
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

AC: A bit fascist if games could not be rated.
    I still find English description more valuable in analysing a position (though cumbersome in comparison)

And what could be more reliable than an egg timer - no batteries or winding up or broken springs etc, and I imagine they could be carefully laid on side for pause - leaves the digital for dead, plus you would not believe, you could even boil the eggs with them
    Last edited by antichrist; 27-03-2015 at 12:09 AM.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    AC: A bit fascist if games could not be rated.
    The argument against rating an adjourned game is that you are not rating the player but rating how well they can use a computer to analyse the position.

A certain tournament that used adjournments with Fischer time controls attracted a fair amount of derision here in 2007, especially when one player was allowed to adjourn a game for a month with less than four minutes on his clock, but it was still rated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    The argument against rating an adjourned game is that you are not rating the player but rating how well they can use a computer to analyse the position.

A certain tournament that used adjournments with Fischer time controls attracted a fair amount of derision here in 2007, especially when one player was allowed to adjourn a game for a month with less than four minutes on his clock, but it was still rated.
    I finished an adjourned game the other day upon which there was money and the guy played like a wizard that was quite opposite to before the adjournment.

Re outside assistance for adjourned games that could also take place manually in pre-computer days - and I thought the champs had seconds to perform such, so was completely legit that I thought strange
    Last edited by antichrist; 27-03-2015 at 12:45 AM.

Re outside assistance for adjourned games that could also take place manually in pre-computer days - and I thought the champs had seconds to perform such, so was completely legit that I thought strange
    Yes, that was the way it was back then. Typically those who had seconds rather than being on their own were at very high levels, and what the seconds were really doing was saving the player time in the middle of a busy match (if not for the player having to play other games, they would be able to do the homework themselves). But I'm sure there would have been many cases of weak players adjourning games then consulting much stronger ones on the analysis.

It was accepted that such games could still be rated because otherwise whether a game was rated or not would depend on whether it was adjourned, which would create problems like players deliberately hanging on in lost positions to prevent their game being rated. These days adjournments are not necessary so refusing to rate them is an option.

CC FIDE Master
    I remember in Interclub in the 1970s after our game Ozols would sometimes come up to me and say "Robert ...what do you think of this position?" I later found out that he became a correspondence IM ... perhaps with a little help from me!
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

Quote Originally Posted by jammo View Post
    I remember in Interclub in the 1970s after our game Ozols would sometimes come up to me and say "Robert ...what do you think of this position?" I later found out that he became a correspondence IM ... perhaps with a little help from me!
    Maybe he was sharpening up on his correspondence game coz he knew where he was heading

CC FIDE Master
    Maybe he was sharpening up on his correspondence game coz he knew where he was heading
    I think he was heading for Thornbury....

I assume using old school laws that there would be no restriction on use of mobile phones or personal electronic devices
    meep meep

Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    I assume using old school laws that there would be no restriction on use of mobile phones or personal electronic devices
    Or maybe the restriction would be that you can use such things only if they were made before 1980.

So can digital clocks be paused when in lightning mode?

So can digital clocks be paused when in lightning mode?
    Yes, you just have to know how. On the ones we use at the club it's very easy; there's a button you just flick from Play to Pause and back again.

Thread Information