Evangelism and Climate Change

Q&A: A Canadian evangelical confronts U.S. climate politics
    Midwest Energy News

Growing up in Canada, Katharine Hayhoe never knew climate change was controversial. It was not until she enrolled as a graduate student at the University of Illinois’ Urbana-Champaign campus that she encountered doubters—who, in America, turned out to be the bulk of her fellow evangelical Christians.

Today, the director of Texas Tech University’s Climate Science Center spends a lot of time trying to convince conservative Christians that climate change is real, human-influenced and a global crisis—and that it is their duty as members of the faith to act....

Quote Originally Posted by Finn McCool View Post
    Q&A: A Canadian evangelical confronts U.S. climate politics
    Midwest Energy News

Growing up in Canada, Katharine Hayhoe never knew climate change was controversial. It was not until she enrolled as a graduate student at the University of Illinois’ Urbana-Champaign campus that she encountered doubters—who, in America, turned out to be the bulk of her fellow evangelical Christians.

Today, the director of Texas Tech University’s Climate Science Center spends a lot of time trying to convince conservative Christians that climate change is real, human-influenced and a global crisis—and that it is their duty as members of the faith to act....
    Strangely enough, her husband's church seems to be genuinely evangelical to some extent, although not biblical creationist. From what I can see, most of her "evidence" is the discredited hockey stick. I also how genuine this is:

Indeed, many conservatives don't buy into climate science because they don't like the "Big Government" solutions they suspect the problem entails. But Hayhoe has an answer ready for that one too: Conservative-friendly, market-driven solutions to climate problems are actually all around us. "A couple of weeks ago, Texas…smashed the record for the most wind energy ever produced. It was 38 percent of our energy that week, came from wind," she says. And Hayhoe thinks that's just the beginning: "If you look at the map of where the greatest potential is for wind energy, it's right up the red states. And I think that is going to make a big difference in the future."

If that can be done without government subsidies, then fine. No problem with genuinely free market solutions to problems, whether the problems are real or not.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    From what I can see, most of her "evidence" is the discredited hockey stick.
    The hockey stick is not discredited at all, but confirmed by numerous other studies.
    meep meep

Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    The hockey stick is not discredited at all, but confirmed by numerous other studies.
    And the attacks on Mann's work have been discredited - http://www.ucar.edu/news/releases/2005/ammann.shtml

CC International Master Kaitlin's Avatar
    From ABC Science News:

" Professor (Brian) Cox says one view is that it can be counterproductive to try to argue with people who disregard the scientific consensus.

"You essentially elevate them to a level they should not be at. You present to the public the impression that there is a legitimate debate to be had," he says. "

full article http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-0...travel/8406188
    Last edited by Kaitlin; 09-04-2017 at 12:19 AM.
    .. this Caketin is full of little spiders and watermelon seeds.....

..Chess is all about fear and psychology

..Chess is like an exam..... you havent studied for

..If you're good at Chess it means you are very intelligent and could potentialy do great things
    ..... but that you might have wasted that playing way too much chess

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlin View Post
    From ABC Science News:

" Professor (Brian) Cox says one view is that it can be counterproductive to try to argue with people who disregard the scientific consensus.

"You essentially elevate them to a level they should not be at. You present to the public the impression that there is a legitimate debate to be had," he says. "

full article http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-0...travel/8406188
    As has been said before, they are not in need of a debate, but rather an education.
    meep meep

Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    As has been said before, they are not in need of a debate, but rather an education.
    Education by whom? People unqualified in science like alGore, Malcolm TalkBull, Leonardo Di Caprio; or even by Cox who is an atheopathic physicist not a meteorologist.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Education by whom? People unqualified in science like alGore, Malcolm TalkBull, Leonardo Di Caprio; or even by Cox who is an atheopathic physicist not a meteorologist.
    Think it's taught in primary school these days.
    meep meep

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    "We're talking about blustering people, people who are overconfident and have no humility, who don't think. That's the sort of person who says 'I know better than these people who study these things'. It's nonsensical." - Prof Brian Cox

Sounds like the author of post #7.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC Grandmaster
    Meteorology is the study of the weather, of course, not the climate. And Cox would undoubtedly have studied climate science as part of his degree. He probably did post-graduate work as well, as astronomy includes the study of planetary atmospheres.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    "We're talking about blustering people, people who are overconfident and have no humility, who don't think. That's the sort of person who says 'I know better than these people who study these things'. It's nonsensical." - Prof Brian Cox
    Sounds like someone else with that surname

Sounds like someone else with that surname
    Shall we go through your publications and see what percentage pertains to spectroscopy? You can do the same with my publications and mathematics.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    Meteorology is the study of the weather, of course, not the climate. And Cox would undoubtedly have studied climate science as part of his degree. He probably did post-graduate work as well, as astronomy includes the study of planetary atmospheres.
    His specialty was particle physics. Why "undoubtedly" climate science as part of a physics degree? It wasn't at my university.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Shall we go through your publications and see what percentage pertains to spectroscopy? You can do the same with my publications and mathematics.
    Go through my books as well. I just hope your knowledge of climatology is better than your knowledge of medieval history, although that's not a high bar. I also know of no climatology qualifications of the other Cox.

Go through my books as well. I just hope your knowledge of climatology is better than your knowledge of medieval history, although that's not a high bar. I also know of no climatology qualifications of the other Cox.
    I was thinking primarily the books after all they are the ones which bluster against the weight of overwhelming scientific consensus.

Thread Information