Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CC Candidate Master The_Wise_Man's Avatar

Question Australian Chess Federation?

Questions:

Is a Federation of State Associations the best way to administer chess in Australia?

Can we derive any benefits from restructuring the Federation into a National Body that controls all the states, juniors and correspondence chess?

What would be the disadvantages of such a restructure/system?

oh dear, where is jammo when you need him

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Question.

Is a round thing the best way to move objects, possibly carrying other objects, over the ground?

Can we derive any benefits from building lots of round things and making them into machines?

What would be the advantages/disadvantages of building lots of these things and calling them "wheels"? I can't believe no one ever had such a brilliant idea before.

This debate has been done to death over the past 5 years without much by way of result. Look up "ACF Commission", and if you've got anything constructive to say, then first talk the NSWCA into supporting it because otherwise you are wasting your breath.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    This debate has been done to death over the past 5 years without much by way of result. Look up "ACF Commission", and if you've got anything constructive to say, then first talk the NSWCA into supporting it because otherwise you are wasting your breath.
    and as nswca is in favour of the current structure, all debate is pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    Translation: Arguing with Bill is an exercise in futility, even when you may be right
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    One day, not this year, the NSWCA council will be have a bunch of cooperative forward thinking officials run the show. Watch this space.

To be fair what you should have said was that NSW was in fvaour of the current structure over the commision structure.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    One day, not this year, the NSWCA council will be have a bunch of cooperative forward thinking officials run the show. Watch this space.
    One thing is for certain you wouldnt be one of them.

CC International Master Kerry Stead's Avatar
    Having said that, I was one of the few on the NSWCA council who liked the idea of the ACF commission. The majority of councillors preferred the existing structure for various reasons, and considered the introduction of 2 Vice Presidents as the best compromise.

I wish somebody would just give us a powerpoint presentation of this Commission business. Ya know, pros and cons, etc, etc....

I can't think straight unless I'm looking at powerpoint bullet points.

AR

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    I wish somebody would just give us a powerpoint presentation of this Commission business. Ya know, pros and cons, etc, etc....

I can't think straight unless I'm looking at powerpoint bullet points.

AR
    There is no point. As Kevin said its been done to death.
    The majority of the NSWCA Council still dont support it.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stead
    Having said that, I was one of the few on the NSWCA council who liked the idea of the ACF commission. The majority of councillors preferred the existing structure for various reasons, and considered the introduction of 2 Vice Presidents as the best compromise.
    Kerry, when the idea of a direct membership ACF, with an elected board of 8 (4 executive and 4 non exective mebers) was first being floated, the entire voting power of the council rested in the hands of 7 state delegates. In an attempt to stave off the loss of control over the ACF, the various states have generally dealt with any new proposal in this area by adding extra voting members to the coucil. My question is, how many people get to vote on council now and who do they represent?
    (This is a serious question as I have lost track of the new members over the years).

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    what thread should i read?????
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

Quote Originally Posted by shaun
    Kerry, when the idea of a direct membership ACF, with an elected board of 8 (4 executive and 4 non exective mebers) was first being floated, the entire voting power of the council rested in the hands of 7 state delegates. In an attempt to stave off the loss of control over the ACF, the various states have generally dealt with any new proposal in this area by adding extra voting members to the coucil. My question is, how many people get to vote on council now and who do they represent?
    (This is a serious question as I have lost track of the new members over the years).
    There are currently 6 Executive positions with votes (Pres, Deputy Pres, 2* Vice Pres, Secretary and Treasurer), plus 8 state delegates. Of course if the motion at the national conference gets up to disaffiliate NT then the state delegates will be reduced to 7.
    So currently 14 but could soon be 13 which in reality it has been since no NT rep has been at a ACF Council meeting for well over 18mths.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 29-11-2004 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Corrected numbers

Hi all,

There is one more position on Council which has speaking rights but no voting rights and only exists for 12 months - immediate Past President.

In between Council meetings the President with advice from Executive makes decisions but anyone on Council can ask for and usually get an Internet based vote on any issue.

Earlier this year we had a number of recission decisions and others put off to Internet Votes - this gives Council Members an opportunity to consult with their constituency or gives us a solution which cannot wait till the next quarterly ACF Council meetings.

On many ACF issues there is rigorous debate but ACF Council Meetings tend not to drag on because of prior Internet Discussions.

Regards
    George Howard
    President ACF

Thread Information