Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 169
  1. #1
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    214

    2015 Oceania Zonal Chess Championships - OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

    norths chess club is proud to host

    2015 Oceania Zonal Chess Championships

    When: 9 Rounds, 4 July to 10 July 2015
    Where: norths 12 Abbott Street, Cammeray, New South Wales, Australia
    Eligibility: Players must be members of a FIDE Zone 3.6 federation (Australian, Fiji, Guam, New Zealand, Palau, PNG, Solomon Islands).
    Entry fees: OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP - $160; WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - $120
    Prizes:

    Winners will represent Zone 3.6 in the 2015 World Cup.

    OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP
    1st $2,000
    2nd $1,000
    3rd $600
    4th $350
    5th $250
    6th $200
    7th $150
    Rated U2000 $200
    Rated U1800 $200
    Rated U1600 $200

    WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP
    1st $1,000
    2nd $500
    3rd $400
    Women's rating prizes will be considered in light of entry numbers.

    For more information and entry go to www.northsydneychess.org/2015-oceania-zonal
    Last edited by mishahu; 31-01-2015 at 05:52 PM.
    Norths Chess Club www.northsydneychess.org
    Home of Australia's best chess.

  2. #2
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    214
    And the first entry, quick off the mark, is Victoria's favourite son, Elliott Renzies.
    Norths Chess Club www.northsydneychess.org
    Home of Australia's best chess.

  3. #3
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,852
    Thanks chief, I 've entered to get it over and done with since I 've got quite a heavy travelling schedule ahead! cheers!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

    https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

  4. #4
    CC International Master AzureBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,033
    Could you please confirm that: IM/WIM (=1st in tournament including existing GM/IM/WGM/WIMs), IM/WIM norms (2nd or 3rd in tournament), FM/WFM (6/9), CM/WCM (4.5/9) with no limits on the number of titles awarded? This is what it says on the FIDE handbook but just want to check on limits. Thank you

  5. #5
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    686
    The arbiters have been selected:
    IA Charles Zworestine
    IA Shaun Press
    FA Alana Chibnall
    FA Brian Jones

    Entries are gradually coming in - 17 so far, with IM Gary Lane being the highest rated.

  6. #6
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,828
    Quote Originally Posted by AzureBlue View Post
    Could you please confirm that: IM/WIM (=1st in tournament including existing GM/IM/WGM/WIMs), IM/WIM norms (2nd or 3rd in tournament), FM/WFM (6/9), CM/WCM (4.5/9) with no limits on the number of titles awarded? This is what it says on the FIDE handbook but just want to check on limits. Thank you
    In 1.24 there is a defined limit on the number of =1sts who can be eligible for the direct IM/WIM title. If there are more than three players tied for first then only the first three on tiebreak are eligible.

  7. #7
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    852
    What is ACF policy towards change of federation so someone who is not Australian for FIDE can change for the zonal?

  8. #8
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Altecman View Post
    What is ACF policy towards change of federation so someone who is not Australian for FIDE can change for the zonal?
    They must (this is strictly non-negotiable) be eligible for registration with the ACF as an Australian citizen or resident (not necessarily permanent) and able to supply evidence of citizenship or residency.

    They need to contact me (k_bonham@tassie.net.au) advising that they wish to transfer and fill out all the necessary forms and provide required documents. They need to pay all applicable fees to the ACF themselves, which at minimum includes the Notification Fee of 250 Euro, and a small charge to cover the ACF's bank costs. In some cases other FIDE fees apply.

    It is entirely their responsibility to ensure their transfer is completed in time. In particular transfers can be sped up by obtaining a letter of non-objection from the former federation. While FIDE will ask the former federation to send such a letter, not all federations will reply. We will not chase up non-replying federations but the applicant is welcome to do so.

    We reserve the right to reject transfer requests. The case in which we usually do this is that a player is eligible to represent Australia but has never played here and has no real and lasting connection to the country. The vast majority of requests where the player is willing to pay for the transfer are accepted.

    Kevin Bonham
    ACF FIDE Admin Officer

  9. #9
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    852
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    They must (this is strictly non-negotiable) be eligible for registration with the ACF as an Australian citizen or resident (not necessarily permanent) and able to supply evidence of citizenship or residency.

    They need to contact me (k_bonham@tassie.net.au) advising that they wish to transfer and fill out all the necessary forms and provide required documents. They need to pay all applicable fees to the ACF themselves, which at minimum includes the Notification Fee of 250 Euro, and a small charge to cover the ACF's bank costs. In some cases other FIDE fees apply.

    It is entirely their responsibility to ensure their transfer is completed in time. In particular transfers can be sped up by obtaining a letter of non-objection from the former federation. While FIDE will ask the former federation to send such a letter, not all federations will reply. We will not chase up non-replying federations but the applicant is welcome to do so.

    We reserve the right to reject transfer requests. The case in which we usually do this is that a player is eligible to represent Australia but has never played here and has no real and lasting connection to the country. The vast majority of requests where the player is willing to pay for the transfer are accepted.

    Kevin Bonham
    ACF FIDE Admin Officer
    Thanks Kevin, I will notify the interested party.

  10. #10
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    686
    Shaun Press has confirmed with FIDE that the title requirements are as follows:
    Zonal - Open

    IM Title: 1st or equal 1st (Maximum 3 players eligible based on tiebreak in case of shared placing's)
    IM Norm: Silver and Bronze placing (ie 2nd & 3rd based on tie break in case of shared placing's)
    FM Title: 65% or greater Minimum 9 games (ie 6/9 or above for this event). No limit on number of titles awarded.
    CM Title: 50% or greater Minimum 9 games (ie 4.5/9 or above for this event). No limit on number of titles awarded.

    Zonal - Women's

    WIM Title: 1st or equal 1st (Maximum 3 players eligible based on tiebreak in case of shared placing's)
    WIM Norm: Silver and Bronze placing (ie 2nd & 3rd based on tie break in case of shared placing's)
    WFM Title: 65% or greater Minimum 9 games (ie 6/9 or above for this event). No limit on number of titles awarded.
    WCM Title: 50% or greater Minimum 9 games (ie 4.5/9 or above for this event). No limit on number of titles awarded.

    Note: A minimum of 8 players from at least 2 Federations is required in each event to be eligible for titles.
    Note that the 2 Federations requirement becomes 3 if either the Solomon Islands (currently a 'Federation in Arrears') rejoins FIDE, or Narau's application is accepted before the tournament.

  11. #11
    CC Candidate Master heligan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    330
    Maybe you could list the Open and Women's entries separately?

  12. #12
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Altecman View Post
    Thanks Kevin, I will notify the interested party.
    Note that Australia probably has an interest in strong chess players (e.g over 2200 or so) with overseas registrations retaining their overseas registration, since it can make organising norm tournaments in Australia a little easier. Therefore such a player might get invitations to closed tournaments as an OS player that they might not get as an Australian. Just something for that person to consider.

  13. #13
    CC Candidate Master Lighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    474
    Given the interest this is likely to generate, any title given is going to be well earned. Good luck to all players.

  14. #14
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    12,938
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighty View Post
    Given the interest this is likely to generate, any title given is going to be well earned. Good luck to all players.
    Since you are aiming to be an FM by 2016 - this could be your chance
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  15. #15
    CC Grandmaster Adamski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Penrith, NSW
    Posts
    8,701
    If I can get the leave from work, I will play.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

    Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

    Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

    Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Oceania Zonal 2015 July 4-10
    By Southern Cross in forum Oceania Chess
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 31-01-2015, 05:40 PM
  2. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 24-03-2013, 06:04 PM
  3. Oceania Zonal 2013
    By heligan in forum New Zealand Chess
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13-03-2013, 07:53 AM
  4. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 31-03-2009, 12:46 PM
  5. Oceania Zonal 2007
    By Denis_Jessop in forum Oceania Chess
    Replies: 175
    Last Post: 24-05-2007, 05:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •