Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    CC Candidate Master

2015 Doeberl Cup

Hi all,

Well it is that time again to prepare for your annual migration to the Doeberl Cup. Yes I know it is still five months off but that comes around quickly.

We have moved to a great new venue this year - University House at ANU. It is a beautiful setting with a large outdoor environment and 109 rooms. We have negotiated great room rates which include full buffet breakfast. It is a short ten minute stroll to the lake and two minutes walk to the new Nishi precinct which has restaurants and theatres. It is also about 15 minutes walk from Civic. There is a nice cafe on site and we will be working to have appropriate menu options available to support the theatre. There have been some slight modifications to tournament sizes but we are still able to cater for 260-280 comfortably.

The Premier will be in the Grand Hall, Major and Minor in the Commons Room and U1200's in the Drawing room.

There will be separate commentary, analysis and arbiter rooms.

If you want to keep up with the tournament signup to our newsletter on the website.

Look forward to seeing you there.

Entered and booked accommodation! See you all there!
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.
    Fully vaccinated since October, 21, 2021

I love the way this tournament keeps reinventing itself. Count me in.

“Sooner or later, everything old is new again.” Stephen King, The Colorado Kid

CC Rookie
    An excellent way to prepare would be to read my Doeberl Cup Book (The Doeberl Cup: Fifty Years of Australian Chess History). I'm now offering it at a greatly reduced discount price of $25.00 (postage to anywhere in Australia $12, possibly cheaper to Sydney, or parts of NSW). For more info contact me at wegan@pcug.org.au See Jeremy Silman's rave review at: http://tinyurl.com/knd9h2z
    I'll also have copies at the Australian Open in a few days time
    Bill Egan

CC Candidate Master
    Pleased to welcome back Surya Ganguly.

This year we will have two master classes - GM Ganguly for two hours on Wednesday night talking about his preparation with Anand for the World Championship and GM Van Wely on Thursday morning. Prices and timing will be listed on the website shortly.

CC Candidate Master
    Hi all,

Luke Van Wely has provided his topics for the Thursday morning master class and will be speaking on:
    1) positional sacrifices : the unusual way of sacrificing material.
    2) how to defend when your opponent is attacking : patience, precision and counter attack.

Details will be out soon for these master classes.

Great stuff, Charles. Good to see HM's Luke and Surya both returning to Aus.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    Great stuff, Charles. Good to see HM's Luke and Surya both returning to Aus.
    Luke has threatened to keep returning until he wins the cup!

CC Candidate Master
    Hi Charles,

With 5 out of the 9 players in the minor FIDE rated it would be a good time to start FIDE rating the minor as there is a clear benefit to the players.

Regards Narelle

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Narelle View Post
    Hi Charles,

With 5 out of the 9 players in the minor FIDE rated it would be a good time to start FIDE rating the minor as there is a clear benefit to the players.

Regards Narelle
    Thanks Narelle,

Yes with FIDE's changes a lot more players are getting FIDE ratings and at much lower levels. I will have a chat to the Chief Arbiter about it.

Charles

CC Candidate Master
    Hi all,

With the winner of the 2014 Womens Prize, Chinese player WIM Zhai Mo, having entered we are now just over half full in the Premier. Nice to see such a broad overseas contingent given that this the first time in recent years that the Doeberl Cup will run without an accompanying SIO.

CC Candidate Master
    Will there be wifi at the venue?

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Cross View Post
    Will there be wifi at the venue?
    Yes

for real!!!

In the beginning I thought 'hhhm well it's one of those April Fools jokes'!!!
    Well despite the date one of them is set (April 1st) it is a reality and what a wonderful experience it will be!!!
    Strong(er) players will have the opportunity to add a lot to their knowledge
    by joining in either one or both of the Masterclasses to be presented by two of the GMs
    participating in the 2015 Doeberl.
    For details of the extremely interesting themes and the amazingly affordable cost
    check out the tournament's website - link under Charles's signature!
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.
    Fully vaccinated since October, 21, 2021

CC Rookie
    Is there anyone who is interested in carpooling with me from Melbourne to Canberra? I've got a car, but I'm also happy to take a ride with someone else.

Thread Information