CC Rookie

Wall Hanging Chess Board Design

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post! I'm a chess enthusiast...I've never been very good, but always appreciated the game.

I'm currently living in a studio apartment that does not have any room to setup a chess board. So, I recently designed a minimal chess set that hangs on the wall like a functional piece of art. The set is laser cut from a single piece of Baltic birch plywood and then painted and assembled. Check out the design in the attached pictures here. I'd really appreciate feedback from the chess community.

I'm also trying to commercialize the design and bring the product to market. So, I launched a crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter to raise the necessary funds for manufacturing. The campaign page is HERE. Check out the video - it's pretty funny. I was fortunate to have Bernard Parham...US Chess Federation National Master...help me with the video.

Anyway, thanks for taking a look. I'm looking forward to the discussion!

Profile_Resized.jpgPawn_Resized.jpgKing_Resized.jpg

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    How do you find playing actual chess with this set up. The most distracting thing for me would be that the surround of the piece indicates its colour and the square colour is visible through the negative image of the chess piece in each piece tile. Perhaps it is the sort of thing you could get used to but it seems at first blush to be a distraction issue.

In any case, good luck with the venture.
    We may define “faith” as a firm belief in something for which there is no evidence. Where there is evidence, no one speaks of “faith.” We do not speak of faith that two and two are four or that the earth is round. We only speak of faith when we wish to substitute emotion for evidence. - Bertrand Russell

As an arty article it is fantastic of course but as usual with arty pieces not very functional. Due to it being 2D the height of pieces are limited by square size therefore the usual greater differences of height in Stanton pieces is not possible. So not easy to recognise especially from a distance.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC FIDE Master
    Looks awesome
    But what RW said... It's hard to see it would be enjoyable to play with.

CC International Master Bubbles's Avatar
    I think it looks nice as well.

As for functionality...............

If it was able to be easily detached from the wall, the board was double sided and able to be set up in a vertical orientation on its own stand then this might alleviate the necessity of having to stand whilst playing.
    I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

CC Grandmaster
    Why not have a conventional Demonstrating board (the one using magnets) instead?
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC International Master Kerry Stead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Why not have a conventional Demonstrating board (the one using magnets) instead?
    It's not particularly artistic Michael ... I think the aim of the piece is to be an artwork that has a secondary function of being a useable chess board ... not the other way around!

CC FIDE Master
    Making the pieces our of some plastic with a transparent surround and coloured figurine would make the design playable... but probably not as-attractive ?

CC Rookie
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Sounds like the biggest concern is functionality....The board is definitely a compromise between form and function. The purpose here was to create something that appealed to a broader audience...serious chess players, enthusiasts looking for a less intrusive board or "discerning individuals" that wanted some serious "art" for the man cave.

The idea was to cut out the profile of the piece so that you could easily see the square color during game play. Here is a shot of the board in the middle of a game.

Enemies_Small.jpg

I'm kind of surprised that the colored square was the biggest concern. I was actually more worried about the awkward perspective for black during game play...

This is really cool. I want one!

The only thing I would say is that the dark squares don't need to be that black. Just a darker shade of brown would be fine. It does say on your site that you can customise the board colour, but it doesn't show options.
    meep meep

I find the non-descriptive features of the pieces and lack of colour quite depressive - reminding me of the Iron Maiden of Inquisition infamy. But each to their own of course.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC Rookie
    The board and pieces can be painted in any color (not colour ) really. I'm also working on a higher end version with walnut inlays! Here is a shot of a colored board...

Profile_Color_FB.jpg

Thread Information