Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 81
  1. #46
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,734
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Renzies View Post
    BTW I inquired on the phone earlier today! The book is indeed available and was put on hold for me to pick on either this coming Mon or Tue!
    It will be my first visit to Chess World so I will have a look around for some other items that might interest me!
    Done!
    Apart from Browne's book, I also purchased a couple of endgame books.
    Absolutely impressed with the Chess World set-up. It's a great Chess place; please visit it if you haven't!
    Had a very interesting discussion with Carl Gorka!
    Many thanks to Lino (I hope I got the correct spelling) for his assistance!
    I look forward to visiting the place again soon!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

  2. #47
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,734
    In addition to the above.
    Reading the book is a fascinating experience in regards to Walter Browne's chess achievements as well as an insight into the GM's life story.
    If I come through as being overtly enthusiastic about the book it seems that I am in a good company:
    http://www.jeremysilman.com/shop/pc/...se-79p3858.htm
    One thing that I am looking for but still haven't found is some games of the GM versus Australian players or at least some encounters
    of his while representing the Australian colours.
    I haven't yet checked the very informative and extensive lists of contents. I generally avoid doing that before I finish the book!
    Last edited by ER; 17-11-2014 at 01:09 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

  3. #48
    CC Grandmaster Adamski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Penrith, NSW
    Posts
    8,693
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Renzies View Post
    In addition to the above.
    Reading the book, is a fascinating experience in regards to chess as well as the GM's life stories.
    Before I am accused as over - enthusiastic please have a look at the following review:
    http://www.jeremysilman.com/shop/pc/...se-79p3858.htm
    I agree. I found Browne's book easy to read.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

    Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

    Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

    Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

  4. #49
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Renzies View Post
    One thing that I am looking for but still haven't found is some games of the GM versus Australian players or at least some encounters of his while representing the Australian colours.
    I stumbled across (the first 20 moves of...) one of his games in An Opening Repertoire for the Attacking Player (Keene & Levy, Batsford, 1976), pages 102-103: P.Parr (!) vs Browne, Adelaide 1971.

    PGN Viewer
     

  5. #50
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,734
    Thanks Whatteaux! It would be interesting to have some more information in regards to games GM Browne played in or for Australia! In 1969 he won the Australian Championship in Melbourne - home ground of the then reigning champ Doug Hamilton who had won it consecutive times in 1965 and 1967! (Wiki) Well, I am still in the first chapter of the book after prefaces and introductions!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

  6. #51
    CC Grandmaster Adamski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Penrith, NSW
    Posts
    8,693

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Renzies View Post
    Well, I am still in the first chapter of the book after prefaces and introductions!
    You need to take a speed reading course!
    God exists. Short and to the point.

    Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

    Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

    Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

  7. #52
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,734
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    You need to take a speed reading course!
    LOL, thanks Adamski, excellent advice; Not so sure if it helps in studying and understanding a GM's games though!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

  8. #53
    CC Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    7
    (... belatedly)
    I don't know to what extent WSB (aka as six-time for his 6 USA champ wins) lived in Aust but I do remember him playing all-night lightning sessions with Serge Rubanraut at the place we shared in Kings X circa 1968/9. Serge had been banned for a few years by the NSWCA and could not compete. Starved of strong competition he was delighted to take on the blitz wiz WSB at 5min to 3 min for $20 a game. The sessions started early evening and went on till the morning when both emerged bleary-eyed into the daylight. With this time handicap Serge still lost but not by much. He considered the cost well worth the learning experience!
    Despite having very little chance to play serious chess for some years and a pitiful chess library (an old Panov opening book and IIRC Keene's Flank Openings) Serge won the 1976 Oz title from a fairly good field. IIRC it maybe included jammo and a youthful Rogers.

  9. #54
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,734
    Quote Originally Posted by peterjansen View Post
    (... belatedly)
    I don't know to what extent WSB (aka as six-time for his 6 USA champ wins) lived in Aust but I do remember him playing all-night lightning sessions with Serge Rubanraut at the place we shared in Kings X circa 1968/9. Serge had been banned for a few years by the NSWCA and could not compete. Starved of strong competition he was delighted to take on the blitz wiz WSB at 5min to 3 min for $20 a game. The sessions started early evening and went on till the morning when both emerged bleary-eyed into the daylight. With this time handicap Serge still lost but not by much. He considered the cost well worth the learning experience!
    Despite having very little chance to play serious chess for some years and a pitiful chess library (an old Panov opening book and IIRC Keene's Flank Openings) Serge won the 1976 Oz title from a fairly good field. IIRC it maybe included jammo and a youthful Rogers.
    Thanks Peter, invaluable piece of Australian Chess History. Keep them coming or even better collect them and publish them as a book!
    Similar advice to Bill Jordan and his recollections regularly published in Northern Star Chess's bulletins.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

  10. #55
    CC Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Living on the road, could be anywhere
    Posts
    8

    Browne vs Aussies

    "It would be interesting to have some more information in regards to games GM Browne played in or for Australia!"
    Regarding Elliott Renzies' request for Browne's games in Australia, from the extensive database I am building I have attached 22 Browne games.
    PS Elliott we played in Round 1 at Suncoast 24/01/2015.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by PaulNoosa; 27-01-2015 at 06:23 AM.

  11. #56
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,734
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulNoosa View Post
    "It would be interesting to have some more information in regards to games GM Browne played in or for Australia!"
    Regarding Elliott Renzies' request for Browne's games in Australia, from the extensive database I am building I have attached 22 Browne games.
    PS Elliott we played in Round 1 at Suncoast 24/01/2015.
    Hi Paul thanks and what a hard fought battle it was! Re Browne's game I look forward to going through your attached files when I get home. I am bush walking around QLD rain forests at present! Cheers!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

  12. #57
    CC Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6
    Note the game given as Woodhams-Browne should be given with colours reversed. A glance at the opening itself would verify this as Woodhams was a Taimanov fan while Browne played the Nadjorf. It's a pity the whole game is not given as Browne established an "overwhelming" position and Woodhams seemed to adopt a Steinitz persona and withdrew his few developed pieces to their original squares. Memorable play.
    I think Browne lost a really fine game to Lothar Schmid at the Lindums Tournament in 1971. Again, he had a significant space advantage but was exposed by Schmid's counter attack. Alas, I can't find this game either and I hope my memory is accurate!

  13. #58
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    934
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Note the game given as Woodhams-Browne should be given with colours reversed. A glance at the opening itself would verify this as Woodhams was a Taimanov fan while Browne played the Nadjorf. It's a pity the whole game is not given as Browne established an "overwhelming" position and Woodhams seemed to adopt a Steinitz persona and withdrew his few developed pieces to their original squares. Memorable play.
    I think Browne lost a really fine game to Lothar Schmid at the Lindums Tournament in 1971. Again, he had a significant space advantage but was exposed by Schmid's counter attack. Alas, I can't find this game either and I hope my memory is accurate!
    Matthew 7:7-11 - Ask, and it shall be given you

    [Event "Adelaide 1971"]
    [Site ""]
    [Date "2015.03.22"]
    [Round "6"]
    [White "Browne, Walter"]
    [Black "Schmid, Lothar"]
    [ECO "B03"]
    [Result "*"]

    1.e4 Nf6 2.e5 Nd5 3.d4 d6 4.c4 Nb6 5.exd6 cxd6 6.Bd3 g6 7.Nc3
    Bg7 8.Nge2 O-O 9.Be3 d5 10.c5 N6d7 11.O-O Nf6 12.Bb5 Nc6 13.h3
    Bd7 14.Rc1 Na5 15.b3 Bxb5 16.Nxb5 Ne4 17.f3 Nf6 18.Qd2 Re8 19.Bf4
    Rc8 20.Nxa7 Ra8 21.Nb5 Rf8 22.Nc7 Ra7 23.Nc3 Nc6 24.N3b5 Ra5
    25.b4 Ra4 26.a3 Nh5 27.Bh2 Na7 28.Rfe1 Nxb5 29.Nxb5 Qd7 30.Qd3
    Bh6 31.Rc3 Nf4 32.Bxf4 Bxf4 33.Rb3 Rfa8 34.Kf2 h5 35.Ra1 R4a6
    36.Rb2 Ra4 37.Rba2 e5 38.Nc3 R4a6 39.Ne2 Bh2 40.dxe5 Bxe5 41.Rd1
    Rd8 42.Qb3 d4 43.Rd3 Qf5 44.b5 Re6 45.Qc4 Rd5 46.Nxd4 Bg3+ 47.Kxg3
    Qe5+ 48.f4 h4+ 49.Kf3 Qe4+ 50.Kg4 Ree5 51.Rf2 Rg5+ 52.Kxh4 Rxg2
    53.Qxd5 Qxd5 54.Rxg2 Qxg2 55.Nf3 Qf2+ 56.Kg4 Qxc5 57.Ne5 Qg1+
    58.Kf3 g5 59.fxg5 Qxg5 60.Ke4 f6 61.Rd8+ Kg7 62.Nf3 f5+ *

    51...Rh5 was a quicker win.
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

  14. #59
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,734
    Quote Originally Posted by jammo View Post
    Matthew 7:7-11 - Ask, and it shall be given you
    [Event "Adelaide 1971"]
    [Site ""]
    [Date "2015.03.22"]
    [Round "6"]
    [White "Browne, Walter"]
    [Black "Schmid, Lothar"]
    [ECO "B03"]
    [Result 0-1]


    PGN Viewer
      0-1

    51...Rh5 was a quicker win. (IM Robert Jamieson)
    Last edited by ER; 22-03-2015 at 09:08 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

  15. #60
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    19,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I think Browne lost a really fine game to Lothar Schmid at the Lindums Tournament in 1971. Again, he had a significant space advantage but was exposed by Schmid's counter attack. Alas, I can't find this game either and I hope my memory is accurate!
    Seems like a touch of "annotation by result". Yes, Schmidt's counter-attack was ingenious, but for much of the game, Browne had an extra P and good position besides, so one would normally expect a GM to win from such a position.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. RIP Walter Browne
    By Carl Gorka in forum General Chess Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-07-2015, 03:08 PM
  2. Lifestyle hazards for ageing chess pros (sf Walter Browne obit thread)
    By Capablanca-Fan in forum General Chess Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28-06-2015, 02:25 PM
  3. Subscribing to threads
    By Garvinator in forum Help and Feedback
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 12:48 PM
  4. Walter Browne
    By WhiteElephant in forum General Chess Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17-06-2007, 12:01 PM
  5. AO vs other Qld posters (sf. various threads)
    By Arrogant-One in forum Non-Chess
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 21-11-2006, 11:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •