Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jammo View Post
    ... My first priority however is to go through my student's games at the Hjorth Open where I understand he had a few unimpressive victories. You may know him, his name is Sam Trewin.
    Indeed and he is a great kid.
    We had quite a bit of fun playing and then analysing afterwards.
    He (being a real young gentleman) was quite apologetic after his well deserved victory, since I made THE blunder while I think that I had his King in a forced check mate position!
    I showed him an opening counter-trap (kids stuff really) analysis of the Mortimer Trap in the Berlin Defence (for which he fell in the actual game and lost a piece in the opening).
    In that variation 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 Nf6 4. d3 Ne7 5. Nxe5 c6 6. Nc4 if Black hurries to grab the Bishop he gets mated in one!
    I am not upset losing to juniors. (I am used to it)
    Good luck to Samuel in both his chess and school work and I look forward to our next encounter!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammo
    What a brilliant idea. And while you are at it why not email Malcolm Fraser and ask him if he was Australian Prime Minister or not or email Leonid Sandler and ask him if he is CV President or not. Clearly the only way to establish a well-known fact is to ask the person concerned!
    Actually, in my opinion, Michael has a point there! Of course none ever doubted that Mr Fraser was Australian PM, or IM Leonid Sandler is the current CV president. But in GM Walter Browne's case we have a dispute here. We have a variety of opinions and claims and a public statement by the GM himself would clarify the situation once and for all!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Renzies View Post

Actually, in my opinion, Michael has a point there! Of course none ever doubted that Mr Fraser was Australian PM, or IM Leonid Sandler is the current CV president. But in GM Walter Browne's case we have a dispute here. We have a variety of opinions and claims and a public statement by the GM himself would clarify the situation once and for all!
    The only problem with your argument is that whether or not Browne was an Australian GM is not a matter of opinion, but a matter of fact. I was around when he got his title and played for Australia so I struggle to understand how anyone can be confused about this matter. It's like some young person coming up to you and asking for proof that the second world war happened.
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

CC FIDE Master
    As an after-thought, Elliot and Michael might care to read:

The Stress of Chess, (and its Infinite Finesse)
    My Life, Career and 101 Best Games
    by Walter Browne

There is one copy left at Chess World. It's a good read.
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

The only problem with your argument is that whether or not Browne was an Australian GM is not a matter of opinion, but a matter of fact. I was around when he got his title and played for Australia so I struggle to understand how anyone can be confused about this matter. It's like some young person coming up to you and asking for proof that the second world war happened.
    First of all, I never argued about Walter Browne's status as Australian Grandmaster

my original statement, post #3 was

POST 3

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott post #3)
    I had to adjust my signature to satisfy his correct protestation. His (that's yours) justified whinging, however, would have been more complete and more related to the topic if he added a couple of encouraging words in regards to what appears to eventuate as one of the most successful international events in the history of Australian Chess. Organisers, please add my congratulations to your formidable efforts! (ed) I corrected a spelling "mistake" in this paragraph although I 've seen the word spelled both as whingeing and whinging!
    And in reply to Pax’s “real sense” statement

Quote Originally Posted by Pax
    Because he (GM Walter Browne) doesn't count in any real sense.
    I responded with

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Renzies
    A tad harsh?
    Born in Sydney.
    Board one for Aus in two Olympiads.
    I stand to be corrected if I am wrong in claiming that he earned his GM title before he moved to represent USA
    Can those 2.5 facts be excluded from your interpretation of "any real sense"?
    Also. please consider the initial change of my signature from 'Australia's 1st GM' to 'Australia's GM' in regards to GM Ian Roger's title after your suggestion. The signature in its present form is an adoption of RW's very clever and tactful 'Australia's first home-grown GM' definition

So it is clear that I am not arguing against the fact. Actually, all I am seeking is its clarification to the point of not letting any cloud of ambiguity obscure the personality of GM Browne and his contribution to Australian chess.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

As an after-thought, Elliot and Michael might care to read:

The Stress of Chess, (and its Infinite Finesse)
    My Life, Career and 101 Best Games
    by Walter Browne

There is one copy left at Chess World. It's a good read.
    Please keep it for me. I will organise payment etc.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

I bought it and agree with jammo -WSB's autobiography is a great read. Must play over the games!

I have said it before but I played in a simul against WSB in Dunedin. Afterwards my father wrote an article about him in the ODT. I still have the clipping somewhere. I recall the title given to the article: "Swinging image for Chess Master". WSB was young then....
    Last edited by Adamski; 05-11-2014 at 09:34 PM.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

There is no cloud of ambiguity.

Jammo is correct when he says it is not a matter of opinion, but a matter of fact.

Browne represented Australia in the Asian Zonal in Singapore in 1969 where he earned his IM title.
    Note he could not have played in that Zonal if he was registered with FIDE as USA, as the USA was not and never has been part of the Asian zone.
    Browne switched federations to USA in 1974.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

BTW I inquired on the phone earlier today! The book is indeed available and was put on hold for me to pick on either this coming Mon or Tue!
    It will be my first visit to Chess World so I will have a look around for some other items that might interest me!

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski
    I bought it and agree with jammo -WSB's autobiography is a great read. Must play over the games!
    Thanks for recommending the book Adamski! Your opinion is always respected!
    Last edited by ER; 07-11-2014 at 01:10 PM.

CC International Master
    The only thing I have to add is the following from Wikipedia (taken from a reference on Ian Rogers's Wikipedia page):

Browne achieved the title earlier while briefly representing Australia between 1969 and 1972, but has always regarded himself as American.
    Grandmaster, FIDE Trainer, 2018-19 Australian Champion

Do you love your chess as much as I do?

What is your chess dream?

Are you willing to do what it takes?

Everyone who is an expert at something now...learned from another expert.

Share your chess journey with me illingworthchess@gmail.com and Ill give you my 7-Page Basic Chess Training Plan, to direct your chess training and improvement.

CC International Master AzureBlue's Avatar
    Could we please have a list of entries for the Walter Browne debate festival event?

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AzureBlue View Post
    Could we please have a list of entries for the Walter Browne debate festival event?
    And what exactly is the debate topic? Perhaps you should read post #37.

CC International Master
    The merits of Walter Browne's variant 'Finesse', during the rest day of the Australian Open, in the Castle Hill RSL car park.
    Grandmaster, FIDE Trainer, 2018-19 Australian Champion

Do you love your chess as much as I do?

What is your chess dream?

Are you willing to do what it takes?

Everyone who is an expert at something now...learned from another expert.

Share your chess journey with me illingworthchess@gmail.com and Ill give you my 7-Page Basic Chess Training Plan, to direct your chess training and improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Illingworth View Post
    The only thing I have to add is the following from Wikipedia (taken from a reference on Ian Rogers's Wikipedia page):
    In today's Sun Herald chess column GM Rogers whilst giving Max a good wrap goes on.............. The win has given a huge boost to Illingworth's world ranking, with the boy from Dee Why now needing only one Grandmaster level performance - in a tournament with multiple Grandmasters, the Hjorth Memorial result does not quality - to become Australia's fifth Grandmaster.

Implying that he does not consider Walter Browne an Oz Grandmaster??
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    In today's Sun Herald chess column GM Rogers whilst giving Max a good wrap goes on.............. The win has given a huge boost to Illingworth's world ranking, with the boy from Dee Why now needing only one Grandmaster level performance - in a tournament with multiple Grandmasters, the Hjorth Memorial result does not quality - to become Australia's fifth Grandmaster.

Implying that he does not consider Walter Browne an Oz Grandmaster??
    No. Australia has 4 grandmasters at the moment. If we get another one that makes 5. Browne is NOW a USA grandmaster.

No. Australia has 4 grandmasters at the moment. If we get another one that makes 5. Browne is NOW a USA grandmaster.
    Indeed so. AC is numerically challenged.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Thread Information