Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    CC Candidate Master flushfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    136

    Moderation of junior participation thread

    Can you place a similar ban on Rincewind? AC's comments were mildly accurate and interesting and to have them called 'absolute crap' with little explanation seems unwarranted.

  2. #2
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,139
    The problem with AC is that he can't get the point and just writes something, usually highly irrelevant to the discussion which could be quite annoying for other people. The problem with Rincy is the opposite. He is too smart and his comments might look unclear...

  3. #3
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,379
    The first part of AC's comments was of questionable relevance to a thread discussing junior participation rates and reasons why juniors are doing better in particular areas. After all the opening post was hardly arguing that participation rates are too low. The bigger problem was the second part - the part RW replied to - that asserted that "Many many adults have told me that they stopped playing chess when their child defeated them - what sour losers".

    Firstly even if that is true, it is just not relevant to the primary point of the initial post and is dragging the thread in an irrelevant direction. Secondly it is very likely that the "Many many" is a severe exaggeration anyway and it is not surprising it was challenged.

    When challenged to substantiate that claim AC then commenced discussing the moderation of a thread on the thread itself, something which he has been told never to do many many many times before, and even in some cases banned over, but he doesn't seem to learn. If he wanted to complain about RW's choice of language he should have done so by PM to a moderator.

    I am just not going to allow potentially serious discussions to immediately become theatres for AC's inability to follow the subject and insistence on threadjacking discussions into his pet rants. If he continues I will start excluding him from the serious sections of the board.

  4. #4
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16,767
    considering I have been teaching chess to juniors and beginners for 20 years many many just may may be possible, I get your hint and guessed when posting but thought such language should not be used in thread by a mod.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

  5. #5
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,567
    Quote Originally Posted by flushfyre View Post
    Can you place a similar ban on Rincewind? AC's comments were mildly accurate and interesting and to have them called 'absolute crap' with little explanation seems unwarranted.
    AC made a claim that he personally knew of many many adults who gave up chess because they were defeated by their child. I believe he was (as usual) exaggerating to the point of a simple bald-faced lie and called him to substantiate his claim. When asked to do so he mentioned one case vaguely (with insufficient details for a third party to verify) and then obfuscated.

    If you believe the claim is defensible, you can substantiate by provided the details of many many adults who have given up chess because they were beaten by their child.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  6. #6
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    AC made a claim that he personally knew of many many adults who gave up chess because they were defeated by their child. I believe he was (as usual) exaggerating to the point of a simple bald-faced lie and called him to substantiate his claim. When asked to do so he mentioned one case vaguely (with insufficient details for a third party to verify) and then obfuscated.

    If you believe the claim is defensible, you can substantiate by provided the details of many many adults who have given up chess because they were beaten by their child.
    I dont want to name and shame people, but I did give one obscure reference you could have figured out, on purpose it was obscure because we have had experience of him being touchy. There are about 8 dads I could name and about 20 strangers I met at beach chess.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

  7. #7
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,567
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    I dont want to name and shame people, but I did give one obscure reference you could have figured out, on purpose it was obscure because we have had experience of him being touchy. There are about 8 dads I could name and about 20 strangers I met at beach chess.
    Thirty fully certified psychiatrists have told me that AC is a compulsive liar. Now I could name and shame these people, but I won't. Let's just agree that they exist.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  8. #8
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,379
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    There are about 8 dads I could name and about 20 strangers I met at beach chess.
    And very few of these are tournament-level players or parents of tournament-level players so they have nothing to do with the thread (beyond that their attitudes might prevent their children becoming tournament-level players in the first place.) Serious players are generally delighted once their child is strong enough to beat them (of course, there might be a fair amount of good-natured cursing of this outcome at the time.)

    Just try thinking before posting, instead of assuming you always have to jump in and post something irrelevant that will steer a thread into something that seems to inevitably be negative, contentious and grotty and usually a subject you have rabbited on about before.

  9. #9
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,567
    A key part of the claim to my mind (apart from the claim of there being abundant numbers) was that they "gave up chess". Not gave up playing their child, but gave up chess. Surely AC is the only person I can think of who is petulant enough for that. Sure once the child is a few intervals above the parent in playing strength then games between the two of them would be come very predictable. Perhaps they would just agree to not play one another (or at least only play an odds or something). However that is not the same as giving up chess.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  10. #10
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    A key part of the claim to my mind (apart from the claim of there being abundant numbers) was that they "gave up chess". Not gave up playing their child, but gave up chess. Surely AC is the only person I can think of who is petulant enough for that. Sure once the child is a few intervals above the parent in playing strength then games between the two of them would be come very predictable. Perhaps they would just agree to not play one another (or at least only play an odds or something). However that is not the same as giving up chess.
    THEY GAVE UP CHESS is what they told me. We know from the considerate number of comp players who are bad losers that some players react badly, and if their young children can defeat them more than likely means that they would not reach competition level, so most competition players would not have met them. I met them because I am exposed to them with giant set on the beachfront and them with nothing better to do but chat whilst their child is playing me. It is a very common phenomena. I was upset because earlier I had to complain about Bill's use of language against Keong Ang in Arbiters thread and now I was copping the same treatment.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

  11. #11
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,567
    If you had any substance to back up what you say then that would be worth hearing. However all we have is you spraying crap all over the place and then making stuff up to "substantiate" the first story.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  12. #12
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,379
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    I was upset because earlier I had to complain about Bill's use of language against Keong Ang in Arbiters thread and now I was copping the same treatment.
    I don't believe a word of this. You're trolling.

  13. #13
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    If you had any substance to back up what you say then that would be worth hearing. However all we have is you spraying crap all over the place and then making stuff up to "substantiate" the first story.
    Don't you know that the world is full of frustrated chess players, that is they want to play but are not capable to competently do so, so they do not play.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

  14. #14
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    I don't believe a word of this. You're trolling.
    well both you and RW need lessons in don't trust your instincts. You check out Feedback and Whinging Thread, that was genuine and I was disappointed that no action was taken. Bills language was a very bad look for the board and for NSWCA
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

  15. #15
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,379
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    well both you and RW need lessons in don't trust your instincts. You check out Feedback and Whinging Thread, that was genuine and I was disappointed that no action was taken. Bills language was a very bad look for the board and for NSWCA
    My "instincts" tell me you're still trolling, Bill being one of your pet targets for trolling for many years. You have no involvement with the NSWCA and you have posted so many things that are a bad look for this board that the idea that you genuinely care is just ludicrous. In the extremely unlikely case that you are some misunderstood moral genius I'm sure you can figure out the extent to which you bring it on yourself and that on that basis there is no call for this faux outrage.

    It may also be that you don't have the attention span or understanding to realise that some of the things Keong says about the laws are actually frustratingly silly (especially on account of them coming from a titled arbiter) and whatever you think or pretend to think about the language involved they are not, at base, unreasonable responses and there is no moderation issue.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Junior participation in weekender open tournaments
    By Z&MLoh in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 23-10-2014, 10:13 PM
  2. Moderation of bushfire thread
    By Mischa in forum Help and Feedback
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 16-02-2009, 09:03 AM
  3. Junior Ratings Discourage Participation? Yes or no?
    By Basil in forum Ratings Arena
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 09-07-2006, 05:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •