View Poll Results: Should burqas be allowed in chess tourneys?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 28.57%
  • No

1 14.29%
  • It's a non-issue

4 57.14%

Should burqas be barred in chess games?

Now there is controversy as to whether women wearing burqas should be allowed into parliament house, presumably as guests as we have no such women elected to parliament to claim that right yet. Even Tony Abbott, a macho man, feels confronted by such attire - and this is from the guy who from a woman's allegation smashed the wall around her head with punches???

But what about chess games? We are accustomed to seeing our opponents face, even trying to read their emotions, that body language is so important. So if the burqa can be warn does the wearer have an advantage because she can read our faces but we cannot read hers? Could we be even certain we are playing the correct person? There may be an imposter for cheating purposes, or if there are many burqa-wearing women and one sits down at the wrong board we could not detect. How could a DOP even be certain that is dealing with the correct person if they wore the same colour and style of burqa? But the distinctive give aways are the height and voice. But the voices can be similar as well as body size, but some Muslim women are not even allowed to talk to non related outside men. So they could not be questioned unless by a female DOP and an opposing male player could not even often a draw etc.

As we already make concessions for Jewish chess players, such as having someone else record their moves on the Sabbath etc then it would be discriminatory not to make special provisions for Muslim women.

This poll is private and only one vote is permitted
    Last edited by antichrist; 02-10-2014 at 07:05 AM.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Poll replaced

I removed the original poll and replaced it with a simpler one with the same poll question. I did this because the original options were factually misleading (implying that the issue of permission to wear head covering at the board was a matter of religious concession), because the original options might prevent people from voting who had an opinion, and because the time window was too short. The new options are just Yes, No, and It's a non-issue. antichrist is not permitted to complain about this decision.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 02-10-2014 at 12:03 PM.

Another question that comes to mind that a prayer room may be requested, that is another hassle. I wonder what takes place in international tournaments? But if at a big venue then no problem but our venues are mostly restricted. I don't think a registered club will give us another room for free for prayers, esp considering that such religious folk are not permitted to gamble (poker machines), certainly not much wrong with that.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    AC, I think if you tried playing a tournament game wearing a burqa you'd find that the disadvantage of wearing one outweighs any advantage of ability to conceal one's facial expressions. In any case players should be looking at the board not their opponent.

Curiously there doesn't seem to be a lot by way of rules on this. I think this is because the standards of nations where tournaments are run would vary so greatly - in one country Islamic head dress of some sort might be legally compulsory, in another it might be illegal.

Being satisfied that the right player is at the right board is a matter for the organisers who can impose whatever reasonable procedure they wish to check this, including if necessary requiring the player to remove head coverage in a private place in the presence of an official of the same gender (this is following the rules required for mobile phones.)

I know there are some teams at Olympiads that will play in hijabs but I am not aware of any that are required to play in burqas or that do. Unless you can present evidence that there are actually players who play in burqas in international tournaments, I suggest it's a non-issue.

If a player deliberately wore a burqa when not required to, and did so to distract an opponent, that would be covered under the distraction rule.

I presume that a bikini would also be considered a distraction. but if playing at byron beach front then okay

If the burqa cannot be worn what about a balaclava? Frankly a chess tornament that would ban TISM isn't a chess tournament worth having.
    meep meep

CC Grandmaster
    I do not think it is an issue with chess. Furthermore, few tournament organizers have some kind of ''dress-code''
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Thread Information