Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

George Trundle Masters and Challengers

September 27th - October 5th - George Trundle Masters & Challengers , Auckland
    Organised by the New Zealand Chess Federation. Venue: National Chess Centre, Devonport, North Shore, Auckland (www.nationalchesscentre.co.nz).
    The Masters is a 9-round all-play-all international tournament, by invitation only. IM norm 6.5. Spectators welcome. The Challengers is also a 9-round all-play-all.

Live games can currently be found at:
    Masters - http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/live/Masters/tfd.htm
    Challengers - http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/liv...engers/tfd.htm

I'll put up some more links (including iPad-friendly) shortly...

CC Grandmaster
    Where to see the crosstable?
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Where to see the crosstable?
    Tournament information and all links can be found in the George Trundle section of the New Zealand chess calendar webpage (arranged in chronological order) located at http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/calendar.html
    Alternatively you can view it at the New Zealand chess results webpage http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/results.html where it would remain after the event. Entries in the calendar webpage are removed after the end of the event.

All FIDE rated events in NZ are administered with Vega. More detailed tournament information is available from Vega generated webpages.
    The crosstable is available there. Direct link to the George Trundle Masters crosstable is http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Veg...rosstable.html

Hope this helps.

IA Keong Ang
    Chief Arbiter.
    IA Keong Ang

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly." Abraham Lincoln

Wonder why it is taking so long for Anton's IM title to be listed in his FIDE record.

His IM title application was approved in August 2014 and rating of 2415 since 1st September exceeds 2400 rating requirement.
    It's already October and these things normally only take about 15minutes to actually process. Delays are usually due to communication between federation and FIDE, the email may sit in FIDE Elista's inbox until working hours. Otherwise, this is just a matter of the federation emailing FIDE to acknowledge acceptance of title.

I may need to demote him into FM and issue a new set of board cards and other tournament stationery. Correcting fluid looks unprofessional and scratching/crossing out mistakes looks even worse! Hopefully this would be unnecessary.

Situations like this give the impression that some feud between player and federation or federation and FIDE is occurring...
    IA Keong Ang

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly." Abraham Lincoln

A few games from rounds 1 to 4

[Event "George Trundle Masters 2014"]
    [Site "Devonport, Auckland NZL"]
    [Date "2014.09.27"]
    [Round "1.2"]
    [White "Polishchuk, Kirill"]
    [Black "Smirnov, Anton"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [WhiteElo "2197"]
    [BlackElo "2415"]
    [ECO "B21z"]

PGN Viewer

[Date "2014.09.27"]
    [Round "1.4"]
    [White "Johansen, Darryl K"]
    [Black "Steadman, Michael V R"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [WhiteElo "2392"]
    [BlackElo "2258"]
    [ECO "A17"]

PGN Viewer

[Date "2014.09.29"]
    [Round "3.2"]
    [White "Lane, Gary W"]
    [Black "McLaren, Leonard J"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [WhiteElo "2358"]
    [BlackElo "2218"]
    [ECO "B81i"]

PGN Viewer

[Event "George Trundle NZ Masters"]
    [Site "Devonport, Auckland, NZL"]
    [Date "2014.09.30"]
    [Round "4.3"]
    [White "Smirnov, Anton"]
    [Black "Smith, Robert W"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [LiveChessVersion "1.4.4"]
    [BlackElo "2260"]
    [WhiteElo "2415"]
    [ECO "E11"]

PGN Viewer

[Event "George Trundle NZ Masters"]
    [Site "Devonport, Auckland, NZL"]
    [Date "2014.09.30"]
    [Round "4.4"]
    [White "McLaren, Leonard J"]
    [Black "Johansen, Darryl K"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [BlackElo "2392"]
    [WhiteElo "2218"]
    [ECO "B52"]

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Capablanca-Fan; 01-10-2014 at 09:23 AM.
    “If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.” — Abba Eban on the UN general assembly

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi on the UN kakistocracy

Go Gary!!
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly playing at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keong Ang View Post
    Wonder why it is taking so long for Anton's IM title to be listed in his FIDE record.
    Because of the 60 days rule. When someone applies for IM their norms are displayed for 60 days in case someone wants to question one of them and say the results are wrong or the tournament is fake or the information is incorrect (etc). Even if the title is approved it is not formally confirmed and displayed until the 60 days has passed. Same thing happened with Max Illingworth at the previous Olympiad in the same circumstances.

Delays are usually due to communication between federation and FIDE, the email may sit in FIDE Elista's inbox until working hours. Otherwise, this is just a matter of the federation emailing FIDE to acknowledge acceptance of title.
    It is absolutely none of that - quite the reverse in fact - as I submitted Anton's application to the FIDE office in Tromso myself in person and made it abundantly clear we wanted it assessed at Tromso even at the cost of the title surcharge. Indeed initially FIDE office told me there was not going to be an end-of-Olympiad QC session in Tromso as there was in Istanbul. I questioned this and then when it was confirmed there would be such a session I communicated with QC and FIDE to ensure the title would be processed in Tromso, which it was.

I may need to demote him into FM
    Technically, his correct title remains FM until the 60 days have passed. A commonly used description for a player in his situation is "IM-elect".

Situations like this give the impression that some feud between player and federation or federation and FIDE is occurring...
    Instead of posting such absolutely groundless and insulting garbage publicly without even asking the relevant federation official first you could try actually reading the Handbook:

Quote Originally Posted by FIDE Handbook
    A title is officially valid from the date all the requirements are met. In order for a title to be confirmed where it is based on an application, it must be published on the FIDE website and in other relevant FIDE documents for at least 60 days. For registered automatic titles see 0.5 below.
    Anton's title was applied for on 10 August. I would have made an application provisional on rating earlier but I could not do so as no copy of Anton's final norm had been sent to me. (Anton had a paper copy of his final norm achieved just pre-Olympiad but was travelling.) The title should appear as confirmed about 60 days from 10 August.

If you're worried about looking unprofessional, try not writing silly posts like #5 in future.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 01-10-2014 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Because of the 60 days rule. When someone applies for IM their norms are displayed for 60 days in case someone wants to question one of them and say the results are wrong or the tournament is fake or the information is incorrect (etc). Even if the title is approved it is not formally confirmed and displayed until the 60 days has passed. Same thing happened with Max Illingworth at the previous Olympiad in the same circumstances.
    Thanks Kevin. This explains why Anton's rating record showed the title as having been approved but still remains FM. When the application was submitted is not shown and takes a bit of digging around various parts of FIDE's website to discover.

Obviously for something that is quite inconsequential, I'm not going to bother other federation officials. Hence the musing on an unofficial forum like this.
    Think it should be obvious that post #5 is really about things like large posters around here having an "I" instead of "F".
    Wonder why stating a common impression whenever things look odd should be insulting...
    IA Keong Ang

Quote Originally Posted by Keong Ang View Post
    Obviously for something that is quite inconsequential, I'm not going to bother other federation officials. Hence the musing on an unofficial forum like this.
    As the federation official in question I can say that it bothers me much more when someone goes implying nonsense about us in public than when someone asks me a polite question by email offline first.

Wonder why stating a common impression whenever things look odd should be insulting...
    Because it's not very kind when your first response to a situation is to get the impression that the ACF might be involved in a feud, instead of considering the possibility that you might just not be across what is actually going on. Anyone who has a clue about these processes would not get any such silly "impression".

It's even less kind to go voicing that suspicion publicly. Five years from now I will possibly have to deal with some idiot who read your post 5, didn't see my reply, and ever since then believed what you wrote.

Thumbs up

Congrats to GM Darryl Keith johansen and IM Anton Vladimirovich Smirnov for tying for 1st with 6.5/9, a point ahead of FM Robert Wayne Smith (NZ), himself a point ahead of IM Paul Anthony Garbett (NZ) and IM Gary William Lane.

See crosstable.

Here is Anton's elegant last-round win with a piece sacrifice for ‘domination’:

[Event "George Trundle Masters"]
    [Site "?"]
    [Date "2014.10.05"]
    [Round "9.5"]
    [White "Smirnov, Anton"]
    [Black "McLaren, Leonard J"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [BlackElo "2218"]
    [WhiteElo "2415"]
    [ECO "B80"]

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Capablanca-Fan; 06-10-2014 at 06:46 AM.
    “If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.” — Abba Eban on the UN general assembly

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi on the UN kakistocracy

CC International Master Tony Dowden's Avatar
    Congratulations to Anton and Darryl too
    Fischer visiting Tal in hospital - Curaçao 1962

"You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one." - Mikhail Tal
    "Best by test" (on 1.e4) - Bobby Fischer

That game by Anton is a gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Dowden View Post
    Congratulations to Anton and Darryl too
    Ditto and congrats to all the prize-winners. Good to see Darryl staying on for South Island competitions.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly playing at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Smirnov Tag Team Effort

GM Rogers reports in the week's Byron Echo how Dr Vlad Smirnov had to hold GM Johansen to a draw in the round to give Anton a chance at first place. And lo & behold, Vlad in spite of poor form for the competition achieved just that. The article gives an analysis of the Anton Smirnov Vs McClaren game that he describes as brilliant. http://www.echo.net.au/byron-echo/ page 15
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Thread Information