CC Candidate Master

Tablets and chess

I'm going to be getting a "tablet" for portability. Mainly to help organise travel photography and to access e-mails whilst I'm away. Does anyone have good advice on what tablet goes best with a good chess program - I would expect that to be ChessBase as it goes with the Everyman chess books, but I may be wrong. I'm open to suggestions.

CC Candidate Master
    Sorry folks, tablets and chess does not seem to be a goer. Thanks to those who looked but there is no answer.

Tablets just don't have the processing power you need for a decent chess engine and GUI, if they did the battery life would be under an hour. The only viable option for a tablet is a decent website and a consistent enough connection. Definitions of what constitutes decent will be determined by your requirements, but the only one I'm willing to promote is Lichess.
    "Omnia quia sunt, futūtum sunt."
    Website: Organised Adversary - ICCF: 30667 - ICCF Rating: 2051 (unfixed)
    OpenPGP/GPG Key: 0x321E4E2373590E5D - BTC address: 18Ua6y7D65QatEDZ36dtWNWpG9Ttrd4eqy

CC FIDE Master
    Which OS are you intending?

Droidfish is a reasonably solid free Android download. Chessbase is available for Android as well.

If you get a Windows tablet with full Windows 8 or 8.1 (as opposed to Windows RT), then you get the full Windows experience, and can put anything on it. If you get an Asus Transformer with Windows (they also come with Android), it has the option of a keyboard dock which means it can be used as a laptop replacement, and also sorts out any issues with drive space (full USB plug so can use thumb drives or external hard drives) or battery life (the dock has a second battery - total battery life is around 8-10 hours).

Obviously they aren't as a powerful as a full laptop or desktop PC, but will run Chessbase or Fritz fine.
    IA Craig Hall

www.chess.org.nz - Canterbury Chess Club
    http://respectrum.nz - Major sponsor

Thread Information