Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CC Candidate Master Gnostic Bishop's Avatar

Women. Religion’s longest running victims.

Here we are in civilized and enlightened societies and cultures in high tech times and we are not smart enough to recognize that the world will continue in strife as long as we men do not give women full equality as a minimum to what men should do towards the care of families.

I hope you are astute enough to see this. If you do nothing then you know not what duty to your family should be. The women in your family deserve to be first class citizens.

Men are maintaining God’s curse against women. He will rule over you.

Men. Christians, Catholics and Muslims. Free your women. It’s time. Man up.

Please.

Regards
    DL

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Gnostic Bishop, I notice you've posted more or less exactly the same post on dozens of other forums, so I should advise you that while this forum has non-chess sections, it is primarily a forum for discussion of chess, and for discussion of other subjects by people interested in chess. Are you a chessplayer?

A poor one. Yes.

I admit that I am prolific but that should not effect what you judge. Unless you have something against free speech and association.

I hope not. Good minds are hard to find and that is why I go around.

Regards
    DL
    Last edited by Gnostic Bishop; 29-08-2014 at 10:07 PM.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic Bishop View Post
    Unless you have something against free speech and association.
    I have something against misuse of the concept of "free speech", though I don't believe you're guilty of it. Just to avoid even the slightest risk of misunderstanding though: this website is privately owned, and all free speech rights existing on it belong to its owner. The ability of posters to share in those rights is determined entirely by the owner, in practice through the actions of site staff.

We don't compel posters to talk about chess or show any convincing sign of playing the game with any skill at all, otherwise Damodevo would have been disposed of long ago. But I do like to ensure that posters who wish to engage in generic soapboxing (right wing, left wing or otherwise), without first showing some connection to chess, know that that kind of thing is not among this forum's primary purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    I have something against misuse of the concept of "free speech", though I don't believe you're guilty of it. Just to avoid even the slightest risk of misunderstanding though: this website is privately owned, and all free speech rights existing on it belong to its owner. The ability of posters to share in those rights is determined entirely by the owner, in practice through the actions of site staff.

We don't compel posters to talk about chess or show any convincing sign of playing the game with any skill at all, otherwise Damodevo would have been disposed of long ago. But I do like to ensure that posters who wish to engage in generic soapboxing (right wing, left wing or otherwise), without first showing some connection to chess, know that that kind of thing is not among this forum's primary purposes.
    I hear you. With computer chess around, it is now impossible for one to show that they can play chess so I will have to hope that I do not offend a mod. I will try my best.

As a Gnostic Christian, I am duty bound to try to vigorously engage Christians and will do so as gently as I can.

Regards
    DL

Here we are in civilized and enlightened societies and cultures in high tech times and we are not smart enough to recognize that the world will continue in strife as long as we men do not give women full equality as a minimum to what men should do towards the care of families.

I hope you are astute enough to see this. If you do nothing then you know not what duty to your family should be. The women in your family deserve to be first class citizens.

Men are maintaining God’s curse against women. He will rule over you.

Men. Christians, Catholics and Muslims. Free your women. It’s time. Man up.

Please.

Regards
    DL
    Women get it too easy as it is. They can just stay at home and collect a free living, and if they run away they can take half the loot with them. I am thinking of changing into a woman any day now.

I worked out that Paul McCartney's wife would have got about $25,000 for each time she satisfied her husband. hahaha
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    Women get it too easy as it is. They can just stay at home and collect a free living, and if they run away they can take half the loot with them. I am thinking of changing into a woman any day now.
    You will have to change religion.

Regards
    DL

You will have to change religion.

Regards
    DL
    I was thinking of Scientology coz a lot of famous rich guys hang you there.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

I was thinking of Scientology coz a lot of famous rich guys hang you there.
    Why do you seek a Gods? Or do you?

If you do seek, is this not how you should seek?
    To a Gnostic Christian like me, no other God will do.

Regards
    DL

Evangelical churches believe men should control women. That’s why they breed domestic violence
    The Conversation

A literal reading of the Bible

Evangelical Christians believe biblical scripture is “truth” that “requires our unreserved submission in all areas of life”. They consider scripture to be “inspired by the Holy Spirit”, so “it is the supreme and final authority on all matters on which it speaks”.

The effect of evangelical Christianity on women’s vulnerability to domestic violence is yet to be measured through a comprehensive survey in Australia. But the extensive reporting on domestic violence in the evangelical Sydney Anglican Diocese challenges harmful and stubborn attitudes that place religious doctrine over the safety of women.

This resistance to cultural change is also shown by teachings on the permanence of the marriage covenant, another way women are potentially trapped in violent marriages.
    Male authority in God’s plan

Traditional understandings about male headship, both in the family and the Church, were promoted as being ordained by God. This meant the authority of men and the subordination of women were considered to be “permanently binding” principles.

Conservative evangelical Christians enthusiastically embraced this as a form of resistance against the feminist movement, and still support these “permanently binding” principles today. ...

But these religions due to their anti-woman stance also lack female members. A few mates of mine were in Jehovah Witness and one left due to impossibility of finding a woman in the church, the other one is still womanless and is aged about 50 years.

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)

Regular evangelical church attenders LEAST LIKELY to be abusers

This old furphy? I thought that JuLiar Baird, whom this article relies on uncritically, had been thoroughly discredited when she claimed the same thing. E.g.

07 [2017] Jul Julia Baird on Christianity and Domestic Abuse
    Mark Durie

There has been media attention this past week to an article by Julie Baird on the ABC website about links between domestic violence and church teachings. There was also a recent 7.30 report on the same topic by Julia Baird and Paige MacKenzie.

These reports document cases where religious claims are used to justify domestic violence. I was interviewed on the Bolt Report for Sky News on Tuesday about this, and my opening response to Andrew Bolt was “To be fair, on this particular issue, I do feel Julia Baird has a point … I’ve encountered many women with stories like the one she describes, and it is the case that there are churches through their theology and practices that do make the abuse of spouses worse. And we do need to have a public discussion about it.”

At the same time, there were significant distortions in Baird’s references to American research on this issue, which led sociologist W. Bradford Wilcox, one of the researchers, on to whose work Baird’s article relied on, to publish a critique in The Australian. Criticising Baird for presenting a ‘relentlessly negative picture of the influence that Christianity has on domestic violence’ Wilcox reported that US research actually shows an inverse correlation between church involvement and domestic violence: men and women who attend church regularly are the least likely to be abusers. What the US research actually shows is that nominal evangelical Protestant men who never or rarely attended church were the most violent. So Wilcox asked, “How would bad Christian preaching, teaching or counseling be a major factor in spousal abuse if the worst abusers are rarely or never in the pews? It doesn’t follow.” He reported hat “couples report significantly higher quality relationships if they attend church together.” [Emphasis added]

The ABC’s media watch host Paul Barry criticized Baird’s article for ‘cherry picking’ research reports, and I can only agree with him that “It’s just a shame that it tarnished an otherwise compelling and worthwhile investigation.” For my teaching on relationships in marriage please see latest blog post at oaktreevicar.blogspot.com.au, and my recent sermon from June 18 2017 on ‘Transformed Marriages’.

The controversy over Baird’s journalism also reflects the politicisation of religion in our time. It is difficult to have a balanced, fair discussion about a connection between faith and human behaviour because there is so much invested in this issue for so many. Some have a deep-seated bias against faith, and others have tendency to white-wash it. But faith can have positive or negative affects on people’s behaviour, depending upon what the belief is, and it is legitimate to discuss these things.

Rev. Durie's follow-up article is:

29 Jul [2017] Chinese Whispers: More on Julia Baird on Christianity and Domestic Abuse

Baird quoted from an article by Tracy published in 2008 which stated that:

“It is widely accepted by abuse experts (and validated by numerous studies) that … evangelical men who sporadically attend church are more likely than men of any other religious group (and more likely than secular men) to assault their wives.”

To support this claim, Tracy referred readers to an article of his published in 2007 in the Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society. The key reference is found in footnote 44. Tracy cites five published sources in his footnote, which is attached to the end of a statement that “Conservative Protestant men who attend church regularly are found to be the least likely group to engage in domestic violence, though conservative Protestant men who are irregular church attendees are the most likely to batter their wives.” Note that there are two parts to his statement, but only the second part was picked up in Tracy’s 2008 paper.

Tracy’s sloppiness was twofold. First, his 2007 article did not actually report that evangelical men are more likely than secular men to beat their wives. Second, in relation to his assertion regarding ‘numerous studies’, while the five sources he cites in the 2007 article did support the first part of his statement, that the more men attend church, the less likely they are to beat their wives, only one of these five, an article by W. Bradford Wilcox, supported the claim that “conservative Protestant men who are irregular church attendees are the most likely to batter their wives.”

One might say this is splitting hairs, because if there is a negative correlation between church attendance and domestic violence, then of course irregular church attenders should be more likely to be violent than the regulars. However one of the sources cited by Tracy in 2007 was a New Zealand study which found that men who never attend church are the worst abusers, at almost double the rate of sporadic church attenders, and five times the rate of regular church attenders. This appears to contradict Tracy’s 2008 claim that secular men are less likely to abuse than sporadic attenders.

I summary, a chain of errors in citation has taken place here. First Tracy makes a sloppy citation in his 2007 paper. Then he distorts this with a further sloppy citation in his 2008 paper. Then Baird picks up this distorted report and runs with it. In this way multiple research findings which indicated that church attendance is preventative of domestic violence became a suggestion that “denominations and churches that preach and model male control” are a cause of domestic violence.

Although I believe it is true that preaching and modeling male control sometimes does make domestic violence worse, what seems clear is that the research Baird referred to does not show this. Most of the fault lies with Tracy’s sloppy referencing. Baird should have checked Tracy’s evidence more carefully. Instead she joined a chain of Chinese whispers which transformed research findings that men’s involvement in Christianity was protective of women, to imply a positive link between church teaching and domestic violence.
    [Emphasis in original]
    Last edited by Capablanca-Fan; 13-12-2019 at 01:50 AM.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

But these religions due to their anti-woman stance also lack female members. A few mates of mine were in Jehovah Witness and one left due to impossibility of finding a woman in the church, the other one is still womanless and is aged about 50 years.
    In my considerable experience of speaking in churches in five countries, women are the ones having a hard time finding men in church.

G.K. Chesterton (1874–1936) noted the contradictory attacks of the christophobes, including the following:

Or, again, certain phrases in the Epistles or the marriage service, were said by the anti-Christians to show contempt for woman’s intellect. But I found that the anti-Christians themselves had a contempt for woman’s intellect; for it was their great sneer at the Church on the Continent that ‘only women’ went to it.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    In my considerable experience of speaking in churches in five countries, women are the ones having a hard time finding men in church.

G.K. Chesterton (1874–1936) noted the contradictory attacks of the christophobes, including the following:

Or, again, certain phrases in the Epistles or the marriage service, were said by the anti-Christians to show contempt for woman’s intellect. But I found that the anti-Christians themselves had a contempt for woman’s intellect; for it was their great sneer at the Church on the Continent that ‘only women’ went to it.
    But do you agree with me that the JWs sound crazy?

But do you agree with me that the JWs sound crazy?
    Yes, but for different reasons, e.g. theological as well as their rejection of blood transfusions.

Thread Information