Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,308

    Acf Executive position eligibility

    It looks like the discussion in the nswca agm thread is going to branch off regarding Acf Executive position eligibility. Can a moderator split the thread starting at post 174

  2. #2
    CC International Master JGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,120
    I was not sure where to post this?:
    A certain someone (no naming names for obvious reasons ) running for the ACF Presidency pulled out a classic line in the latest ACF newsletter:

    'So, my intention as ACF President is to simply be the "ideas man" and not to "DO" everything, in fact not to "DO" much at all.'

    (somehow reminded me a lot of the pigs in Animal farm )

    ...but he definetley has some ideas. Im sure his words will be the topic of much of todays conversation (if we are allowed to discuss such matters here, bu really we must when the topic is the ACF Presidency ).

  3. #3
    Mr Bulldogs Paul S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by JGB
    I was not sure where to post this?:
    A certain someone (no naming names for obvious reasons ) running for the ACF Presidency pulled out a classic line in the latest ACF newsletter:

    'So, my intention as ACF President is to simply be the "ideas man" and not to "DO" everything, in fact not to "DO" much at all.'

    (somehow reminded me a lot of the pigs in Animal farm )

    ...but he definetley has some ideas. Im sure his words will be the topic of much of todays conversation (if we are allowed to discuss such matters here, bu really we must when the topic is the ACF Presidency ).
    I had a good laugh when I read David Cordover's letter in the latest ACF email newsletter. Suffice to say that "an ideas man who plans not to do much at all" is not my idea of what an ACF President should be! To be fair, some of his ideas are OK, but some are laughable (eg $100,000 for Australia's next GM - I am sure we can all think of better ways to spend $100,000 on Australian chess - of course that assumes a willing sponsor can be found to donate that much!).

    I am also "less than entusiastic" about the prospect of David becoming the next ACF President due to:
    1) my dislike for some of his marketing/advertising methods.
    2) the manner in which he dumped Mt Buller in July, creating extra hassles and work for an already overburdened ACF President (George Howard).
    3) his woeful running of the 2003 Grand Prix (the only time he appeared to do something was when people like myself would complain about it on the Bulletin Board or elsewhere) while at the same time being happy to take free publicity/advertising (2003 GP naming rights) for his chess business.

    Reading David's letter in the latest ACF news bulletin had the opposite effect on me to which David intended - earlier today I sent an email to NSWCA Council recommending them to vote for Denis Jessop!

    VOTE 1 DENIS JESSOP FOR ACF PRESIDENT!!!
    Last edited by Paul S; 02-12-2004 at 11:52 PM.

  4. #4
    Mr Bulldogs Paul S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    758
    Doesn't anyone else have an opinion on (or care) who the next ACF President should be?

    My only concern about Denis is his age. Apart from that (much like with Norm Greenwood), I have only heard good things said about Denis, which must be a good thing (and indicates to me that he is worthy of being the next ACF President).

    Does nobody else have an interest in who the next ACF President should be? I would have thought that after the banning from this Chess Chat Forum of Denis' opponent (this is another reason why I would prefer that David Cordover was not the next ACF President), that other BB members would have voiced their opinions by now!

  5. #5
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    648
    While I also endorse Denis for President, one reason why no one is really commenting on this is that we (Australian chess players) do not have a part in the decision making process. Was the issue of who the NSWCA would vote for raised at the AGM? I guess the forum where most chess players have a say (if they choose) is their State AGM (except for Victoria) and usually these meetings are concerned with local matters and very rarely with the well being of the national scene.
    If you really want to influence the electoral process my advice would be to volunteer to be a state delegate at the National Conference. At least then you would actually get to vote.

  6. #6
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,672
    I think the other reason nobody has commented, is that given recent events, Guru is just so extraordinarily unlikely to be elected president that the election seems a foregone conclusion.

  7. #7
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,308
    and also that a person could be threatened with legal action again in commenting on this issue.

  8. #8
    CC International Master JGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    and also that a person could be threatened with legal action again in commenting on this issue.
    I wouldn't worry about that crap. Anyone can comment on the possible ACF Presidency without slandering a name and without having to worry about legal action. I just did not state 'his' name in my post coz I did not want to cause trouble around here.

  9. #9
    Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wollongong
    Posts
    4,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul S
    Doesn't anyone else have an opinion on (or care) who the next ACF President should be?
    Here is my observation and the reason I don't care.

    The people who do stuff will continue to do stuff regardless of title or position. Deliniation and codification of duties does not work because of Paul's Theory - the greatest problem in chess is lack of workers. Those few doers will do what is necessary to balance the books and award titles.

    The ACF is powerless because the clowns that sit on it don't have a plan. A few good people keep the engine ticking - eg Gletsos, PaulB - and occationally, a white knight rescues an event - eg Howard.

    Get a professional manager in. Then very state and club does what they are told to do or their members don't get rated or play in championships. Pay him/her according to performance.

  10. #10
    CC Grandmaster Spiny Norman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul S
    Suffice to say that "an ideas man who plans not to do much at all" is not my idea of what an ACF President should be! To be fair, some of his ideas are OK, but some are laughable (eg $100,000 for Australia's next GM - I am sure we can all think of better ways to spend $100,000 on Australian chess - of course that assumes a willing sponsor can be found to donate that much!).
    Depends what he means by "not doing much" I suppose. In an environment where there's always a lack of willing workers to take on important roles I can see why that wording would rub some people up the wrong way.

    First of all, let me say that I don't endorse any candidate for the position. I don't know enough about them nor do I know enough about the current issues in Australian Chess to form an enlightened view on who would be best to lead the community over the next couple of years.

    But there are different views of things and I think MrC probably said what he said because he is approaching chess from a business perspective. I don't think there's anything wrong with bringing that perspective to the table. I'm not saying either that predecessors haven't done so, because I don't know them and can't comment. But I've done my fair share of time in business and I think I share some of that perspective with MrC.

    For example, should the Chairman (or CEO, or whatever) of Telstra be organising service calls for people's phones (yes, I know I'm being extreme in drawing this point). No, his job is to:

    1. Develop and refine organisational strategy
    2. Develop and refine an effective team (to implement the strategy)
    3. Develop strong relationships with key stakeholders


    Now if the organisation (Australian Chess in this case) is small (we are) and rapidly growing (we're not, but we'd all love to be!) then there's another critical success factor that will likely consume 80% or more of the leader's time:

    • Raising funds


    Lack of capital for growth is what holds back myriads of businesses and I don't think there'd be too many people who'd disagree with the proposition that if we had more funds to spend on improving venues, improving tournament and club visibility in the community, media liason and so forth we'd grow faster than we are at present.

    So, back to MrC's statement. It kind of makes sense to me if viewed in the above light. I would expect the leader to be working ON the organisation(s) and not IN them. Strategy, planning, relationship building with stakeholders (yes, that's often called schmoozing by those of denigrate this important function!), and so on.
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

  11. #11
    Mr Bulldogs Paul S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    758
    Hi Shaun. Nice to hear from you. Hope to catch up with you at some chess event in Canberra in Easter 2005 ( what could that chess event be ).

    Quote Originally Posted by shaun
    Was the issue of who the NSWCA would vote for raised at the AGM? I guess the forum where most chess players have a say (if they choose) is their State AGM (except for Victoria) and usually these meetings are concerned with local matters and very rarely with the well being of the national scene.
    This matter was NOT raised at the NSWCA AGM. As you suggest, those people present were more preoccupied with local matters than ACF matters. The point you raise is a good one, though - I think that for future NSWCA AGMs a standing item on the agenda "matters for consideration at upcoming ACF National COnference" should be included.

    BTW, this year's AGM was quite long (3 hours and 40 minutes), so it may have been just as well that it was not discussed at this year's AGM - meeting may have lasted over 4 hours otherwise!

    Quote Originally Posted by shaun
    If you really want to influence the electoral process my advice would be to volunteer to be a state delegate at the National Conference. At least then you would actually get to vote.
    I don't feel that strongly about this issue to travel 700 km to (and 700 km back from) Mt Buller just to cast a vote! Besides, NSWCA Council may decide to vote as a block (instead of proportionately) on this (and/or other issues), so if, theoretically, I was on NSWCA Council, it is possible that I would be "forced" to vote for something I don't agree with (if I ended up travelling to Mt Buller)!

  12. #12
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul S
    I don't feel that strongly about this issue to travel 700 km to (and 700 km back from) Mt Buller just to cast a vote! Besides, NSWCA Council may decide to vote as a block (instead of proportionately) on this (and/or other issues), so if, theoretically, I was on NSWCA Council, it is possible that I would be "forced" to vote for something I don't agree with (if I ended up travelling to Mt Buller)!
    that is just this year, the national conference might be in perth next year

  13. #13
    Mr Bulldogs Paul S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    I think the other reason nobody has commented, is that given recent events, Guru is just so extraordinarily unlikely to be elected president that the election seems a foregone conclusion.
    You may well be correct there. Personally I can't see anyone outside the Victorian delegates voting for Mr Cordover.

    All the same, I find it surprising that the upcoming ACF Presidential election has attracted virtually no posts on this forum, especially in light of David's legal threats against Kar.thick and others on this Chess Chat forum of earlier this year.

    BTW, in light of David's legal threats against this Chess Chat forum (and some of those involved with this forum), this is another reason why I would prefer it if David was NOT the next ACF President!
    Last edited by Paul S; 04-12-2004 at 03:45 PM.

  14. #14
    Mr Bulldogs Paul S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    that is just this year, the national conference might be in perth next year
    If someone wants to pay for my airfare to and from Perth, I would be willing to go!

  15. #15
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul S
    You may well be correct there. Personally I can't see anyone outside the Victorian delegates voting for Mr Cordover.
    The GURU did not get voted onto the CV Committee this year.












    He did not stand for election.

    starter

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Training position series
    By Kerry Stead in forum Coaching Clinic
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 22-02-2006, 08:45 PM
  2. New Laws of Chess as of 1st July 2005
    By Bill Gletsos in forum Arbiters' Corner
    Replies: 129
    Last Post: 02-11-2005, 09:45 PM
  3. Live at the BBQ (slow loading)
    By jeffrei in forum Games and Analysis
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 18-09-2004, 07:00 PM
  4. Another Training Position (intermediate)
    By Kerry Stead in forum Coaching Clinic
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-05-2004, 08:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •