Cool My favourite loss

The 90+30 tournament on Lichess has reached the final round. For me it began with this unexpected win and now it has ended with an expected, yet still enormously satisfying loss. You need only look at the rating difference to see why I'm pleased to just not be slaughtered.

[Event "90/30 Tournament #1"]
    [Site "http://lichess.org/uv3XyTZd"]
    [Date "2014.08.16"]
    [Round "4.1"]
    [White "AdmiralA"]
    [Black "Hasimir"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [Annotator "lichess.org"]
    [BlackElo "1527"]
    [ECO "E04"]
    [EventDate "2014.07.21"]
    [Opening "Indian Game, Anti-Nimzo-indian; Catalan, open (5.Nf3)"]
    [TimeControl "5400+30"]
    [Variant "Standard"]
    [WhiteElo "2310"]
    [WhiteTitle "Lichess Master (LM)"]

PGN Viewer

It'll take my engines most of the day to analyse this thing, possibly a good deal longer than that. I'll write my own annotations later, but I'm sure there might be one or two people here willing to pick over it during a lazy afternoon.
    "Omnia quia sunt, futūtum sunt."
    Website: Organised Adversary - ICCF: 30667 - ICCF Rating: 2051 (unfixed)
    OpenPGP/GPG Key: 0x321E4E2373590E5D - BTC address: 18Ua6y7D65QatEDZ36dtWNWpG9Ttrd4eqy

Was taking on c1 necessary? White seemed to free up after that.
    meep meep

Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    Was taking on c1 necessary? White seemed to free up after that.
    Are you referring to the bit at around move 19 or 20? If so, according to the notes I've got here the only viable alternative I saw within the time available was 19... bxc4, but that just postpones the trigger of several exchanges to the mid-20s. I'm still waiting on a proper analysis to be sure, though, plus I'm fairly certain that c1 gets taken out then too. Unsurprisingly that part is taking a while.

I'm also gradually working through my own annotations. Rest assured I'll post that and the computer analysis when they're done. Actually, since this is the last round, I'll be putting the PGN for the entire thing online soon enough (there's one or two more games left) and the analysis and annotations for them sometime thereafter.

As the event name indicates though, this is merely the first. Maybe there's a chance that some of the rest of this forum will give Lichess a shot and join in. Unlike most sites, nothing is installed, registration is not mandatory (unless you want rated games) and registration doesn't require an email address (but that means there's no password recovery, so guard it wisely).
    OpenPGP/GPG Key: 0x321E4E2373590E5D - BTC address: 18Ua6y7D65QatEDZ36dtWNWpG9Ttrd4eqy

Quote Originally Posted by Hasimir View Post
    Are you referring to the bit at around move 19 or 20?
    Yes, was wondering about omitting this and continuing with the ...b4 idea around 18 or 19 or so.
    meep meep

Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    Yes, was wondering about omitting this and continuing with the ...b4 idea around 18 or 19 or so.
    The alternative line began with 19.Nb3 bxc4 20.Nbd2 Na5 followed by the Queens and Knights dancing around each other for a few moves and then something like another half a dozen pieces being exchanged. I don't actually know for sure yet which of those is better, it either needs the engines to work them over or I need to play through them all. If it's not included in what the engines do on the current run, I'll throw the positions into something and see what gets spat out.

Anyway, the first engine is about three quarters of the way through its analysis, so these won't be anywhere near finished for a while. With the settings I put in, each engine will be number crunching for around 16 hours (actually a little under) and the first one started at about 7:00am.

In the mean time, you can amuse yourself with the ending to this game:

http://en.lichess.org/3lZBZdY1

Which was followed by this:

http://en.lichess.org/KXSVzleN/black

It reeks of a setup, but who cares when it's as funny as that.

CC Grandmaster
    Instructive game
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by Hasimir View Post
    The alternative line began with 19.Nb3 bxc4
    Personally I would prefer to leave white's pawn on c4, where it is somewhat in the way. Taking on c4 seems to free up that square Eg for the Q or N, as well as open the c-file. I'd much rather play ...b4 and try to get those pawns up there, unless there is some tactical refutation.
    meep meep

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    The game continuation looks best, leaving the P at c4 (as rr says). The suggestion of keeping the N on the strong d3 makes sense, especially after the classic Kasparov victory, with doubling the Rs on the d3 file. I presume that you were concerned about the lack of P support and no retreat squares, so exchanging it on c1 seems the least risky.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Analysis and Annotations

I've finished annotating this game and running the analysis on it. Since the PGN viewer here is a bit crap and can't display the alternate lines offered by the engines or the commentary terribly well, I've thrown the results through ScidvsPC and zipped the lot up. The zip file is here.

Thread Information