Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,050

    Uniforms at the Tromso Olympiad

    It is interesting to see the different approach to Oceania team uniforms at the Tromso Olympiad.

    Some teams always look smart; for example, the Guam Open team look really good in Jackets, both Palau teams are wearing attractive full-length uniforms, the Fiji teams are wearing yellow polo shirts, PNG also have polo shirts.

    Not sure about Australia, New Zealand and Solomon Islands. Maybe these teams take less pride in their appearance?

  2. #2
    CC FIDE Master Keong Ang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    951
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones View Post
    It is interesting to see the different approach to Oceania team uniforms at the Tromso Olympiad.

    Some teams always look smart; for example, the Guam Open team look really good in Jackets, both Palau teams are wearing attractive full-length uniforms, the Fiji teams are wearing yellow polo shirts, PNG also have polo shirts.

    Not sure about Australia, New Zealand and Solomon Islands. Maybe these teams take less pride in their appearance?
    Both NZL teams and every official were supplied with smart looking jackets.
    Looking at how they are dressed, it looks like conditions are too hot to bother wearing jackets.
    IA Keong Ang

    2017 Australasian Masters 29th Australain/Australasian Masters
    2018 NZ Chess Congress 125th New Zealand Chess Congress

    New Zealand Chess News
    "The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly." Abraham Lincoln

  3. #3
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones View Post
    It is interesting to see the different approach to Oceania team uniforms at the Tromso Olympiad.

    Some teams always look smart; for example, the Guam Open team look really good in Jackets, both Palau teams are wearing attractive full-length uniforms, the Fiji teams are wearing yellow polo shirts, PNG also have polo shirts.

    Not sure about Australia, New Zealand and Solomon Islands. Maybe these teams take less pride in their appearance?
    May be some teams are more focused on playing quality chess rather than uniforms...
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  4. #4
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    May be some teams are more focused on playing quality chess rather than uniforms...
    Or maybe they are just poorly dressed...
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

  5. #5
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    12,971
    It is a shame that in a team sport that all teams are not required to wear team uniforms. Almost all others sports require it. It is a shame that chess does not require it. I certainly think the whole 'product' would look much better if all the countries were in their colours, rather than in 'rag tag' clothes, so to speak.

    With Fide banging on about dress codes a lot, it is surprising that this has not come up as an issue.

  6. #6
    CC Grandmaster Redmond Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Westside
    Posts
    3,114
    Apparently, Hikaru Nakamura is representing New York Red Bull -

    https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/d...amura--usa.JPG

    This must be a brand new country that I had not heard about previously.
    Ruin is formal, devil's work,
    Consecutive and slow -
    Fail in an instance no man did,
    Slipping - is Crash's law,

  7. #7
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvinator View Post
    It is a shame that in a team sport that all teams are not required to wear team uniforms. Almost all others sports require it. It is a shame that chess does not require it. I certainly think the whole 'product' would look much better if all the countries were in their colours, rather than in 'rag tag' clothes, so to speak.

    With Fide banging on about dress codes a lot, it is surprising that this has not come up as an issue.
    Not a bad idea...if only the national federation does provide a uniform .
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  8. #8
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,392
    All of the continents have continental team championship other than Australia I guess...may be time for an Oceania team championship...or club championship
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  9. #9
    CC Candidate Master Hasimir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    All of the continents have continental team championship other than Australia I guess...may be time for an Oceania team championship...or club championship
    Wouldn't there be asian or south-east asian tournaments to take on? Surely contesting such things as those would be better than creating a new one from scratch (with all the logistical trouble that goes with it).

    As a semi-related side note, I do find it a little strange that Crown Casino hasn't staged an event surrounding the Game of Kings with their obvious royal motif. Perhaps someone could find a marketing guru to pitch it to them and make it seem like a PR coup.
    "Omnia quia sunt, futūtum sunt."
    Website: Organised Adversary - ICCF: 30667 - ICCF Rating: 2051 (unfixed)
    OpenPGP/GPG Key: 0x321E4E2373590E5D - BTC address: 18Ua6y7D65QatEDZ36dtWNWpG9Ttrd4eqy

  10. #10
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wynyard,Tas
    Posts
    2,035
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvinator View Post
    It is a shame that in a team sport that all teams are not required to wear team uniforms. Almost all others sports require it. It is a shame that chess does not require it. I certainly think the whole 'product' would look much better if all the countries were in their colours, rather than in 'rag tag' clothes, so to speak.

    With Fide banging on about dress codes a lot, it is surprising that this has not come up as an issue.
    I can't think of many sports where there's a requirement to wear a uniform other than where players, officials and spectators have a need for easy identification of who is on which team, though no doubt there are specific events.

    In any case uniforms have nothing to do with "pride in your appearance". Teams could dress in identical ripped tee-shirts. The typical uniform, sport or otherwise, is at best in the mid-range of sartorial elegance.

    Even if it looks good, a room with 1200 people wearing the same shirt for eleven days has an obvious down side.

  11. #11
    CC Candidate Master Hasimir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout View Post
    I can't think of many sports where there's a requirement to wear a uniform other than where players, officials and spectators have a need for easy identification of who is on which team, though no doubt there are specific events.

    In any case uniforms have nothing to do with "pride in your appearance". Teams could dress in identical ripped tee-shirts. The typical uniform, sport or otherwise, is at best in the mid-range of sartorial elegance.

    Even if it looks good, a room with 1200 people wearing the same shirt for eleven days has an obvious down side.
    Besides, every country wants their team to be comfortable so they can concentrate on the contest and not FIDE playing at reminscences of high school.
    "Omnia quia sunt, futūtum sunt."
    Website: Organised Adversary - ICCF: 30667 - ICCF Rating: 2051 (unfixed)
    OpenPGP/GPG Key: 0x321E4E2373590E5D - BTC address: 18Ua6y7D65QatEDZ36dtWNWpG9Ttrd4eqy

  12. #12
    Batoutahelius road runner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    on the skin of the pale blue dot
    Posts
    11,267
    meep meep

  13. #13
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,392
    I think if someone offers a team uniform (and pays for it) most teams will surely accept, but not all teams are being offered one. Also, some players (like Karjakin for instance) have individual contracts with sponsors so have to wear items with their sponsor's lable on them.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  14. #14
    CC Candidate Master Hasimir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    I think if someone offers a team uniform (and pays for it) most teams will surely accept, but not all teams are being offered one. Also, some players (like Karjakin for instance) have individual contracts with sponsors so have to wear items with their sponsor's lable on them.
    Sounds like a good opportunity to raise funds. Tell companies: sponsor our team, pay for uniforms and your logo is front and centre on the uniform along with the country's flag. Now, here are our additional requirements ...
    "Omnia quia sunt, futūtum sunt."
    Website: Organised Adversary - ICCF: 30667 - ICCF Rating: 2051 (unfixed)
    OpenPGP/GPG Key: 0x321E4E2373590E5D - BTC address: 18Ua6y7D65QatEDZ36dtWNWpG9Ttrd4eqy

  15. #15
    Batoutahelius road runner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    on the skin of the pale blue dot
    Posts
    11,267
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    I think if someone offers a team uniform (and pays for it) most teams will surely accept, but not all teams are being offered one. Also, some players (like Karjakin for instance) have individual contracts with sponsors so have to wear items with their sponsor's lable on them.
    Can we put players on contracts to wear shoes and socks?
    meep meep

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Palau send full teams to Tromso Olympiad
    By Brian_Jones in forum Oceania Chess
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-07-2014, 12:18 AM
  2. FIDE World Cup Tromso 10 Aug - 5 Sep
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 03-09-2013, 03:50 AM
  3. Olympiad financial support sf. 2006 Torino Olympiad
    By Vlad in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 10-07-2006, 02:42 PM
  4. 2006 Torino Olympiad [All Olympiad results discussion here - mod]
    By Garvinator in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 798
    Last Post: 02-07-2006, 11:20 AM
  5. PNG at the Olympiad
    By shaun in forum Oceania Chess
    Replies: 112
    Last Post: 22-11-2004, 02:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •