Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    CC Rookie
    December 2015 Issue Avaliable!

The year has passed so quickly, we are already onto our final issue. In this issue, Ian Rogers shows us some highlights from the World Rapid and Blitz Championships as well as looking at 15 key moments which capped off a dramatic year in chess. We catch up with Justin Tan and Rishi Sardana after their recent success in the World Youths for Australia. With the regular entertaining studies, openings, endgames and psychology articles included.

You can login at 50movesmagazine.com

cover_500x647.png

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Just had a quick read of my copy. Shows how busy I had been this year that I had not already seen some of the brilliant moves in Ian Rogers' 15 in 15 article, such as Khismatullin-Eljanov.

This magazine has everything chess players of various strength levels need.
    I have to admit though that I miss IM Guy West's articles.
    I hope that Guy, one of my favourite Australian chess players and writers will soon resume his contribution to 50 Moves!
    Last edited by ER; 01-12-2015 at 12:24 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC Rookie
    The February 2016 issue of 50 Moves is out now!

To download the latest issue head to https://50movesmagazine.com/magazine

cover_february2016_500x647.png

In the interesting interview with Kanan Izzat I saw this:

And yeah, this SHOULD be
    my 2nd GM norm, but it is very questionable,
    because in 2012 I performed 2600 in Baku
    Open tournament, but technically to get a GM
    norm I should perform 2601, however, I was
    told that I d have to send letter to FIDE and
    sort this thing out with them, sadly, I was (still
    am) too lazy to bother, so I might have lost
    that norm, but I will contact them soon and
    sort this thing out.
    By my calculations he performed at 2599 under FIDE's formula (2519 average after rounding up +80 for 5.5/9) and it is not quite a norm. A RP of exactly 2600 is a norm. 5.5/9 vs opponents of average rating 2519.5 and up is a norm.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 11-02-2016 at 09:37 AM.

CC FIDE Master
    Just read the February issue and am a bit disappointed by the inaccuracy of some of the content.

On the cover we learn that "Australian Championships - Kana Izzat wins the open" whilst inside we read that "Kanan then went on to convincingly win the Australian Championships."

My understanding is that there is an "Australian Championship Tournament" which was won by Kanan (it's not described as the Open) and of course Bobby Cheng won the Australian Championship title as the highest placed Australian in that event.

In Max Illingworth's interview the editor starts a question with the comment "You are only the 5th Australian to have ever gained the title ...." Why does everyone forget Walter Browne?

Anyway I guess it could be worse .... the Baron could be the Editor.
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

CC Candidate Master
    Just out of curiosity Jammo, was his Federation Australia or America when he passed away? I get it with the way it's worded but I feel, say if Kanan Izzat changes his Federation to Australia after he gets his GM title he'll be Aussie's 6th/7th/8th etc GM and not Azerbaijani's GM, I'm not sure if you're arguing with the way it's worded as "The 5th Australian" or the whole concept.

After reading up, I see : before switching to representing the United States in 1974.
    I mean I'm not sure say if the Philippines still try and own Wesley So and say he was their "X" GM.
    Last edited by ThebeJohnston; 27-02-2016 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThebeJohnston View Post
    Just out of curiosity Jammo, was his Federation Australia or America when he passed away?
    USA, for what it's worth. He was Australian by birth, and representing Australia when he won the title. Was he also a citizen or dual citizen? (I'd suspect so).

I also would have appreciated more precision on what exactly Kanan won (as per jammo's post) just to avoid any confusion that might arise. The Aus Champs isn't an open; it is a closed tournament to which otherwise ineligible players are sometimes invited.

Quote Originally Posted by ThebeJohnston View Post
    Just out of curiosity Jammo, was his Federation Australia or America when he passed away? I get it with the way it's worded but I feel, say if Kanan Izzat changes his Federation to Australia after he gets his GM title he'll be Aussie's 6th/7th/8th etc GM and not Azerbaijani's GM, I'm not sure if you're arguing with the way it's worded as "The 5th Australian" or the whole concept.

After reading up, I see : before switching to representing the United States in 1974.
    I mean I'm not sure say if the Philippines still try and own Wesley So and say he was their "X" GM.
    Thomas you will be able to find some general background to your questions here

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....ghlight=browne

nevertheless you will have to dig deep into the tons of surrounding drama to uncover it - good luck!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quite a lively Doeberl report in the current edition.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Quite a lively Doeberl report in the current edition.
    The magazine is an enjoyable read but has its flaws. For instance heading "James Morris wins Doeberl Cup" imposed on big picture of someone who is clearly not James Morris; Ballarat Begonia Open Report - interesting read but no note as to who the author is; "History of Ballarat" by Doug Hamilton ... I think they mean "History of Ballarat Begonia Open Chess Tournament"; I noted one incorrect diagram ... and so on. Maybe they need a better proof-reader.
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

CC International Master Kaitlin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jammo View Post
    The magazine is an enjoyable read but has its flaws. For instance heading "James Morris wins Doeberl Cup" imposed on big picture of someone who is clearly not James Morris;
    ..... not that old photo of Augustus
    .. this Caketin is full of little spiders and watermelon seeds.....

..Chess is all about fear and psychology

..Chess is like an exam..... you havent studied for

..If you're good at Chess it means you are very intelligent and could potentialy do great things
    ..... but that you might have wasted that playing way too much chess

Quote Originally Posted by jammo View Post
    The magazine is an enjoyable read but has its flaws. For instance heading "James Morris wins Doeberl Cup" imposed on big picture of someone who is clearly not James Morris; Ballarat Begonia Open Report - interesting read but no note as to who the author is; "History of Ballarat" by Doug Hamilton ... I think they mean "History of Ballarat Begonia Open Chess Tournament"; I noted one incorrect diagram ... and so on. Maybe they need a better proof-reader.
    Actually the very entertaining Ballarat Begonia report does disclose its author partway through. I couldn't find an author credit for the Doeberl report though - I assume it was Ian Rogers but I agree that the author of all reports should be clearly stated. Also in the proofreading department, the word "Australian's" appears twice but the first time should be "Australians" and the second time "Australia's".

CC Candidate Master
    Re pic of Max on cover - can you still play with speakers in your ears? I thought that had been outlawed somewhere - wouldn't that at least make his opponents suspicious?

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rookie999 View Post
    Re pic of Max on cover - can you still play with speakers in your ears? I thought that had been outlawed somewhere - wouldn't that at least make his opponents suspicious?
    Susan Polgar has spoken specifically about Max before saying it's fine, I'm not sure what type of safety precautions they go through beforehand, I assume it's up to the arbiters discretion on whether it's allowed or not
    I know Shaun Press has told me before it's clearly not connected to anything but I haven't looked that closely at it before

Thread Information