Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    CC Candidate Master
    50 Moves is launching tomorrow. The first issue has plenty of content; the PDF is 83 pages and the PGN contains 64 games files. It's the best way to get up to date with Australian chess so subscribe today at http://50movesmagazine.com/!

CC International Master
    Congratulations guys and good luck!

http://chessasia.com/50-moves-magazine/

Thumbs up Great first issue

Quote Originally Posted by Fedge View Post
    50 Moves is launching tomorrow. The first issue has plenty of content; the PDF is 83 pages and the PGN contains 64 games files. It's the best way to get up to date with Australian chess so subscribe today at http://50movesmagazine.com/!
    Hi Fedja. Guy showed me the first issue last night - I was really impressed by the amount, range and quality of the contributors and content. I design a 52 page commercial wildlife magazine every couple of months and it's a huge amount of work. I can only image what 80 plus pages was like... a remarkably generous first issue which very few would read in one sitting - there's so much for one thing and a lot of games you'd want to return to. Subscribers will definitely be getting their money's worth (even if you drop the page count by 30!) Best of luck with it.

Jean Watson (in case you don't know who Watto is)
    Last edited by Watto; 06-08-2014 at 08:15 AM.

CC Candidate Master
    Wow!

I might be biased, having contributed an article, but this is an amazing start. Well done to Fedja, Moulthun and all the people who did the work to put this epic first issue together.

I implore Australian chessplayers to get behind this by taking out a one year subscription early. If chessplayers wait to 'see how it goes', it will place undeserved financial pressure on the owners. At only $40 for a year it's fantastic value. 83 pages in the first issue alone and although this size won't be sustainable (you would think), it's obvious that the editors are aiming to make this one of the best local chess magazines in the world.

One thing I really liked about it was the amount of personality that comes through in the magazine. It's not at all dry and even the games and study sections are very intimate and give you a good sense of the person who contributed them.

Another thing I liked was that it is quite apolitical. It doesn't take potshots at any chess administrations or players and is very positive and enthusiastic. It's all about the game we love, but not just dry games and results, it's all about the personalities and stories behind it.

The instructional material is also great! I've already improved 100 rating points just from the rook endings section alone.

My advice would be to keep the length to about 50 pages to make sure it is sustainable in the long term, so maybe keep some articles that are not time-sensitive up your sleeve for the inevitable periods when the going gets tough. Also, keep working on the proofing and keep aiming for perfection, as there are always subscribers who are sticklers for grammatical precision.

Great effort. Keep up the good work.

CC Candidate Master
    Thanks Guy and Jean for your kind words.

We wanted to make the first issue really special so we're glad to hear a lot of positive feedback (and some constructive criticism!). Our contributors did an amazing job and we were really blown away by the length and quality of the columns; the only downside was that it put even more stress on us as editors and we were already cutting it very fine with time. A few of the editing errors have been fixed after the initial release with new PDFs posted the other day after some feedback we got - it's good to know there's at least a few enthusiastic people reading the whole mag

Putting it together was really enjoyable with the interviews being a real highlight. We hope readers enjoyed the first issue and we've got some surprises planned for the upcoming issues so hopefully it will get even better from here.

CC Candidate Master
    The October issue is out now. We cover Australia's performance at the Olympiad in-depth and speak to Olympic Champions Natalia Pogonina and Wang Yue. For that and a lot more (issue two is also over 80 pages) see http://50movesmagazine.com/

Another really impressive issue! It will take a while to read it all but I am looking forward to it.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    Another really impressive issue! It will take a while to read it all but I am looking forward to it.
    Big thank you to everyone involved!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Do yourselves a favour!

Just managed to get some time for chess this beautiful sunny arvo.
    Had a look at 50 moves.
    Worked out 3/5 of Anton's trivia
    Knew 7/10 of the editor's quizzes and I fluked one more!
    Made a hard copy of Chris's endings and Max's h3 Najdorf
    and doing a bit of balcony studying!
    BTW
    Clubs, coaches, book & equipment suppliers and everyone involved in chess
    make yourself a favour and advertise your services in the 50 moves magazine!
    It's going to be a solid investment!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

"[himself cuban] fan" gets a mention as well.
    Ruin is formal, devil's work,
    Consecutive and slow -
    Fail in an instance no man did,
    Slipping - is Crash's law,

CC Candidate Master
    Many thanks to the owners of 50 Moves for a very generous donation to my Movember fundraising efforts! Much appreciated. http://au.movember.com/mospace/10544585
    Last edited by Gattaca; 26-11-2014 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Added link.

Hi,

I was just wondering when the website would be back up to view the December instalment.

Cheers,
    Bubbles.
    Consecutive and slow -

CC Candidate Master
    Hey Bubbles,

We should be back online on Friday with the December issue. Sorry to keep you (and everyone else) waiting!

Hey Bubbles,

We should be back online on Friday with the December issue. Sorry to keep you (and everyone else) waiting!
    No worries, will check back then.

Thanks for the reply.
    Consecutive and slow -

CC FIDE Master
    Hey Bubbles,

HELP! I haven't received my password and all the contact emails bounce. Is anyone else having problems getting their magazine?
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

Thread Information