Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun
    The clocks were supplied by Australian Chess Enterprises. The arbiters were made aware of this potential problem, as well as the recommened fix (which was to set the time control manually as opposed to using the preset setting).
    We tried to do this with every clock but either a) this fix wasn't a fix b) we didn't do it right or c) helpful players used the automatic setting when we weren't looking. I think (a) is the most plausible explanation.
    BTW this was discussed on another thread which I cannot remember right now.
    It was in the DGT XL clocks thread in the General Chess Chat forum here http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....6&page=2&pp=15

CC International Master Rhubarb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun
    The clocks were supplied by Australian Chess Enterprises. The arbiters were made aware of this potential problem, as well as the recommened fix (which was to set the time control manually as opposed to using the preset setting).
    We tried to do this with every clock but either a) this fix wasn't a fix b) we didn't do it right or c) helpful players used the automatic setting when we weren't looking. I think (a) is the most plausible explanation.
    BTW this was discussed on another thread which I cannot remember right now.
    As I had already made abundantly clear, the arbiters were not only aware of the problem, they quickly and competently resolved the incidents as they occurred.

But imagine if both players had 10 seconds left and then both displays dropped to zero. I find it unbelievable that players in the most prestigious weekend tournament in the country were playing with faulty clocks after the manufacturer had committed to paying the expenses for a worldwide recall. To me, this says that certain suppliers cannot be trusted to do the right thing by consumers - or the players.

CC Candidate Master The_Wise_Man's Avatar

Now that you mention it....

Just for the record....

My clock also blanked out at the Doeberl Cup when both players were under 5 minutes in one of my matches.... didn't think much about it as I record the time remaining for each move and the problem was easily fixed...

Wise
    Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.
    Plato

CC International Master
    Dunno if I've meantioned it but my opponent's clock blanked to zero for no real reason in the 6th round of Doeberl. Wasn't really a problem as he was already in serious trouble OTB.

All these report about faulty digital clocks is an excuse to throw them away and get back to guillotine, ie, real chess.

As someone said the same people are still winnng whether with time increment or guillotine, so by offering the slower players a second chance is achieving nothing, as well they don't deserve it!!

They are only messing up the timetable of rounds and extending them unnecessary. Yeah people say on average it is only so many moves and so many minutes extra round. This may be only anecdotal.

I witnessed an adult comp recently where two juniors whose endgame was limited held up a comp for about 20 mins because they dilly-dallied on time increment - going forever. And because they did not know how to finish the ending was not worth watching at all.

Whereas previously under guillotine usually only the better games went the distance and the weaker players (or easy winners) could crowd around the better games ending and get a buzz from the game and from each other as well as learn. Now all this is often denied.

In another game of 20 mins plus 10 secs a move, a player whose rating was about 300 below his opponent and losing it was 23 NOTE 23 minutes behind his opponent and still playing on. If no increment the he would have lost ages ago on time and his opponent could have done something else more productive -- like watch a high class game.

So here is another cause for you Gareth to take up with your eloquence, logic and clarity of expression.

Make at least half of tournaments guillotine finish.
    I'll drink to that.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    All these report about faulty digital clocks is an excuse to throw them away and get back to guillotine, ie, real chess.

So here is another cause for you Gareth to take up with your eloquence, logic and clarity of expression.

Make at least half of tournaments guillotine finish.
    I'll drink to that.
    I'm flattered AC but this is an issue I'm not particularly interested in arguing over. I suggest you make a poll

Quote Originally Posted by garethbcharles
    I'm flattered AC but this is an issue I'm not particularly interested in arguing over. I suggest you make a poll
    Gosh GC, I never thought to make a poll. Busy today as have just finished booking 14 flights at $28 bucks a go. First one this arvo. But it's coming.. not like JC

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    Gosh GC, I never thought to make a poll. Busy today as have just finished booking 14 flights at $28 bucks a go. First one this arvo. But it's coming.. not like JC
    where are you off too, sorry for the thread diversion

CC FIDE Master

Doeberl Cup 2005

Doeberl Cup 2005

I note with concern the problems a number of players had with the time display disappearing during the game in the Doeberl Cup 2005.

This problem is listed by DGT Projects on their website http://www.dgtprojects.com/clock_dgtxl.htm and applies only to the DGT-XL version 1.4 – the first version of the DGT-XL shipped in July and August 2003.

DGT advised all retailers on October 14th 2003 of the problems of the DGT-XL version 1.4 serial numbers 27671 to 28500 and DGT Projects arranged the expense for return of these clocks to be replaced by their updated model the DGT-XL version 1.10.

Chess Discount Sales, Sydney recalled its sold DGT-XL version 1.4 clocks and returned the entire shipment by AIR to the Netherlands and later received the DGT-XL version 1.10. Slight updates appeared with DGT-XL version 1.12 and in June 2005 I received the latest version 1.14.

Werner Stubenvoll, Chairman of FIDE Technical commission confirmed in 2004 that the DGT-XL completely meets the FIDE standards of Electronic clocks.

Every DGT-XL has a serial number attached to the clock and the version number is printed on the back of the clock.

I would strongly recommend that all arbiters and players check the clocks and any DGT-XL version 1.4 serial number 27671 to 28500 be referred to the chief arbiter or supplier.

I have not heard of problems with the DGT-XL version 1.10, 1.12 and 1.14 which have been selling well world wide over the last 18 months and used by FIDE.

Peter Parr (OAM)
    FIDE International Arbiter (27 years)
    FIDE Arbiter’s Commission (1990-1994)
    FIDE Rules Commission (1982-1986)
    Former Chief Arbiter Doeberl Cup (20 years)

Charles,

I see where the Doeberl Cup website once again incorrectly shows Ian Rogers as the sole winner in 2005.

In 2005 there was no tiebreak and Ian Rogers and Alex Wohl were the joint winners of the Doeberl Cup.

This was clearly stated in ACF Bulletin #312 here.

Can you please arrange for this to be corrected on your website.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Charles,

I see where the Doeberl Cup website once again incorrectly shows Ian Rogers as the sole winner in 2005.

In 2005 there was no tiebreak and Ian Rogers and Alex Wohl were the joint winners of the Doeberl Cup.

This was clearly stated in ACF Bulletin #312 here.

Can you please arrange for this to be corrected on your website.
    That is indeed correct. The Convenor of the Organising Committee, Roger McCart, consulted me as ACTCA President about whether we should declare a tie. We agreed that we should and consulted the two players jointly neither of whom expressed an objection. One of the arbiters, Shaun Press, complained to Roger and me that the arbiters should have been consulted but it was considered that the decision was not a matter for the arbiters, something that I think is beyond dispute. I note that the matter was not mentioned by Shaun in his report to the ACF Newsletter. I believe that the engraved permanent Trophy shows the tied result.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop
    That is indeed correct. The Convenor of the Organising Committee, Roger McCart, consulted me as ACTCA President about whether we should declare a tie. We agreed that we should and consulted the two players jointly neither of whom expressed an objection. One of the arbiters, Shaun Press, complained to Roger and me that the arbiters should have been consulted but it was considered that the decision was not a matter for the arbiters, something that I think is beyond dispute. I note that the matter was not mentioned by Shaun in his report to the ACF Newsletter. I believe that the engraved permanent Trophy shows the tied result.

DJ

Hi all,

This is an issue well before the period in which we took over organising the Doeberl Cup. The engraved trophy only lists Ian Rogers as the winner of 2005. I suggest you take this issue up with the ACTCA as I dont have any more information than this. Happy to have the website reflect the outcome.
    Last edited by Charles; 19-03-2010 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles
    The engraved trophy only lists Ian Rogers as the winner of 2005.
    Are you sure of this by having actually checked the trophy yourself or is your comment just based on hearsay.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Are you sure of this by having actually checked the trophy yourself or is your comment just based on hearsay.
    Bill,

Sorry but I dont have time for whatever is driving this. The arrival of our international players and getting ready a week out combined with interstate travel for work are taking up most of my waking hours. I dropped it at the Kambah trophy shop this afternoon for engraving along with the Bedi Cup and the Pooja Cup. I checked it then visually. I dont have documentary or photographic evidence but the cup will be at the Hellenic Club from the 1st to the 5th of April to check. If you wish to continue this please do it with the ACTCA or I can help after the 6th of April when I return from driving the international players to the SIO. As I said well before my time.

Sorry but I dont have time for whatever is driving this.
    The only thing driving this is historical accuracy.
    It would appear what is on the cup is merely the opinion of the arbiter. However it was not his decision to make.
    Therefore if the cup only has Ian Rogers name on it and not Alex Wohl's then it is inaccurate as the decision by the 2005 organisers of the Doeberl Cup whose decision it was to make was that the title was shared.
    If you wish to continue this please do it with the ACTCA or I can help after the 6th of April when I return from driving the international players to the SIO. As I said well before my time.
    It may be before your time, but as you are the apparent current custodian of the Cup then raising it with you to get the cup corrected would seem to be appropriate. I'll remind you of this post 6th April.
    As for getting your website updated to accurately reflect the 2005 winners that would seem to fall totally under your control.

Thread Information