Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Olympiad

Norwegian government rules out Olympiad rescue. See new article by Svensen at https://www.chess24.com/en/read/news...lympiad-rescue

A choice line from the latest story: "Moreover, the Minister of Culture - despite not having support from the Norwegian people - is working hard to secure a bid for the 2022 Winter Olympics. The cost is estimated to be at least 22 billion NOK. The preparation of the bid alone will cost the Kingdom of Norway 312 million NOK."

Something more positive: "On Friday the City Council of Tromsø decided to officially apply to the Norwegian government for the remaining 15 million. Whether the government’s response will be different when the request comes from a city rather than an organisation remains unclear, but it does emphasise the seriousness of the situation. "

From the same article:

1. "P.S. Aulin-Jansson will attend a meeting of the Norwegian Ministry of Finance on Tuesday to discuss the situation. On the same day FIDE Executive Director Nigel Freeman and Vice President Israel Gelfer will arrive in Tromsø to carry out inspections. Can they help rescue the situation? Or do they have other plans?"

2. "Note: Shortly after this article was published chess24 contacted FIDE for a response. We'll update the article as soon as we get one.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 21-05-2014 at 10:56 AM.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Re point 2 above: No response yet from FIDE nor any update of substance to the article. Tuesday in Norway was meant to be a key day but no news yet.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

A Traveller's Ultimatum!

That's it! I had enough of FIDE, the Norwegians, Mr Putin, the Russians, the Ukrainians and whoever else is involved in this mess! If no decision re Chess Olympiad Rescue Operation is made until the end of May, I am cancelling my flight to Tromsø from Athens (via Frankfurt @ Oslo) and heading to Barcelona for a nice Spanish round trip! My original plan was to do the Norway gig, spend a few hours in Tromsø for the chess thingy and then head to Denmark, followed by Finland, Ukraine, and Russia for a couple of weeks before I took the ferry from Romania to Istanbul, the Greek Islands and the Balkans. Now, that visiting Ukraine is not on, it's going to be Athens, Barcelona, Spanish round trip, Italy, and then another Balkan tour like last year but this time including Albania too! Final warning end of May!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

I am hoping that you have canceled your Tromso trip too early, Elliott. Watching out for more news on chess24.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    I am hoping that you have canceled your Tromso trip too early, Elliott. Watching out for more news on chess24.
    Haven't cancelled anything yet, Jonathan!

Quote Originally Posted by E.R.
    If no decision re Chess Olympiad Rescue Operation is made until the end of May, I am cancelling my flight
    I 've given them one week's notice though!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    FIDE website:

FIDE Treasurer and Executive Director, Nigel Freeman and FIDE Vice President, Israel Gelfer have spent the last two days meeting with the Tromso Organising Committee, where they discussed all outstanding matters.

The financial situation was discussed and they were advised that they would receive a final answer in the next two - three weeks, which is expected to be of a positive nature.

Cancelling the Olympiad would severely damage the reputation of both the city and the country, particularly bearing in mind that they may be a candidate for holding the Winter Olympics in 2022.

It was agreed that Mr. Freeman would have another meeting with the Organisers in Tromso in a few weeks to finalise all outstanding matters.

Thanks for that, Kev.

CC Grandmaster
    The amazing thing is, in sports like soccer, the organizers need to prepare a solid infrustructure (stadiums) to run the event and they should be build on time. With chess, money is literally the only thing missing and it is not that much money for any government...but yet they are not bailing the organizers out.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    The amazing thing is, in sports like soccer, the organizers need to prepare a solid infrustructure (stadiums) to run the event and they should be build on time. With chess, money is literally the only thing missing and it is not that much money for any government...but yet they are not bailing the organizers out.
    Direct cash injection is usually the greatest sticking point. Items like stadiums are easy to show for long term value for the community. But if money is spent on one item ie just given to one project with no clear long term return (nothing clearly built), then it makes it a much tougher sell. Also, how can the Government be assured that this money will be well spent when previous efforts have clearly been not that great?

According to CV President IM Leonid Sandler, the Tromsø Olympiad will go ahead despite all the hocus-pocus dialectics! The Prez is one of the chess personalities whose knowledge and opinion I respect! So I won't cancel my trip to the Tromsø gig! (as yet that is)!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC International Master Carl Gorka's Avatar
    Well, all match arbiters are supposed to be at the meeting on August 1st according to theFIDE website so I guess we can assume it's going ahead?!
    I've never been so broke that I couldn't leave town

I'm trying out a new blog site...
    http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/

Victorian Team Championships

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Good news:

http://en.chessbase.com/post/breakin...chess-olympiad

The Norwegian government has coughed up 12 million NOK (they were asked for 15 million) and the organisers have confirmed the event is going ahead.

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvinator View Post
    Direct cash injection is usually the greatest sticking point. Items like stadiums are easy to show for long term value for the community. But if money is spent on one item ie just given to one project with no clear long term return (nothing clearly built), then it makes it a much tougher sell. Also, how can the Government be assured that this money will be well spent when previous efforts have clearly been not that great?
    Even stadiums are very questionable in value, as John Stossel documents in Freeloader Stadium:

Why do sports tycoons get taxpayer handouts?

Because politicians like big projects, like getting invited to sit in luxury boxes, like starring in ticker-tape parades, and they convince themselves and taxpayers that a big stadium is in the “public interest” -- that it will bring many new jobs and practically pay for itself.

This is nonsense. Studies like this one show that stadiums cost cities far more than they return. Sure, the stadium creates new jobs for the ushers, vendors, and local shops. But that’s what is seen. The unseen are the jobs not created by the money that people would’ve spent if it hadn’t been taxed away. That money could have been used by entrepreneurs to start new businesses, expand existing ones, build new homes, etc. But because it’s hard to show the people who didn’t get jobs because money was diverted, the sports execs and their politician friends continue to fleece the public.

So your point is even stronger.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

That is indeed great news, Kevin.

CC FIDE Master
    Not that this concerns NZ or Australia as both nations get visa-waiver travel to Norway, but nations where Norwegian consulates/embassies are not readily available, may have difficulty travelling:

http://en.chessbase.com/post/visa-pr...chess-olympiad

Unfortunately, it looks like Norwegian/European law changed after Norway was awarded the Olympiad, so they probably didn't realise until it became a problem.
    IA Craig Hall

www.chess.org.nz - Canterbury Chess Club
    http://respectrum.nz - Major sponsor

Thread Information