Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CC Candidate Master

Chess makes you live longer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivC01AFJEWE

Skip ahead to 5:15 to see why Chess makes you live longer.
    Now we need a study to see if your rating makes any difference...

The whole piece was interesting, thanks. I already knew about the connection between playing chess and staving off alzheimer's disease.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC FIDE Master
    On the final day at the chessolympics a male player from Seychelles felt indisposed during the game. The salvage corps at the playing area reacted very fast and he was immediately brought to the hospital.

I'm sorry to tell to you that he died at the hospital. A sad shadow over the final olympic day.

A link if any of you understand norwegian.

http://www.nrk.no/sport/sjakkspiller...nde-1.11879938

CC Grandmaster
    Chess makes you live longer, but playing in such horrible conditions (everyone appears to be complaining about the playing conditions) does not.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Chess makes you live longer, but playing in such horrible conditions (everyone appears to be complaining about the playing conditions) does not.
    Not everyone; eg see Ian's comments on the Olympiad thread.

I only noticed bad conditions in terms of temperature on one of my three visits. I did however notice that one end of the hall (where the weaker teams were playing) was close to a large open entrance and thus would have been prone to wind on colder days, and also to noise. Why this could not have had a temporary door installed I do not know. Also as Ian points out the amount of space available for players was good.

I'm cautious about the speculation going about that the conditions caused the two deaths. As far as I know there's nothing on the public record about the cause of death for the second player. Also when you have 1700 players together for 14 days the chance that somebody is going to die just randomly is substantial.

No, it just seems like longer.
    meep meep

CC FIDE Master
    I don't think the playing conditions were horrible at all, but they were very different around the big area.

Where the top male teams - and Norway 1 - played, it could be very hot, while the very lower female teams on the few days with bad weather could be "frozen out".

BIGGEST problem was the entry price 300 NKR (I think around 50 $). I paid three days and the other days I followed it on Norwegian television.

One reason I gave up the grog at 29 years was to keep my brain decent for chess, well grog deteriorates the whole body which I have avoided, so chess can definitely keep us more healthy in an indirect manner. It gives us a purpose and excitement in life when our litter has up and flown.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

John Cleese's parrot

In GM Rogers Sun Herald column today he defends that chess is not any more unhealthy than other sports - just because the players were dropping off the perch at Tromso Olympiad. He defends players against newspaper charges of obesity and alcohol abuse, and backs up with the claim that this is maybe the first time in decades that a player has died at the board. Well I challenge GM Rogers (whom I greatly admire btw) to take comparative photos of chess players with players of other sports to try and spot the difference. Also to check the stress levels of chess players on the board. I know of mental breakdowns and seen mental explosions at the board. But I realise that GM Rogers has stated the necessity of physical fitness to stay at an optimum for chess, and I believe he practises this.

But their may have been health grounds attributed to chess for his own retirement and, lo & behold, in today's game that he includes he has labelled "The Fried Liver Attack" - definitely art imitating life.

The other side of the coin is that when dieting I find chess the best diet suppressor - I won't think of food all day for twelve hours.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    Well I challenge GM Rogers (whom I greatly admire btw) to take comparative photos of chess players with players of other sports to try and spot the difference.
    And I challenge you to take comparative brain scans involving boxers, rugby players etc, or comparative x-rays involving the knees of footballers. Many sports that build short-term physical fitness do so at the risk of long-term physical and even mental injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    And I challenge you to take comparative brain scans involving boxers, rugby players etc, or comparative x-rays involving the knees of footballers. Many sports that build short-term physical fitness do so at the risk of long-term physical and even mental injury.
    But if one compared with table tennis or swimming, not at highly competitive levels as these too are abusive. Whereas chess at the elite level definitely requires too much brain that by definition dictates too little body movement. That is why I liked the garden chess set at the beach - one must get off their bum every move, and as a bonus jumps into the ocean between games.

But if one compared with table tennis or swimming, not at highly competitive levels as these too are abusive. Whereas chess at the elite level definitely requires too much brain that by definition dictates too little body movement. That is why I liked the garden chess set at the beach - one must get off their bum every move, and as a bonus jumps into the ocean between games.
    Ah yes, swimming, I remember it well, certainly no health hazards there.

By the age of eight I'd suffered severe eye reactions to chlorinated pools, been permanently scarred (and lucky to escape meaningful injury) by a swimming pool collapse, and been briefly knocked out by a stray jellyfish tentacle within minutes when required by a PCYC supervisor (against my objections) to go swimming in the ocean.

This is to say nothing of the large number of drownings resulting from recreational swimming. Of course, very safe when practiced in an appropriate fashion competitively, but this also goes for chess if a player takes care to exercise away from the board and to avoid spending too much time seated without moving.

As for table tennis, numerous injuries associated with that, as a simple Google search for "table tennis injuries" reveals immediately. eg http://tabletennis.about.com/od/safe.../tt_safety.htm
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 24-08-2014 at 11:20 AM.

CC Grandmaster
    Some chess players are fit and healthy, but is it a healthy ''sport'' ....err...would not call it a sport to a greater extent than poker is a sport. But then again, for some people poker is a sport.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

In GM Rogers Sun Herald column today he defends that chess is not any more unhealthy than other sports - just because the players were dropping off the perch at Tromso Olympiad. He defends players against newspaper charges of obesity and alcohol abuse, and backs up with the claim that this is maybe the first time in decades that a player has died at the board.
    Actually Ian does not make that claim at all about a player dying at the board, instead restricting his comment to dying during games at Olympiads.
    What Ian actually wrote was:
    "One could argue that the fact that no player has died during an Olympiad game for decades, until last week, would indicate that Olympiad chessplayers are far more healthy than other sports.'
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos View Post
    Actually Ian does not make that claim at all about a player dying at the board, instead restricting his comment to dying during games at Olympiads.
    What Ian actually wrote was:
    "One could argue that the fact that no player has died during an Olympiad game for decades, until last week, would indicate that Olympiad chessplayers are far more healthy than other sports.'

John Cleese's Parrots Dropping Off Perch

From the first para of Ian's article: While China's history-making victory at the Tromso Chess Olympiad should have been making headlines, stead international media have concentrated on th tragic death of two players on the final day of the Olympiad. Certainly the collapse of 68-year old (Ian's English punctuation is superior to the later Peter Parr's) Seychelles player Kurt Meier during the final round of the Olympiad was shocking. After four hours play Meier had just blundered when his face bright red and he slowly fell off his chair immediately a player ran for medical assistance which arrived within minutes. ................

3rd para:
    Forty minutes later, after multiple attempts to revive him, Meier was taken to hospital did not survive

Well I apologise profusely if Mr Meier died lying down on the floor of the tournament room rather that sitting at the board because he had fallen from the chair. And it appears that the stress and distress of making a blunder was the cause - just as I was commenting in the first post re stress of chess.

Now where is your apology?
    Last edited by antichrist; 24-08-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Thread Information