Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar

oh no!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones View Post
    Oh MG my absolute nightmare of finishing last in a tournament is taking shape!!!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Renzies View Post
    Oh MG my absolute nightmare of finishing last in a tournament is taking shape!!!
    Oh My Goodness: (a) you could be right Elliott, and (b) at the moment I'd be top seed!! Hopefully the field will fill out some more.
    Last edited by Tony Dowden; 06-06-2014 at 10:32 PM.
    Fischer visiting Tal in hospital - Curaçao 1962

"You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one." - Mikhail Tal
    "Best by test" (on 1.e4) - Bobby Fischer

CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Dowden View Post
    Oh My Goodness: (a) Hopefully the field will fill out some more.
    I am pretty sure that it will!

nop!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Dowden View Post
    Oh My Goodness: (a) you could be right Elliott, and (b) at the moment I'd be top seed!! Hopefully the field will fill out some more.
    yep but you don't qualify cauz you 're still a young one!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

You become a Senior at the start of the year you reach 50 (and a Veteran in the year you reach 65). Tony is certainly eligible to play.

Quote Originally Posted by heligan View Post
    You become a Senior at the start of the year you reach 50 (and a Veteran in the year you reach 65). Tony is certainly eligible to play.
    oh no!!! No, No, NO!!! in this case (and I am slightly paraphrasing the Roman proverb here) Tony must not only be eligible but must also be seen to be eligible!!! He doesn't look like he has reached 50!!!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Renzies View Post
    Tony must not only be eligible but must also be seen to be eligible!!! He doesn't look like he has reached 50!!!
    (Nothing else to say)

"You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one." - Mikhail Tal

Good luck, Tony and Elliott! I won't be playing - I have taken all my leave to go to Al Ain next week for the Asian Clubs Champions League.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    Good luck, Tony and Elliott! I won't be playing - I have taken all my leave to go to Al Ain next week for the Asian Clubs Champions League.
    Thanks Adamski! I am sure you are enjoying yourself in Al Ain!

BTW look at this list growing and we still have almost two weeks before the opening round!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    Good luck, Tony and Elliott! I won't be playing - I have taken all my leave to go to Al Ain next week ...
    I'm not playing either. Hope you enjoy Al Ain

CC Grandmaster
    Someone should lure Jammo into playing
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC FIDE Master
    A document containing the following text will be on display at the tournament:

Changes to the Laws of Chess:

Please note that a new version of the Laws of Chess applies for tournaments commencing on or after 1st July 2014. The full version of the new Laws is at http://www.fide.com/component/handbo...1&view=article Players should take some time to familiarise themselves with the new Laws.
    The most important changes are:

1. Players explicitly have the right to ask the Arbiter for an explanation of any points in the Laws of Chess. Please exercise this right.

2. Unless the rules of the competition state otherwise, a player who is found to have brought a mobile phone into the playing venue shall lose the game. For this event, if you bring your phone, you must leave it in the box provided by the Chief Arbiter. If you fail to do so, you risk losing the game even if your phone makes no sound.

3. The Arbiter will declare the game drawn if a position is repeated five times in a row or if 75 moves are played without a pawn move or a capture. Players can still claim a draw for threefold repetition or the 50-move rule, the new rule simply allows the Arbiter to step in when the players fail to claim the draw.
    The process for claiming a draw is unchanged. If the conditions for a draw have already been met, stop the clocks and call the Arbiter. If your move will result in the conditions for a draw being met, do not make the move. Instead, write it on your scoresheet, stop the clocks and call the Arbiter.

4. If you push your pawn to the last rank and fail to exchange it for a piece before pressing your clock, the pawn is replaced with a queen and your opponent gets 2 minutes for the illegal move.

5. A player shall lose if they complete (including pressing the clock) two illegal moves in a game.

6. The touch-move rule states ‘touches with the intention of moving or capturing’, instead of ‘deliberately touches’, so if someone clearly simply forgets to say j’adoube, they do not have to move the piece they adjust. You should still state your intention to adjust pieces, as you do not get the benefit of the doubt if you pick up a piece then claim you were just adjusting.

CC FIDE Master
    Please also note the tournament rules here - https://sites.google.com/site/oceani...14/information - including the time control (90 mins + 30 secs/move + 30 minutes after your 40th move) and forfeiture time (30 minutes after the start of the round).

The entry list is here - https://sites.google.com/site/oceani...ration/entries and contains an IM, 2FMs, 2CMs and a WFM.

The Chief Arbiter will be IA Charles Zworestine.

Thanks for posting summary of new FIDE rules as well as the tournament rules and list of entries David!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Thread Information