Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    CC Candidate Master

2014 Oceania Seniors Championship

2014 Oceania Seniors Chess Championship

When: 3 July to 6 July 2014.

Where: norths chess club, norths, 12 Abbott Street, Cammeray, New South Wales, Australia

Format: 7 rounds Swiss pairing. FIDE time control: 90 minutes for 40 moves, followed by 30 minutes for remaining moves, with an increment of 30 seconds per move from move 1.

Eligiblility: Players' 50th birthday before 1 January 2015. Players must be members of a FIDE Zone 3.6 federation (Australian, Fiji, Guam, New Zealand, Palau, PNG, Solomon Islands).

Entry Fee: $75 Australian.

Prize fund: Over $1,300 in seven categories.

For more information and to register go to the tournament website https://sites.google.com/site/oceaniaseniors2014
    Norths Chess Club www.northsydneychess.org
    Home of Australia's best chess.

CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar

2014 Oceania Seniors Championship

Dear members and friends of norths chess club.

We will be hosting this tournament which will be played 3 to 6 July.

Entry criteria are aged 50+ in 2014 and a member of and FIDE Zone 3.6 federation (Australia, Fiji, Guam, New Zealand, Palau, PNG, Solomon Islands).

For details and entry go to https://sites.google.com/site/oceaniaseniors2014/

Please pass this on to players you know who fit the criteria.

Regards, David Stern

Details also at www.oceaniachess.com

It's a maybe for me - depends on work commitments as to whether I can take leave then.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones View Post
    Dear members and friends of norths chess club.

We will be hosting this tournament which will be played 3 to 6 July.

Entry criteria are aged 50+ in 2014 and a member of and FIDE Zone 3.6 federation (Australia, Fiji, Guam, New Zealand, Palau, PNG, Solomon Islands).

For details and entry go to https://sites.google.com/site/oceaniaseniors2014/

Please pass this on to players you know who fit the criteria.

Regards, David Stern

Details also at www.oceaniachess.com
    Looks enticing but that's going to be FIFA World Cup quarter / finals time!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

The 50+ criterion is sensible. Last year's SA seniors turned away people in their 50s and ran with a tiny field. Any suggestions on accommodation near transport?

CC Candidate Master
    There are a range of accommodation options close to Norths Leagues Club.
    Rydges Hotel, McLaren Street, North Sydney have supported our tournaments over the years, are 1.7KM away and on the bus route. The closest accommodation to the venue is Cammeray Gardens although they tend to quote on a per-week basis. North Shore Hotel and Falcon Lodge are both around 1Km away and the McLaren Hotel, close to Rydges is a further option.
    Alternatively there is plenty of accommodation in the City and regular buses from Wynyard Station.
    If we can help with anything more specific, let our organising team know - northsydneychess@gmail.com

entered

entered, see you all there!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Will also enter if my work permits leave at that time.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    Will also enter if my work permits leave at that time.
    look forward to see you there Adamski!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by sleepless View Post
    The 50+ criterion is sensible. Last year's SA seniors turned away people in their 50s and ran with a tiny field. Any suggestions on accommodation near transport?
    How old are you - 25? If you think 50 is senior try playing at 75+

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

You have a few years experience over me Denis. I've been playing the annual master's hockey champs for a few years and they even have an over 75 category.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    As a general comment I do think this 50-as-senior thing is silly; in other walks of life one always hears that 50 is the new 40. I'm only seven and a half years off 50 and find the idea that I'll be a "senior" then ridiculous. But the OCC doesn't make these rules so shouldn't be blamed for offering this event.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    As a general comment I do think this 50-as-senior thing is silly....
    It's only Caisa's way to reward her mature warriors. If it was up to Mr Abbott we would have to reach 70 before we were allowed to play in seniors' tournaments!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC Candidate Master
    Entered online just now. Thank you for the accommodation info Peter Abbott; very helpful! As regards the notion of "50 as senior", the change has come almost too late for me. I am rapidly closing in on the old (ie former) older criterion and now I may have to contend with a lot of youngsters playing in senior tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepless View Post
    You have a few years experience over me Denis. I've been playing the annual master's hockey champs for a few years and they even have an over 75 category.
    Good to hear - I used to play hockey as a young person. Now I'm in veterans' cycling which begins at 35 for men (pretty odd as there are several riders competing in the UCI Pro Tour teams at 35+). I am not the oldest in the ACT Vets Cycling Club either - we even have one member who is well over 80 and he is also a tri-athlete!.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Thread Information