Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    However, if you saw the same questions as I did, then you would have been well placed to answer the question: "When you play 1.d4 do you hope your opponent replies with 1... d5 or 1... f5 ?" I almost never play 1.d4 but did play it by accident once when I meant to play 1.c4.
    Even as a d4-player the question is not easy to answer and for me at least the answer would be "it depends". If I'm playing a weaker opponent I might be quite happy to destroy their dutch but if playing a stronger opponent I might prefer something closer to symmetry.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    However, if you saw the same questions as I did, then you would have been well placed to answer the question: "When you play 1.d4 do you hope your opponent replies with 1... d5 or 1... f5 ?" I almost never play 1.d4 but did play it by accident once when I meant to play 1.c4.
    LOL. I have never played 1 d4 in a serious game!
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

"Surgeon" (Lasker) — bwa ha ha ha ...
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    Technician. I don't regularly play any of the recommended openings (White: English Opening, Black: Sicilian Defense; Semi-Slav; Petrov Defense)
    Ditto.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

CC Candidate Master
    Question 4
    Which statement is closer to the truth:
    A) I bring my best game when facing opponents I dislike
    B) I don't really notice my opponent.
    At least for me, this is a very poorly worded question. Neither of these is even remotely true (I find that I play substantially worse against opponents I dislike), but I guess I have to choose B.
    Also, I am apparently an Assassin, with my suggested openings being the Ruy Lopez with white, and the Najdorf and KID with black. For the record, I do not play any of these openings.

CC International Master
    I read about this some time ago and tried it then. Apparently I am a Prodigy (like Carlsen). This gives me the advantage of surprise as my opponents would never have guessed.

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    For me it initially crashed after the first question - apparently it doesn't like IE8, but doesn't mind Firefox.

Taking the quiz with Firefox, I am apparently a "Mad Scientist": "Mad Scientists believe in justice and principles in chess, and use passion and calculating ability to prove their beliefs. The Mad Scientist is capable of carrying out brilliant attacks, but will only do so when he believes it is the right way - he won't normally play speculatively. More often that not the Mad Scientist is the one facing an attack, and he is willing to do that if he believes the attack is not objectively correct. Mad Scientists are also experimenters, trying different ways to expand the horizons in chess."

The player I am supposedly most like is Steinitz, and my preferred openings are the Vienna (which I actually sometimes play!), the King's Gambit and for Black, the Ruy Lopez (although I personally prefer the Sicilian).

"Wilhelm Steinitz (1836-1900), the first World Champion, was a Mad Scientist. Beginning as an attacking player specializing in gambits (as was the style at the time), Steinitz eventually realized that chess obeys certain rules and principles, and that a player - regardless of how brilliant - could not circumvent those rules and force through a winning combination if his game was not well-founded. Steinitz's style changed into a positional and defensive one, in which he often accepted extremely passive positions to defend his theories, but also showed that brilliant results could be produced. His contemporaries initially didn't understand his play, seeing it as bizarre or even cowardly, but later his principles were accepted, and he is regarded as the father of modern chess theory."
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

Thread Information