CC Rookie

Any info about Paul Hewson?

Posting this info on behalf of Glen Moffatt that was received via an email.

This is a bit of a shot in the dark. I'm am putting together a book on the late Dragon songwriter Paul Hewson. Every clip I see on YouTube or
    interview I do myself people are telling me what a great chess payer he was. Apparently he loved the game and read a lot of books on the
    subject. Some people have even told me games were organised with an Australian champion at the time in which Paul may have won some games.
    This would have been between 1975 and 1980.

I am hopeful that somebody might remember these games or might have even played Paul Hewson during this time. I have a picture of Paul
    playing chess, but I'm unsure of his opponent or whether this was a set-up shot.

Please let me know if this rings any bells at all or please pass on to somebody who might have been around during that time.

Kind regards.
    Glen Moffatt

CC Candidate Master
    What city did he live in?

CC Rookie
    Sydney

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    If he is a Sydney-based enthusiast, chances are he went to Chess Discount Sales at some point. I'd pose the question to Stephen Kerr who might know of him and it would also be worth asking Brian Jones.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC Candidate Master
    Didn't Dragon have a song on one of their early 80's albums called "The Dreaded Maroczy Bind." Cheers,Darryl
    Yours sincerely,Darryl Johansen.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Re original post, Hewson was clearly very interested in the game and doubtless well above average casual player standard (given that he read chess books on tour, not to mention the chess-related content of a couple of Dragon songs). But I've never seen any clear info indicating he was any particular strength level (eg based on tournament results). With celebrities who are also chess players, often there are reports that they were very strong chess players, but those don't always stand up to scrutiny, like the many exaggerated stories about Heath Ledger's chess achievements. There are lots of people who are reported to be "champions" who actually weren't so it is useful to try to find verified facts about these things.

Quote Originally Posted by samantha View Post
    Didn't Dragon have a song on one of their early 80's albums called "The Dreaded Maroczy Bind." Cheers,Darryl
    Yep though for some reason they spelled it "Moroczy". It was initially a 1977 b-side, later released on a compilation album. Lyrics don't seem to have a lot of chess content.

Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 10-12-2013 at 08:59 PM.

Many of those lyrics could be interpreted as euphemisms for chess moves and traps and strategy - with a bit of poetic license. We could always ask Dragon of course.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Thread Information