Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    CC International Master Paul Cavezza's Avatar
    Thai Ly has awarded the Brilliancy Prize for the 2014 MCC Open to Memedalija Dizdarevic, you can see the game (and the other contenders) here.

Memedalija goes into the running for the $300 annual Hjorth prize for the best game played at the club in 2014, alongside the other winners of brilliancy prizes throughout the year. He also picks up a $40 book voucher at our bookshop or online.

You can download the database for the tournament here.

Thanks as always to Kerry for compiling the games.

Cool

For reasons not yet clear to anyone... the MCC now has a twitter account! (and Nigel Short is our buddy)

https://twitter.com/MelbourneChess

The winner of the Brilliancy Prize for the Bob Brooking round robins is Jim Papadinis! Jim was playing in group D of the event, proving that you don't have to be playing on the top boards to win the brilliancy prize. You can see the game and read the judge's notes here:

http://www.melbournechessclub.org/ev...g-round-robins

Dear players, please note membership & tournament fee changes in 2015:

- Membership renewal before 26th of January: $15 discount.
    - Tournament fees for members stay the same.
    - Non member tournament entry fees increase.
    - IMs now must be members of the club to receive free entry to events.

Hope to see many new faces at MCC in 2015. If you're thinking of coming down for the first time, try Wednesday night or Saturday afternoon.

2014 Greg Hjorth Brilliancy Prize

We have a winner in the 2014 Greg Hjorth Brilliancy Prize!

In 2014, the 9 winners of Brilliancy Prizes in MCC slow play tournaments went into the running for a $300 book prize and one of Greg Hjorth's junior trophies. Games were given to 2014 judge IM Guy West without names or ratings. You can view Guy's selections and annotations HERE.

Brilliancy prizes & the Hjorth award continue in 2015 so keep your submissions coming!
    FM Michael Baron will be judging the brilliancy prize for the Club Championship.

CC Grandmaster
    This Week's Allegro will be followed by a lecture by FM Jack Puccini! Play in the allegro and you can attend the lecture for free!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC International Master Kerry Stead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    This Week's Allegro will be followed by a lecture by FM Jack Puccini! Play in the allegro and you can attend the lecture for free!
    Do you know if it is going to be recorded & put on YouTube later? I can't make it, but would be interested in the lecture.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stead View Post
    Do you know if it is going to be recorded & put on YouTube later? I can't make it, but would be interested in the lecture.
    Think so! Michael Pearson will be recording as I'm out of town.

I'll be giving a Novice lecture on Wednesday the 4th of March at 7.30pm. All welcome. Free for members, $5 visitors fee for non-members.

If there are any of the novice group that would like to send me their games that might be useful for this purpose, feel free to contact me via facebook or pm.

CC Grandmaster
    I will be giving a Novice lecture on Wednesday May 6th at 7.30 at Melbourne Chess club.
    ll welcome. Free for members, $5 visitors fee for non-members.

If there are any of the novice group that would like to send me their games that might be useful for this purpose, feel free to contact me via facebook or email webbaron@gmail.com
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    I will be giving a Novice lecture on Wednesday May 6th at 7.30 at Melbourne Chess club.
    {A}ll welcome. Free for members, $5 visitors fee for non-members.

If there are any of the novice group that would like to send me their games that might be useful for this purpose, feel free to contact me via facebook or email webbaron@gmail.com
    Good on ya, Michael!
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    Good on ya, Michael!
    And may I be the second to wish you all the very best for this lecture.
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

Thread Information