Thread: RIP Alan Thomas

CC Grandmaster

RIP Alan Thomas

Mark Stokes reports on the sad passing of Alan Thomas:

Les Lord from Toowoomba texted me on Saturday to inform me that Alan Thomas, also from Toowoomba, sadly passed away recently.

Les wrote: " I thought U would be interested to know that Alan Thomas has passed away. I received a call yesterday (Friday) from his step-daughter(?) informing me. I don't think too many at the CAQ would know Alan but I wanted to let you know. Alan was a great ambassador for chess for decades and he will be sadly missed up here in Toowoomba. He was a true champion and supporter of chess for as long as I can remember. "

I remember Alan very well indeed. He was indeed a true gentleman and a first class Director of Play at many chess tournaments I played in in my teenage years.

I also remember Alan, although not very well. I believe that he was one of Qld's first International Arbiters (in 1980), and also organised an Australian Open in Toowoomba. He was certainly a stalwart of the Toowoomba Chess Club.

Hopefully other people will be able to add more details.

I met Alan a couple of times at Toowoomba tournaments over the years.

Seemed like a very nice and knowledgeable man.

RIP Alan.

CC Candidate Master
    Alan directed the 1978 Aus Junior at Ipswich Boys Grammar School. It was one of my most memorable, Murray Smith won, I won the U/16 and they gave everyone a t-shirt with "Be sure you sight all moves that smite!"

Alan also directed the 1985-86 Aus Ch in Toowoomba which was a 3 way tie. He visited the last Aus Ch at St George club in Sydney.

Rest in peace, Alan!
    I played my best for Him Pa Rumpumpumpum

Do what you do do well

CC Candidate Master
    Alan was CAQ Secretary in 1972. He was CAQ Tournament Director in 1987, 1988 and 1989. I am sure he held many other posts over the years.

I remember him attending many CAQ meetings in Brisbane - always a positive contributor.
    He was a hard worker for Qld. chess and was liked by all who worked with him.
    Rest in peace, Alan.

Sad news, indeed. Condolences to all his family and friends.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Thread Information