Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    CC International Master Paul Cavezza's Avatar

M.C.C Announcements

Club President Grant Szuveges Honoured by Latrobe University

We're extremely proud to announce that MCC President FM Grant Szuveges has been recognised by Latrobe University for his volunteer work in Melbourne over the last 5 years.

Grant has been awarded the 2013 Pauline Toner Award ($1000) and the 2013 Harvey Naghten Award ($500) for his work with the Melbourne Chess Club and The Melbourne Zoo, whilst maintaining exemplary academic results and taking care of a young family.

Since taking over in 2009, Grant's unwavering commitment has transformed the Melbourne Chess Club and united an energetic committee behind him. His vision, energy and endurance have revitalised the club and on behalf of the chess community at large we would like to offer him our thanks and congratulations.

Grant had the following to say:

"I feel very proud to have won these awards for my work as MCC President and my volunteer work at Melbourne Zoo. The money is great but it also just feels really nice to have my contribution recognised. It just goes to show, that universities are prepared to give out these awards for people who do voluntary work. So if you do give some of your time to help your chess club (or any other organisation) and you study at a university, then apply or get someone to nominate you for these types of awards - someone has to win them and it would be great if more chess players did!"

You can mail your personal congratulations to Grant at grantszuveges@gmail.com

Sincerely,

Paul Cavezza on behalf of the Melbourne Chess Club Committee.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Congrats to Grant on the awards. Well deserved.

CC International Master
    Im very pleased to announce that MCC will finally be getting high quality built in air conditioning! The air con is expected to be installed before the Cup Weekender tournament which is less than 2 weeks away now! So lets hope Cup Weekend is an absolute 40 degree stinker all weekend so that we can all enjoy the air conditioning together! The whole air con system is costing the club over $6000, and through the efforts of life members Tom Kalisch and Gary Bekker, nearly $2000 of this has been raised to help fund it. Ive put in $100 myself, and I highly encourage others to contribute some money if you can afford it - no amount is too little - it all helps. If we can get the air con funded mostly from donations, then the club will have more money available to fund other important projects! So dig deep people, and enjoy that icy cold breeze at MCC - the coolest club in the Southern Hemisphere!
    People with nothing to hide post using their real names...

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Congrats to Grant on the awards. Well deserved.
    cheers - thanks Kevin!

Very good on all fronts - congratulations.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Szuveges View Post
    Im very pleased to announce that MCC will finally be getting high quality built in air conditioning! The air con is expected to be installed before the Cup Weekender tournament which is less than 2 weeks away now! So lets hope Cup Weekend is an absolute 40 degree stinker all weekend so that we can all enjoy the air conditioning together! The whole air con system is costing the club over $6000, and through the efforts of life members Tom Kalisch and Gary Bekker, nearly $2000 of this has been raised to help fund it. Ive put in $100 myself, and I highly encourage others to contribute some money if you can afford it - no amount is too little - it all helps. If we can get the air con funded mostly from donations, then the club will have more money available to fund other important projects! So dig deep people, and enjoy that icy cold breeze at MCC - the coolest club in the Southern Hemisphere!
    Myself and JAK will send a donation. I am sure he will follow my footsteps. It is good that there are chess clubs away from poker machines and grog.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Are the MCC's bank account details handy somewhere online to make donations easy? I couldn't find them when I looked.

Quote Originally Posted by Watto View Post
    Are the MCC's bank account details handy somewhere online to make donations easy? I couldn't find them when I looked.
    Found this on the MCC Cup weekender thread. I presume they'll be fine too for donations...
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant Szuveges
    PAYMENTS: By cash, cheque or direct debit: Bendigo Bank, Carlton Branch BSB: 633 000 Acc. No. 132887126 Account Name: Melbourne Chess Club Inc. If paying by direct debit, please email Grant Szuveges stating your name, the amount paid and the date you paid.

CC Candidate Master
    MCC - the coolest club in the Southern Hemisphere!
    This is without doubt the Otago Chess Club - no airconditioning necessary

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Qbert View Post
    This is without doubt the Otago Chess Club - no airconditioning necessary
    Shhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! Dont tell anyone that!!! We dont want the truth getting in the way of a good story!!!

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Watto View Post
    Found this on the MCC Cup weekender thread. I presume they'll be fine too for donations...
    Yes - these are the correct bank details - thanks Jean!

Bendigo Bank, Carlton Branch BSB: 633 000 Acc. No. 132887126 Account Name: Melbourne Chess Club Inc. If paying by direct debit, please email Grant Szuveges stating your name, the amount paid and the date you paid.

Pleased to announce we're offering a $10 discount to existing members who renew their membership for 2014 before January 15th.

http://www.melbournechessclub.org/members/apply

I'll be at allegro this week in case anyone wants to do so there.

Please pass the word around.

Why you should be a member of your chess club.

Many people look at membership prices, do a simple calculation about whether it's worth it financially for them, and make their decision to either sign up or not. Keeping in mind that membership fees are the life-blood of any chess club, I'd like to look at that thought process a little bit:

Chess clubs offer event discounts to their members, usually 5 or 10 dollars for each event. If you don't pay a membership, and fork out that extra 5-10, guess where it goes: 80% of it goes into one of a few prize winners coffee money budget, next overseas trip, home renovation or next pair of Nike's. Guess where it goes if you save yourself the money and buy a membership: it goes back into chess. It goes towards furthering our game and improving the health of our clubs, it goes towards the future of chess in Victoria and it goes towards expanding our game to novices, juniors, social players and growing our clubs.

The MCC is often looked at with the thought “you own your own building, you don't need any extra help”, this is nonsense, and anyone who has ever volunteered with a club understands why. Without membership, every club in Victoria would shut its doors within a couple of years: it's not easy to support a building, buy and repair chess clocks, tables and pieces, pay bills, fund improvements and so on. Support your club, and start to think of chess as a community you contribute towards, rather than use.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cavezza View Post
    Pleased to announce we're offering a $10 discount to existing members who renew their membership for 2014 before January 15th.

http://www.melbournechessclub.org/members/apply

Please pass the word around.

Hi Paul,
    Your last post was well articulated ! I especially liked your comment that a chess club is something you contribute to and not simply use.
    Chess is the greatest game ever !

The upcoming Australia Day Weekender is the first event in the 2014 Grand Prix. The Grand Prix has changed this year to make more players (who play less events at the MCC) able to compete for prizes. Last year, your results from all 9 MCC tournaments were added together to make your Grand Prix score; this eventually made it a competition between players who played 7-9 events at the MCC. This year, we will only be using your best 7 scores to calculate your Grand Prix score, and based on results last year this will mean a lot more players will be competing for the prizes.

It should be a better compromise between performance and participation.

$5 will be set aside from every tournament entry throughout the year and this money will go into a "honey-pot" which will be updated after every event. A rough estimate of 400 tournament entries over the year would make a Grand Prix honey pot of $2000 for the year, which will be split into 1st, 2nd and 3rd in an Open, U/1800 and U/1500 group.

Please note you must be a member of the MCC to win a prize.

Thread Information