View Poll Results: How long will Tony Abbott be Prime Minister?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • He will resign or be replaced before the next election

    3 14.29%
  • He will lead the party to the next election but lose it

    4 19.05%
  • He will win the next election but not be PM at the one after it

    5 23.81%
  • He will win the next election but lose the one after it

    1 4.76%
  • He will win the next two elections

    7 33.33%
  • He will win the next 3, 4 or 5 elections

    1 4.76%
  • He will be there longer than Menzies

    0 0%
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 328
  1. #1
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,488

    Ex-Prime Minister Tony Abbott

    New poll, mirroring those we had for Gillard and Labor. I'll get a full set of these up through the evening.

  2. #2
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,368
    The election of Australia's new PM Tony Abbott is clear evidence that genuine conservative policies can win elections
    By MELANIE PHILLIPS, 8 September 2013

    Melanie Phillips is right as usual. Before Abbott, Talkbull was a me-too Labor-lite fake-conservative like Cameron. Rudd looked invincible; we couldn't fight his globull warm-mongering alarmism. But as soon as Abbott was elected and was a real choice rather than an echo, Rudd's aura vanished, and it wasn't long before his own part rolled him:

    Something truly astounding has happened. The best political candidate for a country's future has won a general election.
    In fact, even more astonishing is the fact that this achievement was something David Cameron and his inner circle had given us to believe was as impossible as . . . well, being reincarnated as an olive.

    So what is this miracle? That a true conservative has won a general election on true conservative principles.

    This has just occurred in Australia, where the leader of the Liberal (conservative) Party, Tony Abbott, has been elected Prime Minister by a landslide.
    As head of the Liberal/National coalition, he unseated a Labor government which had been in power since 2007. But here's the rub: Mr Abbott stands for all the things which, in this country, the Cameroons repeatedly claimed would make the Conservative Party unelectable.

    An Oxford-educated devotee of the late Lady Thatcher, Mr Abbott wants to cut taxes and is against gay marriage, thinks man-made global warming theory is bunkum, wants to reduce immigration, and intends to end increases in overseas aid.

    He also displays a robust understanding of the current threats to the West, and just who are its true allies and true enemies.
    ...
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

  3. #3
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie Phillips via Jono
    Something truly astounding has happened. The best political candidate for a country's future has won a general election.
    In fact, even more astonishing is the fact that this achievement was something David Cameron and his inner circle had given us to believe was as impossible as . . . well, being reincarnated as an olive.
    So what is this miracle? That a true conservative has won a general election on true conservative principles.
    This has just occurred in Australia, where the leader of the Liberal (conservative) Party, Tony Abbott, has been elected Prime Minister by a landslide.
    An Oxford-educated devotee of the late Lady Thatcher, Mr Abbott wants to cut taxes and is against gay marriage, thinks man-made global warming theory is bunkum, wants to reduce immigration, and intends to end increases in overseas aid.
    ...
    Ms Phillips needs to do some research: Tony Abbott accepts that man-made global warming is happening, while David Cameron definitely wants to cut taxes - and I didn't realise that Abbott's parental leave scheme was based on 'true conservative principles'.

  4. #4
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    The election of Australia's new PM Tony Abbott is clear evidence that genuine conservative policies can win elections
    By MELANIE PHILLIPS, 8 September 2013

    Melanie Phillips is right as usual. Before Abbott, Talkbull was a me-too Labor-lite fake-conservative like Cameron. Rudd looked invincible; we couldn't fight his globull warm-mongering alarmism. But as soon as Abbott was elected and was a real choice rather than an echo, Rudd's aura vanished, and it wasn't long before his own part rolled him:

    Something truly astounding has happened. The best political candidate for a country's future has won a general election.
    In fact, even more astonishing is the fact that this achievement was something David Cameron and his inner circle had given us to believe was as impossible as . . . well, being reincarnated as an olive.

    So what is this miracle? That a true conservative has won a general election on true conservative principles.

    This has just occurred in Australia, where the leader of the Liberal (conservative) Party, Tony Abbott, has been elected Prime Minister by a landslide.
    As head of the Liberal/National coalition, he unseated a Labor government which had been in power since 2007. But here's the rub: Mr Abbott stands for all the things which, in this country, the Cameroons repeatedly claimed would make the Conservative Party unelectable.

    An Oxford-educated devotee of the late Lady Thatcher, Mr Abbott wants to cut taxes and is against gay marriage, thinks man-made global warming theory is bunkum, wants to reduce immigration, and intends to end increases in overseas aid.

    He also displays a robust understanding of the current threats to the West, and just who are its true allies and true enemies.
    ...
    If I remember correctly Maggie Thatcher, the milk snatcher, gave a very strong speech warning of global warning. I have even posted somewhere on this board I think.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

  5. #5
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,368
    Yes, that parental leave scheme is a serious aberration. I don't mind if Abbott accepts that some warming is happening, as long as he gets rid of JuLiar's gesture politics of a carbon tax that would make no detectable difference to warming. In the UK, some income tax is 50%; does Cameron have the cojones to oppose the greedy left and cut this?
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

  6. #6
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Yes, that parental leave scheme is a serious aberration. I don't mind if Abbott accepts that some warming is happening, as long as he gets rid of JuLiar's gesture politics of a carbon tax that would make no detectable difference to warming. In the UK, some income tax is 50%; does Cameron have the cojones to oppose the greedy left and cut this?
    Cameron has already cut the top tax rate.

    Abbott was committed to the same 5% cut in CO2 as the ALP, but it now appears that he lied about that commitment.

  7. #7
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,531
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    Abbott was committed to the same 5% cut in CO2 as the ALP, but it now appears that he lied about that commitment.
    I doubt your continuous attempts to pin a liar tag on Abbott resonates with anyone but "true believers"
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

  8. #8
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    Abbott was committed to the same 5% cut in CO2 as the ALP, but it now appears that he lied about that commitment.
    I agree with Igor on this. Abbott was not lying or telling the truth. He was simply bullshitting. That is saying any extraneous crap while going ahead with his blatant agenda of not doing anything about the climate. I don't think anyone ever thought that direct action would ever perceptibly reduce carbon emissions let alone a 5% reduction.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  9. #9
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    I agree with Igor on this. Abbott was not lying or telling the truth. He was simply bullshitting. That is saying any extraneous crap while going ahead with his blatant agenda of not doing anything about the climate. I don't think anyone ever thought that direct action would ever perceptibly reduce carbon emissions let alone a 5% reduction.
    what have we expected from Libs and their supporters for the half century I have been following politics - bullshit. For myself it began with the Vietnam War and on the local front constant whinging about country roads when there was nothing wrong with them. That harping continues to this day coz immature clods are too impatient to drive to conditions. A massive country with a smallish population does not deserve highways everywhere
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

  10. #10
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    I agree with Igor on this. Abbott was not lying or telling the truth. He was simply bullshitting. That is saying any extraneous crap while going ahead with his blatant agenda of not doing anything about the climate. I don't think anyone ever thought that direct action would ever perceptibly reduce carbon emissions let alone a 5% reduction.
    But if my local LNP candidate says that the LNP is committed to a 5% reduction, while Tony Abbott (on the same day!) says that they're not, then someone is not telling the truth.

    Of course, Abbott could have changed his mind, just as Gillard did about the carbon tax.

    And 'direct action' will reduce carbon emissions by 5% if enough money is spent; however, for the amount budgeted, I believe there is only expected to be a 2% reduction.

  11. #11
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    But if my local LNP candidate says that the LNP is committed to a 5% reduction, while Tony Abbott (on the same day!) says that they're not, then someone is not telling the truth.

    Of course, Abbott could have changed his mind, just as Gillard did about the carbon tax.

    And 'direct action' will reduce carbon emissions by 5% if enough money is spent; however, for the amount budgeted, I believe there is only expected to be a 2% reduction.
    I thought direct action partially relied on untested soil carbon technology and so even a 2% reduction is contingent on things working as we are told they might.

    In any regard it is no secret that most of LNP and in particular Abbott thinks climate change isn't a real problem and so direct action is really just a token effort so they can answer journalists who question them on climate change. They need to have a policy, but no one expected them to produce a policy that will do anything. It was not scrutinised too much, particularly by LNP voters, as most of them don't believe spending money on not frying the planet is as important as lowering personal income tax and stopping asylum seekers arriving by boat.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  12. #12
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    I thought direct action partially relied on untested soil carbon technology and so even a 2% reduction is contingent on things working as we are told they might.

    In any regard it is no secret that most of LNP and in particular Abbott thinks climate change isn't a real problem and so direct action is really just a token effort so they can answer journalists who question them on climate change. They need to have a policy, but no one expected them to produce a policy that will do anything. It was not scrutinised too much, particularly by LNP voters, as most of them don't believe spending money on not frying the planet is as important as lowering personal income tax and stopping asylum seekers arriving by boat.
    the Lib Nat supporters differ from republican USA supporters who use the illegals as cheap exploited labour. I tell you honesty. Every National Country party member I know up here is a complete dunce - it seems a pre-requisite - and the LIb supporters and members are very limited as well. That DR Pazutti wasn't bad 20years back
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

  13. #13
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,368
    The more we see of Abbott, the more we'll like him
    By Terry Barnes, The Drum (ABC), 12 Sep 2013


    To me, my first encounter with Abbott illustrates why he can become an effective and popular PM. In the extremely upstairs-downstairs world of MPs and staff he was unpretentious, didn't pull rank, or imply his importance. He was just a bloke who was so nice about it that I couldn't possibly refuse his request.

    Yet Abbott beyond the budgie smugglers is still an unknown entity to many. So much so that in the last weekend of the campaign, Liberal HQ felt compelled to release an advertisement featuring someone Abbott comforted in Bali when the second terrorist bombing occurred there in 2005.

    Northern Territory MLA Alison Anderson and former ALP president Warren Mundine spoke of Abbott's concern for Indigenous Australians; bushfire brigade mates spoke of the enthusiastic volunteer firefighter; and a Manly Women's Shelter worker praised his fundraising. Even Abbott's local coffee shop owner had his two bob's worth.

    What rang false, however, was the Liberal ads revealing what Abbott keeps very private. Beyond his annual Pollie Pedal charity bike ride, Abbott mostly does his good works away from public gaze. He's happiest getting dirty fighting bushfires, surf lifesaving, or volunteering in Indigenous communities. Reflecting his upbringing and Jesuit education, Abbott treats strangers as friends and gives generously of himself, without expectation of recognition or reward. He is a latter-day Good Samaritan, or Lone Ranger.

    I wonder if Abbott even now fully appreciates how radically his world changed last Saturday. He will be full-time public property, sealed off by his security detail and zealous staff. He will no longer be a familiar sight at airports as he travels in his own VIP plane. The entourage-hater inevitably will be surrounded by them. Abbott's interactions with friends and ordinary people outside the political bubble, contacts he enjoys greatly and from which he draws sustenance, will be limited and even stilted by his status.

    When Abbott was a Howard government minister, he could drop everything for a few days to join his local bushfire brigade, and did surf lifesaving duty on weekends. This will be impossible for him as PM. Even if Abbott tried to continue his volunteering, his presence would disrupt others around him—something he hates. More likely he will remain, chafing, in at his prime ministerial command post, a private made reluctant general.

    Even his daily exercise, which for Abbott is essential to his physical and mental wellbeing, will be curtailed by the realities of office. His beloved jogs and bike rides will become security operations. He obviously believes that the loss of freedom and privacy is worth it, but a big price of victory is Abbott's sacrificing his right to be ordinary.

    On the other hand, in victory Abbott will get something of himself back too. He has been campaigning continuously for nearly four years, and colleagues, friends and, above all, his political opponents have marvelled at his discipline, his stamina, his staying on message.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

  14. #14
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    The more we see of Abbott, the more we'll like him
    By Terry Barnes, The Drum (ABC), 12 Sep 2013
    Wow the ABC. You don't say. Can you see that sort of vanity fluff piece appearing about an ALP politician in the Murdoch press?
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  15. #15
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,368
    Abbott Will Win Support For Reform
    Economics & Deregulation | John Roskam
    Australian Financial Review 6th September 2013

    On Saturday night it will be obvious by how much the country's media and political class have underestimated Tony Abbott. It will also be obvious how much that class underestimated the electorate. The claim that Abbott was unelectable is just as much a statement about the electorate as it is about Abbott himself. It won't be the first time that the keepers of elite opinion in this country have been wrong about the Australian people. The Australian electorate is by and large conservative. John Howard was a self-confessed conservative. To get elected in 2007 Kevin Rudd pretended to be a conservative. Tony Abbott is a conservative. Maybe that's a pattern. Julia Gillard was not a conservative and she failed to win a majority. Howard's introduction of Work Choices was not the act of a conservative and it was a key factor in his defeat. The same applies to Gillard's carbon tax.

    It's true that Abbott is no Hayekian free-marketer. But then again few of his colleagues are either (unfortunately). Abbott's economic principles sit firmly in the middle of the spectrum of opinion across the Liberal Party. The DLP's concerns were not primarily economic ones. They were political. The DLP was established in the 1950s as part of the fight against communism in the Australian trade union movement. The DLP's economic policies were not very different from those of Menzies' Coalition. A highly regulated mixed economy with a private sector supported by a substantial government sector was the mainstream economic orthodoxy. Australian politicians and policymakers from the 1950s through to the 1970s knew of no other alternative.
    Several decades on, we now know there is an alternative. The alternative is a reform program of the size and scope of the 1980s. Abbott is very aware of this. But he's also seen the fate the Howard government suffered when it tried to reform industrial relations without adequately explaining to the electorate why reform was necessary. That's one of the reasons why, as Abbott has said, he argued against Work Choices.

    Abbott knows that if he is to be successful he will have to bring the majority of the people with him. The problem is that years of economic prosperity have made the vast majority of people complacent about the need for change. And that's the core of Tony Abbott's economic challenge - can Australia afford to delay the policy changes that need to made to ensure our future prosperity while he spends his first term preparing the public for what he's going to do in his second term.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Worst Australian Prime Ministers
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Politics
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 07-01-2019, 07:45 PM
  2. Australian Prime Ministers
    By antichrist in forum Politics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 21-10-2018, 06:27 PM
  3. Best Australian Prime Ministers
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Politics
    Replies: 187
    Last Post: 01-03-2018, 06:39 AM
  4. European migration issues (sf Tony Abbott)
    By Capablanca-Fan in forum Politics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-01-2016, 12:40 PM
  5. Tony Abbott
    By antichrist in forum Politics
    Replies: 273
    Last Post: 07-04-2013, 11:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •