Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    CC International Master Rhubarb's Avatar

RIP Max Fuller (1945-2013)

I'm very sad to report that Max Fuller has suffered a stroke sometime before this last Wednesday. Gareth Charles, who had done so much to help Max over the past few weeks, found Max unconscious on Thursday morning when he was visiting Max to help take him to Peter Parr's funeral.

Gareth was with Max in emergency and so could not attend Peter's funeral. Gareth then let myself and Steve know as soon as the funeral service was over.

On Friday it was decided that Max's stroke was so critical that, when combined with his other health problems, there was no hope of any meaningful recovery, so Max is now being treated with palliative care.

Since then Max's condition has been relatively unchanged: most of the time he is heavily sedated and unconscious but he did briefly open his eyes to both a nurse and myself yesterday, and seemed to recognise me when I spoke to him, although he has no way of responding.

If you are a good friend of Max's (and haven't already been contacted by myself or Steve) and would like to visit Max to say goodbye it would be advisable to do so as soon as possible as he could pass away at any time.

He is in Ward 7F at Royal North Shore in Sydney. Enter the main entrance (the new one) and go straight ahead right through to the back and take the green lifts to the 7th floor. Visiting hours are 11am-1pm and 3pm-8pm.

Greg Canfell
    0435 123 295
    Last edited by Rhubarb; 25-08-2013 at 03:15 PM.

Sad news, very sad.
    Thanks Greg for letting us know!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC Grandmaster
    What a terrible year this has been for Australian chess.

Quote Originally Posted by pax
    What a terrible year this has been for Australian chess.
    I am almost certain that this year has had to be the worst in Australian chess history outside of world war times. I was thinking of creating a thread about this topic, but was not sure how it would be received.

CC International Master Rhubarb's Avatar
    Just a note to say that there has been no real change in Max's condition in the past 24 hours except to say the staff have upped the dosage of hydromorphone as well as the sedative, which seems to help relax him when he is distressed and agitated.

Thank you to everyone who has called me since my first post. I have passed on your messages to Max, who occasionally registers flickers of recognition.

Again, if you are unable to visit Max, please feel free to call me.

Greg Canfell
    0435 123 295

This is very sad news. I am praying.
    Yes it has been a terible year for deaths and serious conditions for well-known chess players and administrators.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Rookie
    hey Greg, tnx for keeping us updated. and 4 the support u have been giving Max. thinking of u all in Sydney atm.

RIP Max Fuller (1945-2013)

Greg Canfell has informed me that Max passed away about 6:30pm this evening.

CC Rookie
    Thanks for letting us know Greg. Terrible news.

I actually passed Max walking up from North Sydney station a month or so ago and saw what a wretched physical state he was in; ironically enough I contacted Peter Parr to see if Max was getting care and Peter replied that he'd consistently refused, and a situation in my own family has taught me that it's very difficult and generally counterproductive to do anything "coercive" in that case. Very, very sad. I should be able to visit him tomorrow, perhaps about 4ish (I work near RNS).

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutek
    Greg Canfell has informed me that Max passed away about 6:30pm this evening.
    Sad news. I've been playing through a few of his games today. Farewell my old rival. Yes, it's been a bad year for Australian Chess.

-Jammo
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

CC Rookie
    RIP Max. One of the greats of Australian chess.

A dreadful month for the game here.

Paddington, in between Sydney city and Bondi Beach
    Shithouse news. Aside from his fine chess talent, Max was a scholar and a gentleman. Dignified, well dressed and spoken, never saw a beer consumed with greater elegance than in Max's hands.

He was a funny bastard, a terrible punter, and a friend. I'd like to tell the story of the declined insurance bet in the final round of an Australian Open involving Max, but it's probably best told by Guy West.

We'll miss you mate.

CC Candidate Master
    I feel too sad to write anything much at the moment. It's just one blow after another.

To Greg, Gareth and all the Sydneysiders close to Max, my deepest sympathy. He was as gentle and honest a person as I've ever met.

The wonderful decade long rivalry between Robert and Max (and one could perhaps add Terrey Shaw) for the crown of Australian chess was the dynamic that forms one of my strongest early memories of the tournament scene.

There are thousands of stories that illuminate the colourful life of Maxwell Leonard Fuller. I'll happily contribute to those when the immediate sadness passes.

Jean reminded me just recently though of how I told her once about how Max would often come to the board to champion the black pieces, and face the not entirely unusual move 1. e4. He would then sit with a ramrod straight back for 10 minutes, deep in thought as his time ticked away. Then very deliberately, as if he had finally worked out all the variations, he would play 1...g6.

Once I asked him why he thought for 10 minutes when both of us knew he was going to play 1...g6 at the end of it all. Wasn't it just stupid to waste all that time? Typically Max was not in the least defensive. He thought about it and then chuckled quiety and said in his halting kind of way, "Y-yes, you're p-probably right."

Rest in peace, Max. One of Australia's best ever chessplayers and a lovely man.

CC Candidate Master
    P.S. Happy for you to tell the insurance bet story, Jason.

CC International Master William AS's Avatar
    A young Max Fuller in his prime.

R.I.P Max.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A wise prince will seek means by which his subjects will always and in every possible condition of things have need of his government, and then they will always be faithful to him. Niccolo Machiavelli (14691527), Il Principe (The Prince)

A wise prince will also realise that this can be achieved more successfully by means other than rape, pillage, greed, lies, deceit or misinformation.

Thread Information