Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    38.Qxf2

are we there yet ?

Quote Originally Posted by Great Uncle Bulgaria
    38.Qxf2
    38....I can hear that invisble guy in the sky call me home

thanks for the game, will play a whole game next time soon hopefully
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    38....I can hear that invisble guy in the sky call me home

thanks for the game, will play a whole game next time soon hopefully
    why does zeus talk to you ?

is this a formal resignation a/c ?

thanks for the game if it is.

When defending IQP positions, it's usually good to keep knights and trade major pieces. A knight ending with an IQP is usually drawn. Even bad B v good N can be held with very grim defence. But lots of majors makes defence hard, because the attackers can pin the IQP against the defenders. See also the old training thread Playing against IQPs.
    “If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.” — Abba Eban on the UN general assembly

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi on the UN kakistocracy

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    When defending IQP positions, it's usually good to keep knights and trade major pieces. A knight ending with an IQP is usually drawn. Even bad B v good N can be held with very grim defence. But lots of majors makes defence hard, because the attackers can pin the IQP against the defenders. See also the old training thread Playing against IQPs.
    Thanks for top advise. As the saying goes : for every piece off the board the IP becomes stronger. With my king close by I thought safe and even better end game but have not played tough end game since last century. Maybe should have advanced king side pawns instead of too many king moves.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    As the saying goes : for every piece off the board the IP becomes stronger.
    I think you have that one backwards mate.
    meep meep

Quote Originally Posted by road runner
    I think you have that one backwards mate.
    are you rubbing salt into my wound?

it could also work vv i suppose but that is not what the saying is

CC Candidate Master
    If you have an IQP then its in your best interest to keep as many pieces on the board as you can, here I think you made things easy for white.
    One day I'll put something clever here, but for now this will just have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by James Watson
    If you have an IQP then its in your best interest to keep as many pieces on the board as you can, here I think you made things easy for white.
    we are talking about my black isolated queen pawn of course? So RR was correct? I will have to check out Jono's reference soon.

My observation from slightly studying years ago was battle for IP to hold onto, but if can then a game winner.

Was not just my king-side pawn structure was clumsy or as well?

thanks all comments

Since i dont play 1.d4 or 1.d4 d5 normally, the only time i encounter iqp's is in the caro but its always good to keep plenty of pieces on the board.

I think the position i received from james w was comfortable for white and was quite easy to understand and profit from.

Quote Originally Posted by James Watson
    Again, as mentioned above and in the thread, the reality is more nuanced than that. If you have an IQP, it indeed is usually good to keep lots of pieces, but if some are exchanged, they should be majors rather than Ns. One weakness can often be held, but if another one is forced, then it's often hard to hold both. With majors on, it's easier for the attacking side to force another weakness then play against both.
    “If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.” — Abba Eban on the UN general assembly

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi on the UN kakistocracy

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Again, as mentioned above and in the thread, the reality is more nuanced than that.
    Not really, you are just talking about what endgames are generally defensible and which aren't. The reality is that the player with the IQP's best option is to attack in the middlegame, i.e. avoid trading pieces. Kasparov didn't go for IQP positions to trade into endings he could hold, but to middlegames he could win.
    meep meep

Quote Originally Posted by road runner
    Not really, you are just talking about what endgames are generally defensible and which aren't. The reality is that the player with the IQP's best option is to attack in the middlegame, i.e. avoid trading pieces. Kasparov didn't go for IQP positions to trade into endings he could hold, but to middlegames he could win.
    But look at his comments when he was on the losing side of IQP Tarrasch QGDs against Karpov. Few would go for IQPs with the intention of holding an inferior endgame, but sometimes one needs to think about defence regardless. That was the context of the game in question. Then it's often best to avoid heavy piece endgames or middlegames.

Thread Information