Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Are atheists mentally ill?

I saw this article written by Sean Thomas on "The Telegraph" (UK) earlier this morning as I was watching the football game PSV vs AC Milan.

I don't agree with the rather provocative if not insulting heading.

I haven't read it but just looking through it en passant I noticed that it contains some statistical figures (not sure how accurate they are) which may or may not provide some points for discussion.

Here's the link:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/se...-mentally-ill/
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Quote Originally Posted by jak
    I saw this article written by Sean Thomas on "The Telegraph" (UK) earlier this morning as I was watching the football game PSV vs AC Milan.

I don't agree with the rather provocative if not insulting heading.
    Might have been a response to the likes of Dawkins claiming that [theistic] religion is a disease of the mind, and that religious instruction was worse than physical child abuse.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I'll see if I can ferret out all of the nonsense in that article at some later stage. But "studies" of the kind mentioned are frequently dodgy. They tend to confuse correlation with causation.

For instance, people who go to church do tend to have better health than people who don't, but to a large degree that's because people who have poor health are physically less able to go to church. (Also people with a history of poor health might be more likely to realise the God thing is a crock, but that's another story.)

Even if on some underlying level there was a genuine health benefit to religious beliefs, that would say nothing about whether or not such beliefs were actually true.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I'll see if I can ferret out all of the nonsense in that article at some later stage. But "studies" of the kind mentioned are frequently dodgy. They tend to confuse correlation with causation.
    There may be some health benefits from being religious in terms of lower stress levels. Belief (for example) in a divine system of justice may be a coping mechanism for perceived material injustices and the like.

Regarding the nonsensical piece by Sean Thomas, it was laugh-out-loud funny in parts. My favourite was the claim that believers were "nicer". I agree but would add that this is not a positive quality.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)

Apostle of Atheopathy Clinton R. Dawkins won't discuss Islam or Lawrence Krauss

ON RICHARD DAWKINS TELLING ME WHAT NOT TO ASK
    Andrew Bolt, Herald Sun, 18 April 2018

Richard Dawkins, the famous atheist, agreed weeks ago to come on my show. I am agnostic and had planned a conversation, not a confrontation, about his published views on Islam and Christianity.

But just 90 minutes before showtime Dawkins started to bombard me with lists of questions I could not ask.

Here's how I responded last night.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    ON RICHARD DAWKINS TELLING ME WHAT NOT TO ASK
    Andrew Bolt, Herald Sun, 18 April 2018
    Richard Dawkins, the famous atheist, agreed weeks ago to come on my show. I am agnostic and had planned a conversation, not a confrontation, about his published views on Islam and Christianity. But just 90 minutes before showtime Dawkins started to bombard me with lists of questions I could not ask. Here's how I responded last night.
    What has this got to do with either smugness or intelligence?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    What has this got to do with either smugness or intelligence?
    Bolt has smug covered.
    meep meep

Thread Information