Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 22 of 22
  1. #16
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    12,183

    Are atheists mentally ill?

    I saw this article written by Sean Thomas on "The Telegraph" (UK) earlier this morning as I was watching the football game PSV vs AC Milan.

    I don't agree with the rather provocative if not insulting heading.

    I haven't read it but just looking through it en passant I noticed that it contains some statistical figures (not sure how accurate they are) which may or may not provide some points for discussion.

    Here's the link:

    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/se...-mentally-ill/
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

    https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

    In defense of Capitalism.
    Money is the cause of all evil!
    Wrong
    Lack of money is the cause of all evil!

  2. #17
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    20,171
    Quote Originally Posted by jak
    I saw this article written by Sean Thomas on "The Telegraph" (UK) earlier this morning as I was watching the football game PSV vs AC Milan.

    I don't agree with the rather provocative if not insulting heading.
    Might have been a response to the likes of Dawkins claiming that [theistic] religion is a disease of the mind, and that religious instruction was worse than physical child abuse.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

  3. #18
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    38,443
    I'll see if I can ferret out all of the nonsense in that article at some later stage. But "studies" of the kind mentioned are frequently dodgy. They tend to confuse correlation with causation.

    For instance, people who go to church do tend to have better health than people who don't, but to a large degree that's because people who have poor health are physically less able to go to church. (Also people with a history of poor health might be more likely to realise the God thing is a crock, but that's another story.)

    Even if on some underlying level there was a genuine health benefit to religious beliefs, that would say nothing about whether or not such beliefs were actually true.

  4. #19
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I'll see if I can ferret out all of the nonsense in that article at some later stage. But "studies" of the kind mentioned are frequently dodgy. They tend to confuse correlation with causation.
    There may be some health benefits from being religious in terms of lower stress levels. Belief (for example) in a divine system of justice may be a coping mechanism for perceived material injustices and the like.

    Regarding the nonsensical piece by Sean Thomas, it was laugh-out-loud funny in parts. My favourite was the claim that believers were "nicer". I agree but would add that this is not a positive quality.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  5. #20
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    20,171

    Apostle of Atheopathy Clinton R. Dawkins won't discuss Islam or Lawrence Krauss

    ON RICHARD DAWKINS TELLING ME WHAT NOT TO ASK
    Andrew Bolt, Herald Sun, 18 April 2018

    Richard Dawkins, the famous atheist, agreed weeks ago to come on my show. I am agnostic and had planned a conversation, not a confrontation, about his published views on Islam and Christianity.

    But just 90 minutes before showtime Dawkins started to bombard me with lists of questions I could not ask.

    Here's how I responded last night.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

  6. #21
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,649
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    ON RICHARD DAWKINS TELLING ME WHAT NOT TO ASK
    Andrew Bolt, Herald Sun, 18 April 2018
    Richard Dawkins, the famous atheist, agreed weeks ago to come on my show. I am agnostic and had planned a conversation, not a confrontation, about his published views on Islam and Christianity. But just 90 minutes before showtime Dawkins started to bombard me with lists of questions I could not ask. Here's how I responded last night.
    What has this got to do with either smugness or intelligence?

  7. #22
    CC Grandmaster Desmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The island
    Posts
    12,843
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    What has this got to do with either smugness or intelligence?
    Bolt has smug covered.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

    See you in another life, brotha.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Why are atheists offended by Jesus statue?
    By Mrs Jono in forum Religion and Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22-07-2012, 04:40 AM
  2. Atheists & Zionism
    By antichrist in forum Religion and Science
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-06-2011, 02:32 AM
  3. Atheists Vs Christians Tourney
    By antichrist in forum Religion and Science
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 07-11-2009, 06:44 PM
  4. SMH article: "Celebrity atheists expose their hypocrisy"
    By arosar in forum Religion and Science
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 29-10-2009, 05:40 PM
  5. The Good News: Believers and Atheists Rejoice!
    By arosar in forum Religion and Science
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 21-09-2009, 03:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •