Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dutch Defence

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Most move orders, can be Trompovsky against the Dutch. Actually lots of tricky systems possible against Dutch/Leningrad such as c3, Nh3 etc.
    I meant that once Black has played 1..f5, to call Bg5 systems a Trompovsky is to stretch that opening name beyond its intended range. Which I thought was 1 d4 Nf6 2 Bg5. This position is not possible once Black has played 1...f5.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    All things come* to those who wait! Fixed.
    A LIKE button would be handy.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

CC Rookie
    Let's face it an attacking opening which allows one to sacrifice all their minor pieces for checkmate is worth trying.
    Just ask Najdorf. Though it does look suspiciously unsound given the king gets exposed starting at move one.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ball View Post
    Let's face it an attacking opening which allows one to sacrifice all their minor pieces for checkmate is worth trying.
    Just ask Najdorf. Though it does look suspiciously unsound given the king gets exposed starting at move one.
    Err...is Dutch an attacking Opening? If white wants to be solid, not really
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Quote Originally Posted by James Peirce View Post
    This is my variant of the Dutch Defense that combines the Leningrad with the stonewall.
    It can be found here http://chessmicrobase.com/g/tms8ff2z
    A good way to combine the drawbacks of both.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by James Peirce View Post
    after 8.d5 exchanging of pawns leaves black with an isolated d-pawn but opens up the position for the black bishops.
    In your analysis line, what is with that craven retreat 12.Bc1? White wins the exchange with 12.Bd6.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    A good way to combine the drawbacks of both.
    Black got to be careful though not to end up with a bad black square bishop. Also white can aim for b4-b5 undermining black pawn chain (similar to how its done in Carlsbad variation of Queen's gabmit) and if successful, I do not fancy black's chances of holding its queenside.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Black got to be careful though not to end up with a bad black square bishop. Also white can aim for b4-b5 undermining black pawn chain (similar to how its done in Carlsbad variation of Queen's gabmit) and if successful, I do not fancy black's chances of holding its queenside.
    My comment was a recommendation against the line.

CC Rookie
    Err...is Dutch an attacking Opening? If white wants to be solid, not really
    Yes Black usually plans to attack on the kingside in the Dutch defence.
    Of course White isn't without chances which would be either the center or queenside.

CC Candidate Master
    I tried the dutch against IM Ari Dale today in the Aus Juniors Championship, didn't have much luck.

CC International Master Kaitlin's Avatar
    probably had holes in it
    .. this Caketin is full of little spiders and watermelon seeds.....

..Chess is all about fear and psychology

..Chess is like an exam..... you havent studied for

..If you're good at Chess it means you are very intelligent and could potentialy do great things
    ..... but that you might have wasted that playing way too much chess

Last night for the first time in a standard time control game I played the Stonewall Dutch rather than the Leningrad. I was slightly worse from the opening (bad QB) but in the middle game my Filipino opponent blundered a piece. The best thing from my point of view was that Levi Descallar is 1830 ACF and, due to lack of preparation time and tiredness after work along with bad play, I had dropped to 1560 ACF.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    Last night for the first time in a standard time control game I played the Stonewall Dutch rather than the Leningrad. I was slightly worse from the opening (bad QB) but in the middle game my Filipino opponent blundered a piece. The best thing from my point of view was that Levi Descallar is 1830 ACF and, due to lack of preparation time and tiredness after work along with bad play, I had dropped to 1560 ACF.
    that was a very good win Adamski. Keep up the good work!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Yes that is a good result !

I played Levi in the last round of one of the SIO's I think and drew an interesting game.

Were you surprised when you emerged from the opening with a bad QB ? LOL sorry.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
    Were you surprised when you emerged from the opening with a bad QB ? LOL sorry.
    One of my (fairly strong) students swapped off his KB (after Black played Bf5) and continued to play the Stonewall (as White). All of the positional problems, but none of the attacking benefits!

Thread Information