Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar

Hobart Weekender

Progress scores after round 4 of 7.

4/4 Kevin Bonham
    3/4 Peter Billam, Glen Gibbs, Charles Chadwick, Amiel Rosario, Phil Donnelly, Joe Basic
    2.5/4 Bradley Stansfield, Nigel Frame

(27 players).

NSW BBers: your boy's doing well. Today he scored an upset win against second seed Peter Billam (see below) followed by draws with Nigel Frame and Bradley Stansfield (latter is a former state champion returning to tournament chess after seven years off.) Amiel has black against me in round 5 tomorrow morning.

Quite an exciting day with numerous upsets and a territorial dispute with another user group (we won because we booked last December and they only booked in March).

A few games from today:

Peter Billam (UNR c.1920) - Amiel Rosario (1640)

PGN Viewer

John O'Mara (1292) - Thomas Hendrey (1478)

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 30-10-2004 at 10:16 PM.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

A spectacular round 6 tactical blow-up against Glen Gibbs was not enough to stop top seed Kevin Bonham from winning the 2004 Hobart Weekender (7xG60) by a full point. Gibbs and Bonham entered the last round tied for first but Bonham defeated Nigel Frame, while Gibbs lost a minor piece ending in a frantic time scramble with Peter Billam. Billam had several good wins but also a couple of big losses, missing a tactic against NSW visitor Amiel Rosario and then getting his queen trapped in a nest of pawns in the middle of the board on move 16 against Phil Donnelly. Joining Gibbs and Billam on 5/7 was Ross George, who only took a first-round upset loss to Leo Minol to shake off eighteen months of rust before charging home to win the U1700 prize with a relentless attack followed by a king-hunt against Charles Chadwick in the final round. Another rusty returnee was equal 1993 state champion Bradley Stansfield, whose 4.5/7 was a respectable effort after seven years off.

Joe Basic was paired with over-1500s in every single round, and defeated four of them (including Gibbs in a first-round upset), well and truly earning the U1500 ratings prize. Thomas Hendrey was rather luckier in winning the best junior prize. After losing to an excellent John O'Mara piece sacrifice, Hendrey's further adventures included an ignominous bye and the tournament's most exciting time scramble, against Noel O'Mara. Hendrey had finally converted a very messy queen and rook ending to a clearly won rook ending, and O'Mara, with almost no time remaining, resigned. Had O'Mara realised that Hendrey only had two seconds left himself, perhaps he would have played on! Suraj Dutt, recently moved from NSW, would have won the prize had he beaten Tony Sturges in the final round. Dutt will be a strong player if he can greatly improve his ability to finish off opponents from winning positions. In round 2, he was queen for a few pawns up against Gibbs but needlessly gave up queen for rook because he was afraid of a pawn threatening to queen. Gibbs then won with four pawns against Dutt's rook, an incredible escape from what could have been a totally ruined weekend after his round 1 loss to Basic.

The tournament was played in excellent spirit by the 27 entrants with no significant incidents except for a territorial dispute with another Migrant Resource Centre user group that falsely claimed to have an overriding Saturday evening booking for the tournament room.

6/7 Kevin Bonham (1943)
    5 Peter Billam (UNR), Glen Gibbs (1835), Ross George (1689) (U1700 prize)
    4.5 Nigel Frame (1800), Phil Donnelly (1709), Amiel Rosario (NSW,1640), Bradley Stansfield (1725)
    4 Charles Chadwick (1819), Milutin Ivkovic (1577), Michael Schmidt (1527), Joseph Basic (1437)(U1500 prize), Scott Cohen (UNR)
    3.5 Tony Sturges (1344), Thomas Hendrey* (1478,j) (junior prize)
    3 Nick Chapman (1532), Noel O'Mara (1517), David Christian (1420), Dallas Fry* (1370), John O'Mara* (1292), Leo Minol (1219), Tony Salter* (1119), William Shaw (1147,j)
    2.5 Suraj Dutt (1057,j)
    2 Alex Shaw* (831,j)
    1.5 Tim Hooks# (UNR, j), Cath Shaw* (683, fj)

* = 1 point bye
    # = half point bye on request

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 03-11-2004 at 06:05 PM.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

This was an excellent tourney - no matter that it was quite small. I think the advantage of small affairs like this one is that the general atmosphere is more social and friendly.

Pics and more commentary coming up later when I get a chance. It was good to see you Kevo. Now where can I go next? Maybe I go visit me mate gray.

AR

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    This was an excellent tourney - no matter that it was quite small. I think the advantage of small affairs like this one is that the general atmosphere is more social and friendly.

Pics and more commentary coming up later when I get a chance. It was good to see you Kevo. Now where can I go next? Maybe I go visit me mate gray.

AR
    will you be going back to hobart?

Thanks AR. Great having you down here.

A few more games.

Bonham (1943) - Frame (1800) This last round game was pretty awful.

PGN Viewer

Peter Billam (UNR) - Phil Donnelly (1703)

PGN Viewer

Peter Billam (UNR) - Nigel Frame (1809)

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 02-11-2004 at 05:44 PM.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    David Christian (1420), John O'Mara* (1292)
    Kevin,

Are either of these two guys former residents of the Illawarra, do you know?
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by arosar

AR
    QLD U1850 Champs on Nov. 20-21. Certainly winnable for you!
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

As I had never been to Tassie, a weekender seemed like a good excuse. Overall I enjoyed my stay, spent most of time in Hobart town. Lovely place that. Too small for me though. Weather was good, sans sinister sky more common in Vic and NSW.

My only 'weird' experience was at the backpackers. One night, while watching TV, this tall skinny chick of about 45+ or so, another guest actually, suddenly turned to me and said, "God told me to tell you that my tooth is healed".

I thought, "Oh here we go, my first Tassie loonie". My God that woman scared the schit out of me. She went on about how the Lord had healed her tooth. Then she tells me that she never had friends when she was young. She had pets: a dog, a cat, a bird - but apparently no human pals. Nada. I've been around and have seen my fair share of Sydney nuts, but I tell you what - this one really alarmed me. I got up off of my seat to move and so did she, following me around the joint.

Finally I say to her, "Listen you sit down there and watch the TV cos you're just wasting power and I got a chess game tomorrow". To my relief she agreed. Next day, I'm sittin' there again and she hands me 4 AA size batteries with a note supposedly written by God. Jesus, I was gobsmacked. Later in the day, the police came along and took her away. And that was that with that.

Anyway to chess.

This event was hosted by the Hobart International Chess Club. What an ambitious name you think, you know, 'International' and all that. Well, the story goes that the club was founded way back in '94 as a Serbian chess club. But the founders thought it better to be more inclusive, less political and non geographical. So, the club became an 'International Chess Club'.

Twenty-seven players contested the tournament. For such a small field you'd think chess was dying in Tassie. That wasn't my impression. It's just stats I guess. Small population, so small number of chessers. Makes sense to me. If anything, I'd say chess is in a healthy state down there - particularly in the junior ranks. After all, why else would David Cordover be hiring? I swear I saw an ad for a chess coach paying about $25 - $30 per hour.

And let's not forget, chess has been in this colony since 1803, "soon after Lieutenant John Bowen settled with a small party of troops and convicts at Risdon Cove, on the Derwent River, a few miles upstream of what is now Hobart" (Wagg, P. in ACL 1982 quoted in Neville, 2001:1). I'm pretty sure chess will be around at least another 200 years.

Below are a few photos I took. Enjoy.

AR

Glen Gibbs

One of Tassie's old warriors, Glen Gibbs. After a disastrous first round loss, he bounced back to eventually reached the top board and faced our mate, Kevin. That game is given above. As you saw, Mr Gibbs can still pull off a trick or two.

Dr. Kevin Bonham

And Mr Bonham! He surprised me somewhat. I had expected a sort of cold academic type. Yet he turned out to be quite emotional. He was visibly upset at his setback to Gibbs, for instance. And, in his last round match-up against Frame, Kevin allowed himself a clinched fist with a quiet, 'Yess!' I guess these two have had their duels over the years. Way back in 1987, at the Tassie Open Championship, the weakling unrated K.J. Bonham scored all of 2.5 points with a win over N. Frame, rated 1118.

Chess by the creek

There is a small creek just next to the venue. I was reliably informed that you'd occassionally spot a dozen or so fairly large trouts. If you're lucky (or unlucky) and finish a round early, you could cast a line and enjoy a day of chess and some fishing. Only in Tassie surely!

Gibbs - Bonham post game analysis

Postmortem to Gibbs - Bonham wherein the old warrior prevailed.

The tournament field

The big plus of small events is that they generally have a more social and friendly feel. This weekender was no different. It seemed to me that Tassie chessers don't have as many weekenders as we do, say, in Sydney - so they make the most of each event. There were no hysterics here over 10.2 or someone's loud chewing. I guess if one travelled far, as did Phil D from Burnie, you really have no time for that. Just chess.

After a game

Players examining their game. Chessers shared the migrant resource centre with other guests. On Staurday, we were nearly booted out. Then on Sunday, I think it was, this woman strolls right into the playing room and asked quite loudly, "Who's car is that in the driveway?" Maybe she didn't noticed the silence.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Good photos, Amiel. In the Gibbs-Bonham post mortem, the player watching on looks to be John Slidziunas, but I didn't see his name in the tournament results. Was he unable to play both days or something?
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Thread Information