Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zonal Titles

Quote Originally Posted by Qbert View Post
    Hi Tony,
    looking at the scoretable four of your opponents were unrated at the start of the tournament, so presumably achieved their first rating at the end of the event. I'm no expert, but I think that rules out any possible live rating over 2200 during the event, as those games would be unrated at least until the end in order to get the 9 games.
    Thanks Quentin, I'll just have to play in a zonal (or two) ... something I've never managed to find the time for in the past.
    Fischer visiting Tal in hospital - Curaçao 1962

"You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one." - Mikhail Tal
    "Best by test" (on 1.e4) - Bobby Fischer

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    It will be interesting to see how many of the new crop of Zonal-FMs have met the normal rating requirement for FM by the time of the next Zonal.

For the statistics compiled in #12, I am treating the current system differently from the previous system because of the large changes before 2015. Of the five 2015 direct title winners (excluding CM/WCM) two (Chen and Loh) have so far also qualified for FM by rating.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 24-01-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    I am treating the current system differently from the previous system because of the large changes before 2015. Of the five 2015 direct title winners (excluding CM/WCM) two (Chen and Loh) have so far also qualified for FM by rating.
    Congrats to them!
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

CC Candidate Master
    Hi kevin how do you get the form to pay 80 dollars for the CM title?

Quote Originally Posted by junior View Post
    See here:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....l=1#post419767

Quote Originally Posted by junior View Post
    WOW Junior you 've made it! Congratulations!!! I am sure that now your dad won't have anymore doubts
    about your talent and progress in chess so your entering tournaments will be much easier!
    Keep up the good work!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Renzies View Post
    WOW Junior you 've made it! Congratulations!!! I am sure that now your dad won't have anymore doubts
    about your talent and progress in chess so your entering tournaments will be much easier!
    Keep up the good work!
    haha thanks he is sometimes a bit hard to convince but next year i can go myself so thats good

For the purposes of the tracking in #12 - as noted by Thomas on the Soft Titles thread, Ari Dale has cracked 2400 live rating. I don't know how many IM norm performances he has had.

CC Candidate Master
    For the purposes of the tracking in #12 - as noted by Thomas on the Soft Titles thread, Ari Dale has cracked 2400 live rating. I don't know how many IM norm performances he has had.
    For Ari, was Tata Steel C group good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by ThebeJohnston View Post
    For Ari, was Tata Steel C group good enough?
    Yes so that's one at least. I think it would have been a ten game norm had he required it, as he beat the nine-game requirement by a point. He may have others.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Dowden View Post
    Thanks Quentin, I'll just have to play in a zonal (or two) ... something I've never managed to find the time for in the past.
    Hah, I'm finally managing to compete in my first zonal! About 18 months ago my wife and I decided we'd both go to the next Zonal but we thought it would be held in Fiji. Now I'm going to Guam to play chess and she is going to Germany to see family!

Oh, this thread is about zonal titles. Well, I reckon I'll be bringing one home. If it's a CM, well I already qualified for that twice. If it's an FM, I'm hoping I can justify it. But if it's an IM, Max will probably have some explaining to do and I'll probably find that the love from the chess mafia is so intense that I'll have to retire from Chess Chat for a decade or two.
    Last edited by Tony Dowden; 07-02-2019 at 10:20 PM.

"You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one." - Mikhail Tal

It will be interesting to see how many of the new crop of Zonal-FMs have met the normal rating requirement for FM by the time of the next Zonal.

For the statistics compiled in #12, I am treating the current system differently from the previous system because of the large changes before 2015. Of the five 2015 direct title winners (excluding CM/WCM) two (Chen and Loh) have so far also qualified for FM by rating.
    I get that 2/11 of the 2017 Zonal FM-winners (and none of the others) have since qualified for their titles in the normal way: Daniel Gong by rating, Luis Chan by live rating.

That makes 4/21 of the 2015-2017 Zonal title-winners who have so far qualified for the same titles the hard way.

The 2019 crop will be yet another different category because of the rating floor for getting the title, meaning that some people will receive Zonal titles long after the tournament.

CC Grandmaster
    Hah, I'm finally managing to compete in my first zonal! About 18 months ago my wife and I decided we'd both go to the next Zonal but we thought it would be held in Fiji. Now I'm going to Guam to play chess and she is going to Germany to see family!

Oh, this thread is about zonal titles. Well, I reckon I'll be bringing one home. If it's a CM, well I already qualified for that twice. If it's an FM, I'm hoping I can justify it. But if it's an IM, Max will probably have some explaining to do and I'll probably find that the love from the chess mafia is so intense that I'll have to retire from Chess Chat for a decade or two.
    Well, right now you are probably one of our strongest 2100-rated players. With an IM title you will suddenly be ''reclassified'' into Australia's weakest IM
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Well, right now you are probably one of our strongest 2100-rated players. With an IM title you will suddenly be ''reclassified'' into Australia's weakest IM
    Luckily I play for New Zealand I'm the only active National Master (of NZ) who doesn't have a GM, IM or FM title.
    Last edited by Tony Dowden; 08-02-2019 at 08:42 AM.

CC Grandmaster
    Luckily I play for New Zealand I'm the only active National Master (of NZ) who doesn't have a GM, IM or FM title.
    In the light of this, and your hard-fought effort against Beliavsky at the 1982 Ollyimpiad, I can personally guarantee that there will be no attacks (warm congratulations only) in case you secure your FM title at the Zonal .

Should you become an IM though, I may still have something to say

On a serous note, wishing you good luck with the tournament and good times in Guam (it is an interesting place to visit I guess)
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Thread Information