Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zonal Titles

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    [list snipped - no need to quote full list for one line reply - mod]
    Thanks Bill, a very interesting and inclusive list!
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 18-06-2013 at 11:50 AM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski
    Most of these title winners I have previously congratulated but not Kiwi Sue Mararoa. Well done Sue and all the title holders whom Kevin named.
    ???
    Wasn't Kevin was on about Sue Maroroa earning a WFM by normal rating means. Her published rating high is 2099, so I'm assuming Kevin was referring to an interim rating.

Sue is already a WIM from the 2009 zonal in Gold Coast. So we should not be demoting her, let alone congratulate a demotion! (that did not happen).
    She has still not reached 2300 rating to earn FM through ratings.

Regretfully, Sue can no longer enter an Oceania zonal since she had transferred to the ENG federation.
    IA Keong Ang

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly." Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Awarded from Oceania Zonal 2013

IM
    Igor Bjelobrk
    Ari Dale

FM
    Anton Smirnov...
    WFM...
    Mararoa...
    Most of these title winners I have previously congratulated but not Kiwi Sue Mararoa. Well done Sue and all the title holders whom Kevin named.
    Somehow you messed up your quoting of Kevin's list of 2013 title winners and included Sue. She did not even play in the 2013 Zonal having achieved the WIM title back in the 2009 Zonal.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    It is good if people do trim what they are quoting rather than quoting a massive chunk of text for a reply that is only a few lines long. However it's also important when trimming to avoid doing so in a misleading way that gives an incorrect impression.

If quoting text and modifying it by snipping sections within the quoted text use [..] to replace the snipped material to make it clear that words do not follow directly after each other.

There is not only a list of zonal titles on this thread but also my analysis of how many players have achieved the normal requirements for the Zonal titles that they hold. This is of interest to some people because of the proliferation of titles in Australia as a result of Zonals. Sue Maroroa was awarded the title based on a Zonal in 2009 but has also just reached the normal rating requirement for the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Keong Ang
    She has still not reached 2300 rating to earn FM through ratings.
    The WFM requirement is a rating of 2100.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

The WFM requirement is a rating of 2100.
    Exactly. The WFM what I was referring to when saying Sue's published rating high is 2099 and so Kevin must have been referring to some interim rating (that was at or above 2100).

I was saying that Sue has not reached 2300 to earn a FM through ratings. Should be taken in the context of messed up quoting that you had mentioned.
    IA Keong Ang

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly." Abraham Lincoln

I quoted the whole thing for its very important historical value!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

Quote Originally Posted by jak
    I quoted the whole thing for its very important historical value!
    It's already on the site once for that purpose and doesn't need to be so again!

CC FIDE Master

WIM Sue Maroroa

Just for those who are interested to know or don't know as of yet, WIM Sue Maroroa is now flying under the English flag for obvious reasons.

So its probably best to say that she is no longer a zone 3.6er now only by history.

lost

Somehow you messed up your quoting of Kevin's list of 2013 title winners and included Sue. She did not even play in the 2013 Zonal having achieved the WIM title back in the 2009 Zonal.
    Thanks Bill, Kevin and Keong. Points taken.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

I've made a correction to #12 because I've found that in the 2009 Doeberl Cup, FM Geoff Saw gained 20.55 live rating points in the first four rounds from a start rating of 2279, which rounds up to 21 (ie 2300), prior to then dropping back to 2280 over subsequent rounds. So he is added to the list of Zonal FMs who have gone on to qualify for FM by conventional means.

As noted on other threads CM Jack Puccini is slated to gain 104 rating points from a 7/7 score this period taking him from 2096 to 2200. This makes him the first Australian to accept a CM title from a zonal then later qualify for it by other means. (Others have qualified for the title without accepting it then later done so.) [EDIT: He has since become an FM as well.]
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 06-03-2015 at 11:57 PM.

Unsure if this issue has been aired before - I bet it has - but it's mildly disappointing to discover CM titles were invented in 2002 and for many years I was safely over 2200 and I qualified outright for the title at the Bled OL in 2002 with (above) a 50% score I presume, yet the first I heard about the title was when it was already too late for me to apply for it (and when my rating had dropped well under 2200). Probably affected a few others in that era too.
    Last edited by Tony Dowden; 05-09-2014 at 10:50 PM.
    Fischer visiting Tal in hospital - Curaçao 1962

"You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one." - Mikhail Tal
    "Best by test" (on 1.e4) - Bobby Fischer

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Dowden View Post
    Unsure if this issue has been aired before - I bet it has - but it's mildly disappointing to discover CM titles were invented in 2002 and for many years I was safely over 2200 and I qualified outright for the title at the Bled OL in 2002 with (above) a 50% score I presume, yet the first I heard about the title was when it was already too late for me to apply for it (and when my rating had dropped well under 2200). Probably affected a few others in that era too.
    When I look at your rating profile I see that in the Jan 2006 period (ie sometime in late 2005) you gained six FIDE points in nine games to go from 2184 to 2190. However - and this is odd - I can't click to bring up the results of that tournament.

Do you know what it was? If by some chance you went over a live rating of 2200 in that event (or perhaps it was multiple events) then I think you could still be eligible.

I'm not sure exactly when the 2200 rating for CM came in except that it was not after mid-2005.

I can confirm that FIDE don't backdate CM claims in the case of feats that would have qualified the player for CM had they been achieved today. The rules have to have been met at the time.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 05-09-2014 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    When I look at your rating profile I see that in the Jan 2006 period (ie sometime in late 2005) you gained six FIDE points in nine games to go from 2184 to 2190. However - and this is odd - I can't click to bring up the results of that tournament.

Do you know what it was? If by some chance you went over a live rating of 2200 in that event (or perhaps it was multiple events) then I think you could still be eligible.

I'm not sure exactly when the 2200 rating for CM came in except that it was not after mid-2005.

I can confirm that FIDE don't backdate CM claims in the case of feats that would have qualified the player for CM had they been achieved today. The rules have to have been met at the time.
    Hi Kevin,

I've just noticed your post!

I've looked in the Otago Chess Club archives (online and accessible without a password) and think this must be the event in question:

Otago Chess Club Championship – 1 October 2005: In yet another convincing performance, Richard Sutton has retained his title with a game in hand (currently on 7½/8) - making it four in a row from 2001 to 2005. With some games to play in the A grade 2nd= has gone to Tony Dowden (in his last club tournament for some time, alas) and Quentin Johnson on 7/9. While a very creditable 4th was earned by junior Andrew Stone, finishing on 5/9.

I know my last or second last game was against Quentin Johnson (which I lost) and was played just before I moved to Tasmania ... but I doubt I managed to breach 2200 at any point.

The archives do say this though:

OCC Championship Update – 17 August
    Tony Dowden is leading the A grade win 6 wins from six games played, ahead of Geoff Aimers with 3½/6, defending champion Richard Sutton 3/3, Quentin Johnson 3/4 and Don Storey 3/6. The crunch will likely come when top three seeds Dowden, Sutton & Johnson square off.
    Last edited by Tony Dowden; 06-03-2015 at 11:57 PM.
    Fischer visiting Tal in hospital - Curaçao 1962

"You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one." - Mikhail Tal
    "Best by test" (on 1.e4) - Bobby Fischer

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Dowden View Post
    I know my last or second last game was against Quentin Johnson (which I lost) and was played just before I moved to Tasmania ... but I doubt I managed to breach 2200 at any point.

The archives do say this though:

OCC Championship Update – 17 August
    Tony Dowden is leading the A grade win 6 wins from six games played, ahead of Geoff Aimers with 3½/6, defending champion Richard Sutton 3/3, Quentin Johnson 3/4 and Don Storey 3/6. The crunch will likely come when top three seeds Dowden, Sutton & Johnson square off.
    Hi Tony,
    looking at the scoretable four of your opponents were unrated at the start of the tournament, so presumably achieved their first rating at the end of the event. I'm no expert, but I think that rules out any possible live rating over 2200 during the event, as those games would be unrated at least until the end in order to get the 9 games.

Thread Information