Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Maybe RW is being divinely inspired to write the Book of the Wars of the Lord.
    meep meep

CC Candidate Master
    didn't my posts get deleted here, why are they not here?

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John777
    didn't my posts get deleted here, why are they not here?
    Many posts were moved to this new thread:

http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=14711

CC FIDE Master
    Here is my quote for the day:
    Jesus said "And whatever you ask in my name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it. (John 14:13-14 NAB)"

I'm a bit disappointed though. I prayed for world peace (in the name of Jesus) but I don't think I got it. Did I do it wrongly or was Jesus telling porkies?
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

Quote Originally Posted by jammo
    Jesus said "And whatever you ask in my name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it. (John 14:13-14 NAB)"

I'm a bit disappointed though. I prayed for world peace (in the name of Jesus) but I don't think I got it. Did I do it wrongly or was Jesus telling porkies?
    maybe he thought you said 'world peas'.

its quite possible that he has left a basket on your doorstep with strains of pea from around the globe.

or hes just deaf.

CC Grandmaster

Did you actually believe in God when you prayed for this?

since you have such a strong belief in god oepty why havent you prayed to god for world peace and achieved it ?

does this not interest you ?

CC Candidate Master

1. If you aren't a Christian your prayers dont need answering.

2. Praying for world peace is not good because of this:

Matthew 10:34 (KJV) Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

3. You might have the wrong motives when you prayed.

4. You quote the NAB instead of the KJV.

5. Nevermind

Matthew 10:34 (KJV) Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
    what is the sword for ?

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar

So in the case of a Christian praying for world peace, your Bible on your own reading contradicts itself, but it seems you are saying a Christian would not pray for world peace anyway. Still more evidence that your view is not about following God because your God is "good" by any objective and externally evaluated criteria, but is about obeying a given conception of God, out of fear that you will be sent to Hell if you do not, even though God as thus conceived is unworthy of worship and a nasty piece of work.

CC Grandmaster
    I believe God will bring about world peace, perhaps sooner rather than later. I see no problem with praying for world peace as long as you understand when the Bible says it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Uncle Bulgaria
    what is the sword for ?
    Swallowing. Part of the water into wine, cutting Mary in half parlour trick number.
    meep meep

Quote Originally Posted by Oepty
    I believe God will bring about world peace, perhaps sooner rather than later. I see no problem with praying for world peace as long as you understand when the Bible says it will happen.
    youve just invalidated post 51.

clearly you believe that even if an individual is a committed believer in the lord, there is no guarantee that their prayer with be met with any meaningful response since god will only resolve world peace "perhaps sooner rather than later".

jammos persuasion obviously has no bearing on your gods decisions therefore your point is erroneous.

Quote Originally Posted by road runner
    Swallowing. Part of the water into wine, cutting Mary in half parlour trick number.
    i quite enjoy a good circus.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Uncle Bulgaria
    what is the sword for ?
    i give the context of the passage:

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law." - Matthew 10:34,35

The Gospel of Jesus Christ Has Always Offended the Wicked! Romans 9:33 refers to Christ as a “stumblingblock” and a "Rock of offence.” Jesus clearly taught in Matthew 10:34,35 that He did NOT come to this world to bring peace. Let me clarify, Jesus' did come to die upon the cross for our sins; thus, enabling us to have peace with God through the precious shed blood of Jesus Christ. BUT, Jesus also expects us to preach the Gospel, which OFFENDS most people. Let me define “Gospel” so there is no misunderstanding. 1st Corinthians 15:1-4 defines the “Gospel” as the DEATH, BURIAL, and RESURRECTION of Christ Jesus. This includes the blood of Jesus Christ (Romans 5:9).

Without the shedding of blood, there is no remission of sin (Hebrews 9:12, 22-24; Revelation 7:14). There is absolutely nothing in the Word of God which requires “holy baptism” or “holy communion” (both terms are NOT found in the Bible). The Bible never attaches the word “holy” to baptism or the Lord's supper. Hence, any religion which ADDS the “sacraments” (another word not found in the Bible) to faith alone in Christ, is a damnable false religion. This Biblical Truth OFFENDS most people. In fact, the Apostle Paul even called such people “accursed” for teaching ANOTHER GOSPEL (Galatians 1:9).

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Belie...ffend_them.htm

Thread Information