Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 77
  1. #1
    CC FIDE Master Keong Ang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    992

    FIDE World Amateur Championship 2013

    FIDE World Amateur Championship 2013

    Iasi, Romania.
    From 21st April (Arrival) to 1st May (Departure) 2013.
    Official website:
    www.wacc2013.ro

    9 rounds from 22nd April 2013 till 30th April 2013.
    1 round per day.
    Every round starts 3.30pm (+3 GMT).

    Link through chess results page:
    chess-results.com/tnr91568.aspx

    All relevant links and information on official website.
    Last edited by Keong Ang; 22-04-2013 at 05:31 AM.

  2. #2
    CC FIDE Master Keong Ang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    992
    Being one of the arbiters here I'll post updates when able.
    They will be from an arbiter's perspective.

    We just finished the technical/players meeting.

    Theodoros Tsorbatzoglou is the FIDE technical delegate and would also be chairing the appeals committee. One point that was announced is that appeals are only possible if submitted in writing within 30 minutes from the end of the game being appealed. Appeal fee of EUR100 is also required and this would be refunded if appeal is successful.

    Another point to note is the strict "mobile phone rule". No mobile phones or electronic devices are permitted (none of this "unless switched off" nonsense). Players are required to leave such devices in their hotel rooms or at home or in the car. If such devices are brought to the tournament venue, there will be a place to impound them but no responsibility will be taken for the safety/security of the devices.
    The announcement of this rule (made by FIDE in February) was met with huge applause from the players present.

    Agreed draws are permitted. Players need the permission of an arbiter to leave the playing area, eg. to use the restrooms, etc.
    It is allowed to drink water at the board but eating is prohibited. Got to leave the playing area just to have a piece of chocolate. This should cover all religious and medical problems around food. It also keeps things clean and removes distracting/offensive behaviour due to consumption of food.

    In drawing of colours, top seed would start on black.

    There may be up to 12 live boards broadcasting games.

  3. #3
    CC Candidate Master heligan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    337
    All the best to Alphaeus - get him to bring us back some rating points!

    I'm curious - does the mobile phone rule apply just to official FIDE events, or is it intended to apply to all FIDE-rated events?

  4. #4
    CC FIDE Master Keong Ang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    992
    Quote Originally Posted by heligan
    All the best to Alphaeus - get him to bring us back some rating points!

    I'm curious - does the mobile phone rule apply just to official FIDE events, or is it intended to apply to all FIDE-rated events?
    This is the first time I've encountered this total prohibition of mobile phones and other electronic devices rule. In fact, the arbiters and organisers of this tournament was caught a bit off guard by this.

    Theodoros made us correct the mobile phone rule wording.
    I think this rule is just for official FIDE events. Not to every FIDE rated event.

    Bringing back some rating points may be easier said than done!
    Everyone is aiming for 1st place that gives automatic FM title and 2200 FIDE rating points.

    Judging by the size of the trophies, it's going to be difficult to bring home a trophy!!
    We'll worry about this closer to the finish if there is a chance of winning it...

  5. #5
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Keong Ang
    This is the first time I've encountered this total prohibition of mobile phones and other electronic devices rule. In fact, the arbiters and organisers of this tournament was caught a bit off guard by this.

    Theodoros made us correct the mobile phone rule wording.
    I think this rule is just for official FIDE events. Not to every FIDE rated event.

    Bringing back some rating points may be easier said than done!
    Everyone is aiming for 1st place that gives automatic FM title and 2200 FIDE rating points.

    Judging by the size of the trophies, it's going to be difficult to bring home a trophy!!
    We'll worry about this closer to the finish if there is a chance of winning it...
    It is common practice for all official FIDE tournaments to have no electronic devices in the playing hall. I am not surprised by this and I am totally surprised why the arbiters and the organisers are caught off guard.

    Personally, I think this ruled should be applied to all FIDE events and arbiters should not have their phones at all on and organisers until the start of the round.

    The second paragraph is just my personally opinion.

    lost

  6. #6
    CC FIDE Master Keong Ang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    992
    Quote Originally Posted by lost
    It is common practice for all official FIDE tournaments to have no electronic devices in the playing hall. I am not surprised by this and I am totally surprised why the arbiters and the organisers are caught off guard.

    Personally, I think this ruled should be applied to all FIDE events and arbiters should not have their phones at all on and organisers until the start of the round.

    The second paragraph is just my personally opinion.

    lost
    The playing area is full of electronic devices. Clocks, eboards, computers...

    Usually players are allowed to have devices with them as long as they are completely switched off.
    This time any player found to have such a device on them would immediately lose the game. We don't care if they were switched off or not.

    Arbiters are permitted to have our phones and other electronic devices. The rules specify 3 types of people: players, spectators and arbiters.
    Prohibition for mobile phones etc. do not apply to arbiters. While embarrassing, no rules are broken if an arbiter's phone rings...

    Now I've got to go off to the opening ceremony. Starts in 15 minutes.
    Cannot keep the Romanian minister of sports waiting.!!

  7. #7
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Keong Ang
    The playing area is full of electronic devices. Clocks, eboards, computers...

    Usually players are allowed to have devices with them as long as they are completely switched off.
    This time any player found to have such a device on them would immediately lose the game. We don't care if they were switched off or not.

    Arbiters are permitted to have our phones and other electronic devices. The rules specify 3 types of people: players, spectators and arbiters.
    Prohibition for mobile phones etc. do not apply to arbiters. While embarrassing, no rules are broken if an arbiter's phone rings...

    Now I've got to go off to the opening ceremony. Starts in 15 minutes.
    Cannot keep the Romanian minister of sports waiting.!!
    I think the mobile phone rule should apply to arbiter's as well. If they call this an official FIDE tournament, these rules should apply regardless.

    That's just my view. I can speak from experience in not been an arbiter at an Olympiad but a Captain, and arbiter's were not allowed there phone's at at all. This is how it should be at the event of the World Amateur's.

    I wish you the best of luck over there Keong and all the best to Oceania countries!

    lost
    Last edited by lost; 22-04-2013 at 10:50 PM.

  8. #8
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    40,393
    Not sure what the final resolution to mobile phones in the 2013 FIDE Laws was or even if there's been one yet but the post-Congress moves late last year seemed to be in the direction of complete exclusion.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

    ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

    My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

  9. #9
    CC Grandmaster Adamski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Penrith, NSW
    Posts
    9,100
    Best wishes to all Australasians playing - I imagine they are few in number, Romania not being exactly on our doorstep.
    And best wishes to Keong with the arbiting side of things.
    Must say I am not overly keen on the total ban of mobile phones from the playing area. There is a certain comfort if an emergency develops in having your mobile with you, even though it is switched off. Even more so when many miles from home.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

    Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

    Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

    Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

  10. #10
    CC FIDE Master Keong Ang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    992
    Thanks for the well wishes.

    I can happily report that both the Australasians won their 1st round games as black against unrated players.

    Round 2 pairings for them are
    Code:
    7	75		Ang Alphaeus Wei Ern 	1853	1 		1 		Dinca Ovidiu 	1976	12
    12	79		Wijesuriya G.V. 	1846	1 		1 		Vrencian Lehel 	1966	18
    Things have just become tougher. But that's what they are here for.
    Pity there are only 6 live boards, Alphaeus just missed being on a live board.

    I better not too publicly cheer for the Australasians and start looking like a biased arbiter!!

  11. #11
    CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,167
    Go Vineetha!
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

  12. #12
    CC FIDE Master Keong Ang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    992
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee
    Go Vineetha!
    Who came all the way from Ballarat.

  13. #13
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    13,622
    Here is Veneetha, with son Tumula, and Ballarat legends Pat Cook and Kevin Perrin during the 2012 Australian Championship at North Geelong!


    Photo: Elliott Ranzies. The Chess Players Collection
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

    From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.
    Fully vaccinated since October, 21, 2021

  14. #14
    CC FIDE Master Keong Ang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    992
    ARRGH!!

    Talking about the Australasians seem to have put a hex on them...

  15. #15
    CC FIDE Master Keong Ang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    992
    Apparently the interview I gave on camera yesterday was for Romania national TV...
    Wonder if they liked having a kiwi arbiter around!

    Hopefully I said the right things... and looked the part of a titled arbiter from NZ who's also the NZCF Secretary.
    Wasn't prepared for media exposure.
    Last edited by Keong Ang; 24-04-2013 at 04:28 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. ACF December 2009 Ratings
    By Bill Gletsos in forum Ratings Arena
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 28-02-2010, 11:23 PM
  2. New World Championship cycle proposed by FIDE...
    By Southpaw Jim in forum General Chess Chat
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 10-10-2007, 08:15 PM
  3. World Championship 2007 leadup
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 31-05-2007, 01:23 AM
  4. FIDE to contract out future world champs (after Mexico?)
    By Kevin Bonham in forum General Chess Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-12-2006, 08:52 PM
  5. FIDE Ratings April 2004
    By Oepty in forum Ratings Arena
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 11-05-2004, 02:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •