Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CC International Master

RIP Hannibal Swartz

I dont feel its my place to be announcing such awful news as I didnt know Hannibal, but Hannibal has also died in the same accident as Andrew Saint - on the way back from Doeberl. Ive put this post here out of respect, but please if you were close to him, please feel free to remove it and replace it with something more appropriate
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 01-04-2013 at 11:40 PM.
    People with nothing to hide post using their real names...

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Szuveges
    I dont feel its my place to be announcing such awful news as I didnt know Hannibal, but Hannibal has also died in the same accident as Andrew Saint - on the way back from Doeberl. Ive put this post here out of respect, but please if you were close to him, please feel free to remove it and replace it with something more appropriate
    So shocked. Thinking of and preaying for his family.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 01-04-2013 at 11:40 PM.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly playing at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC FIDE Master
    I only met Hannibal Swartz a few times in 2013 and he was a very politely young man. We will never know how far he could have come with his chess.

HVIL I FRED/REST IN PEACE Hannibal.

I didn't know Hannibal personally but this is very sad news which the chess community is struggling to come to terms with. My thoughts are with Hannibal's family and friends.

More messages of support have been posted in the following thread as well: http://chesschat.com.au/showthread.php?t=14590

CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    Hannibal had applied for work with my chess coaching company and I had been in discussions with him, he was a very well spoken and friendly guy. I am in shock about what has happened and my thoughts are with James and Dimitry in their recovery...

CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    Hannibal was a keen Corrrespondence Chess League of Australia (CCLA) member and he leaves a few unfinished ICCF tournaments. I exchanged emails with him several times but only met him for the first time at the bookstall at the Doeberl Cup. He was a young man who had started to play a lot of chess. Such a shame to die so young.

CC Candidate Master

Vale Hannibal

I first met Hannibal when he joined the Melbourne Uni chess club a year ago. He had recently taken up chess, and was passionate about all aspects of the game; I remember how each session he would bring along puzzles he had composed, which were both artistic and challenging to solve! He was very keen to improve his chess, and I was always pleased to offer advice and point him in the right direction he became a regular not only at uni, but also at BHCC and the MCC, and already had achieved a sensational draw at GM Igor Khenkin's simul at BHCC. It's sad that my friendly correspondence games with him will now remain incomplete. Hannibal will stay on in my thoughts as the friendly and courteous person he was, and I would like to offer his family my deepest condolences. It's a terrible tragedy that he died so young; still I'm glad to have known him even for such a brief time.

CC International Master Carl Gorka's Avatar
    I never met Hannibal and now I never will. After all that I've heard about him in the past 12 hours I consider that a huge loss for me.

My deepest condolences to all who loved him.
    I've never been so broke that I couldn't leave town

I'm trying out a new blog site...
    http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/

Victorian Team Championships

CC Candidate Master
    Hannibal was a very well spoken and polite young man I had the opportunity to speak with on a few occassions at BHCC. He will be missed and like the rest of the entire chess family, our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and to all the others involved.

CC Rookie
    I met Hannibal for the first and only time a few weeks ago at the MCC. He struck me as a very pleasant and affable young man. I would like to pass my deepest condolences to his family and friends - Brian Fitzpatrick

CC International Master Rhubarb's Avatar
    This is really horrific news.

May I add my condolences to Hannibal's and Andrew's family and friends.

I hope that James, Dimitry, Paul and Anthony all make a complete recovery.

Greg Canfell
    Last edited by Rhubarb; 02-04-2013 at 11:10 PM.

I'd like express my heartfelt condolences to Hannibal's family should they ever happen to read this thread, as I mourn with the rest of the Australian chess community.

CC Candidate Master
    Very sad to hear this news played Hannibal in round 1 at the doeberl and knew he was definately talented then. Such a shame, hope the others recover fully.

CC Candidate Master

Farewell Hannibal

I have only had a few chats with Hannibal, but he seemed like such a gentle, innocent, pure type of guy.... Very very sad My love to all those who were close to him

Dave Lacey

CC Candidate Master
    I would lie to add a little about Hannibal as not everyone in the chess community knew him.

Hannibal Swartz had only been playing chess a short time (pehaps less than a year) and I met him on several occasions. He clearly had a great passion for chess. He was the only player to score against the GM in the simul at the Box Hill Chess club a couple of months back, a remarkable feat.

He was studying chess a lot and I recommended he read Fischers My 60 memorable games. I remember him studying 'Simple Chess' by Stean with Marcus Raine. He was showing a lot of promise and its a great shame his life was cut so short. I think he was only about 16 years old.

In chess we learn to make the best of any situation and how to "save" many a lost position. This applies to life too and as great fighters, I'm sure both James and Dimitri will pull through.
    For coaching contact Bill Jordan at swneerava@gmail.com
    my Chess ebooks can be found at Amazon Author Central
    and my YouTube channel is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsd...-HNla3kQdhTleQ

Thread Information