Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    CC Rookie
    I haven't known quite what to say, but I have to say something. I grew up in Andrew's era in school chess, and I remember him as PAC's board 1 for quite a while. He was always a figure in the chess scene, but maybe it wasn't until we both joined the Adelaide uni club that we became friends.

I had lost touch with him though, perhaps hadn't seen him since Mt Buller in 2005 - I'm not sure. But living in Canberra, I had decided to play in this year's Doeberl, and on the Friday he came up to me and said hi, and it was just like old times. It turned out we were paired up to play each other in the second round. I went a little wrong early, and he beat me convincingly, mercilessly you might say. After the game, still in the silence of the tournament hall, I whispered "what was that? I thought we were friends!", and he grinned and apologised.. we sat and analysed it afterwards, and he showed me where I went wrong. He of course won his next 5 games, and the tournament.

And the weekend was great - I had told a couple of people that I was struggling a bit in the tournament itself, but had met up with an old friend. We went for lunch on Sunday - Hannibal came too, and he seemed a quiet but really nice person - Andrew took us to the national library cafe.. despite living here, I'd never been, but he was pretty discerning with his food and the location. It was just a mild, sunny day.

And I watched him win the tournament. As I left on Monday afternoon, I interrupted him to say one final congratulations and goodbye, and he juggled his trophy, ipad, and something else and shook my hand. We had agreed to meet up when I next found myself in Melbourne. He said he knew some good restaurants.

People have mentioned his sense of humour, and some of his jokes just that weekend make me smile. And I remember in the early early days he told me that his rival school St Peters' Latin motto translated as "born to rule", and he put it with such conviction that I didn't know if I should believe him or not.

I keep thinking of Alex and their father, and the others in the van. It is so shocking.

Paul

Hi paul,

Andrew told me the "born to rule" translation of the St Peters latin motto many times and in Chess Coaching at PAC we have used it as motivation in Intercols if possible to smash the ......s!

I know Andrew would be smiling at me posting this.
    Chess is the greatest game ever !

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Campbell
    People have mentioned his sense of humour, and some of his jokes just that weekend make me smile. And I remember in the early early days he told me that his rival school St Peters' Latin motto translated as "born to rule", and he put it with such conviction that I didn't know if I should believe him or not.
    I went to St. Peters and I've got to say that joke is pretty accurate! I hope people don't find it disrespectful that I had a chuckle in Andrew's memory this morning.

There is a tribute on the SACA front page, http://www.sachess.org/

Re the funeral, there was a death notice in Saturday's paper saying, "Funeral arrangements to be announced at a later date by BLACKWELL FUNERALS Glenside 8338 1681"
    http://www.peterballard.org

CC Candidate Master

Volunteers required for accident fundraiser Friday April 12

As some people may have read, there will be a sausage sizzle fundraiser for accident victims this Friday, and we are looking for lots of volunteers. It is at Bunnings in Coburg, and will run for most of the day. I have offered to co-ordinate the event, so if you are able to help even for part of the day, please contact me here on chesschat, or on 0450 796 736. We need at least 6 people helping at any one time, and some volunteers may only be able to help for part of the day, so it would be really helpful if we could generate a decent sized list of interested individuals.

Dave Lacey

CC International Master

Andrew's funeral

Here are the details of Andrew Saint's funeral: His funeral will be held in Adelaide and a memorial service will be held a week later in Melbourne.

FUNERAL - ADELAIDE

Monday 15th April, 2013 at 1.30 pm

The Heysen Chapel at Centennial Park Cemetery.

760 Goodwood Road Pasadena 5042.

Their website address is: www.centennialpark.org

The Heysen Chapel can accommodate 250 people inside and there is an indoor “overflow” area that can hold a further 500 people.

The service will be followed by afternoon tea in the adjoining lounge area or possibly another venue (yet to be determined) in the nearby area.

MEMORIAL SERVICE - MELBOURNE

Monday 22nd April, 2013 at 12 Noon

The Le Pine Chapel Dandenong

137 Princes Highway Dandenong

The Chapel can accommodate 100 people inside.

The service will be followed by a light lunch of sandwiches in the adjoining lounge area.

CHARITIABLE DONATIONS IN LEIU OF FLOWERS

Andrew had nominated the SA Cancer Council as a recipient of donations in memory of his mother

Please donate at http://www.cancersa.org.au/get-involved/donate

Please use business address of Smith’s Snackfood 553 South Rd Regency Park 5010 when donating and we will deliver all cards to Andrew’s family.
    People with nothing to hide post using their real names...

The Man in the Back that Caesar guy's Avatar

Vale Andrew Saint and Hannibal Schwartz

Due to my age, and my limited experiences in the chess community, I can't recall too many moments of note with Andrew and Hannibal. I struggle to remember the 'good times' between us, those extra-ordinary times that become encased in your memory forever. And this may well have been simply because I haven't known them each long enough.

But what I can say is this: both these men were extraordinary people who were full of nothing but kindness and goodwill. They let their actions speak louder than any of their words ever could, and those actions were based on pure generosity and beauty that everyone could appreciate. It is obvious that these two men were dearly beloved by all - myself included. For although my memories of them may be short and tragically incomplete, it is clear to me that both Andrew and Hannibal represented the best in all that humanity has to offer - kindness, generosity, brilliance and that unwavering dedication to placing others before themselves.

R.I.P. Andrew Saint and Hannibal Schwartz. You will most certainly be sorely missed.
    'And the man in the back said "Everyone attack!", and it turned into a ballroom blitz. And the girl in the corner said "Boy I wanna warn ya, it'll turn into a ballroom blitz." Brian Connolly

Great to see you are able to post, James. Yes we all want to endorse your sentiments towards Andrew and Hannibal (RIP) and their families.
    BTW in FA Cup Chelsea knocked out Man U. Won in EPL too and are now third.
    I wish you and Dimitri full and speedy recoveries.
    Last edited by Adamski; 09-04-2013 at 06:48 PM.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Candidate Master

funeral service

There was a remarkable - electrifying - video of Andrew singing "I did it my way", shown at the end of the funeral service:

And now, the end is here
    And so I face the final curtain
    My friend, I'll say it clear
    I'll state my case, of which I'm certain
    I've lived a life that's full
    I traveled each and ev'ry highway
    And more, much more than this, I did it my way

I'm not in a position to provide a full report but there were hundreds there.
    - Bill Kerr

Quote Originally Posted by billkerr
    There was a remarkable - electrifying - video of Andrew singing "I did it my way", shown at the end of the funeral service:

And now, the end is here
    And so I face the final curtain
    My friend, I'll say it clear
    I'll state my case, of which I'm certain
    I've lived a life that's full
    I traveled each and ev'ry highway
    And more, much more than this, I did it my way

I'm not in a position to provide a full report but there were hundreds there.
    Thanks for that moving report Bill!

Welcome to the forum too!

BTW I have taken two pictures of Andrew from the Doeberl Cup presentation.

I also had a short conversation and shared a couple of jokes with him!

I would like to share this stuff with members of his family before I publish them here and on face book.

So please if you have the email adress of any of his close relatives please send it to me at

not_only_chess@bigpond.com

thanks in advance!

Cheers and good luck!

Elliott Renzies
    Last edited by ER; 16-04-2013 at 09:58 PM.
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.
    Fully vaccinated since October, 21, 2021

CC International Master

Andrew's Memorial Service is this Monday

Andrew Saint's memorial service details for this coming Monday:

MEMORIAL SERVICE - MELBOURNE

Monday 22nd April, 2013 at 12 Noon

The Le Pine Chapel Dandenong

137 Princes Highway Dandenong

The Chapel can accommodate 100 people inside.

The service will be followed by a light lunch of sandwiches in the adjoining lounge area.

CHARITIABLE DONATIONS IN LEIU OF FLOWERS

Andrew had nominated the SA Cancer Council as a recipient of donations in memory of his mother

Please donate at http://www.cancersa.org.au/get-involved/donate

Please use business address of Smith’s Snackfood 553 South Rd Regency Park 5010 when donating and we will deliver all cards to Andrew’s family.
    People with nothing to hide post using their real names...

CC Candidate Master

Thanks

On behalf of my father and I, we would like to thank the Australian chess community for your love and support during this difficult time.

Love
    Alex And Bruce Saint
    Last edited by Sainty; 27-04-2013 at 12:04 AM.

CC Candidate Master
    Missed Andrew's Funeral? Well you have to see this!

Dad and I have decided to make 2 videos from the funeral public.

They are
    - Andrew singing the song 'My Way'
    - and secondly a slideshow of Andrew's life.

These are Youtube videos but the hyperlink is suppressed because we don't want the video searchable on Youtube or Google.

Click the link below and send on to anyone!
    http://andrewsaintmemorial.org.au/re...m-funeral.html
    Last edited by Sainty; 14-05-2013 at 10:40 AM.

CC Candidate Master

Tribute Wall

We wanted to have a tribute wall on the website where people in chess circles or other circles can post 2-3 lines about what they loved about Andrew and I will just list them in order.

The link to it is:
    http://andrewsaintmemorial.org.au/re...bute-wall.html

I can't wait to have these tributes coming in - it will mean so much to me, Dad and our family friends as well as the chess public. This will be so special!!

Email me at:
    asaint02@gmail.com
    Last edited by Sainty; 16-05-2013 at 02:05 PM.

CC Candidate Master
    Andrew's final chess rating is 1968!
    He is ranked 191 in Australia

Dad and I will put this rating on his memorial plaque.

Congrats Andrew.

Alex and Bruce Saint

Thread Information