Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Peter Parr's Chess Column

what happened to Peter's column in today's SMH. Is he okay? My religion is reading his columnn.

Put the boot in

Peter are you going to report on the Big Controversey (?) in the Olympaid re the PNG team like you did for Mr. Fell's opponent? You can't discriminate!

Sydney Easter Cup

Peter
    I have had lost of email trouble recently. Just in case you have not received my message am including below. For your chess column Thanks
    regards
    Thank you.
    Peter Hanna
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    Sydney Easter Cup 2005

Presented by Cabra-Vale Diggers Chess Club
    1 Bartley Street, Cabramatta, 5 mins walk to Cabramatta Station.

Seven Rounds

1 hour each player, loss on flag fall, games will be rated

Register and play 9.00 am Easter Saturday March 26, second day of play Easter Monday March 28

A separate lightning competition will be held on the evening of Monday March 28

Entry Fee: $20 Concession $10 Juniors $10

All entry fees to be refunded in prizes plus free hot meal on second day of competition

$250 (minimum) First Prize guaranteed

Further details: Ernest Dorn Phone (02) 9727-2931 Mble 0419-260-240
    __________________________________________________ ________________-

Ilic downed again

AGain in today's SMH Peter's column has not good news for Ilic in NSW Championship. He shows top players scoring 7 and 6s blah blah, and someone 1.5, then drops down to Ilic scoring only .5. why put him in at all? Why rub it in? He only lists 4 players, surely there were more than 4 players? why put the last one in?

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    AGain in today's SMH Peter's column has not good news for Ilic in NSW Championship. He shows top players scoring 7 and 6s blah blah, and someone 1.5, then drops down to Ilic scoring only .5. why put him in at all? Why rub it in? He only lists 4 players, surely there were more than 4 players? why put the last one in?
    You are hopeless.
    Peter mentions there were 6 players and he list the final scores for all 6 players.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    You are hopeless.
    Peter mentions there were 6 players and he list the final scores for all 6 players.
    I admittingly raced through it only picking up on the last bit about my friend Ilic who whinges about Peter only noting his losses in the column and never his victories.

Well what is worse to come out of it is that there were only 6 players - pretty lousy for a place with so many highly rated players as Sydney has. Which brings us back to the argument about the comps format of so many weekend's committment. If I held the Sydney Easter Cup in a inner city venue I would get better than that (with only modest prize money)

I admittingly raced through it only picking up on the last bit about my friend Ilic who whinges about Peter only noting his losses in the column and never his victories.

Well what is worse to come out of it is that there were only 6 players - pretty lousy for a place with so many highly rated players as Sydney has.
    Brett actually went down the rating list phoning players to see if they were prepared to play.
    Which brings us back to the argument about the comps format of so many weekend's committment.
    The event was not held on weekends but on a weeknight.
    If I held the Sydney Easter Cup in a inner city venue I would get better than that (with only modest prize money)
    The event was held in Burwood which is in Sydneys inner west.
    Also you are comparing apples to oranges. The State Championship is a far more serious event with a longer time control than your SEC.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Brett actually went down the rating list phoning players to see if they were prepared to play.
    The event was not held on weekends but on a weeknight.
    Maybe they thought they would be just demolished by Shirty so they stayed away. Becoming monotonous. There is ten times more competiton in the table tennis comps that I sometimes attend, but they are held over one weekend. But I know they tried that once I think.

Peter Parr's 2010 columns in SMH

These can be found online here.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Now playing at Rooty Hill Chess Club. Visit http://http://www.rootyhillchess.org/

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

In Peter's column 2 or 3 weeks ago (could not find online didn't know how) he mentioned a "much improved" player, I attempted to correct him to "much-improved" but he would have none of it?????????????

If I beat him on this I will challenge him to chess game.

One day we may even get his royal highness to post here

In Peter's column 2 or 3 weeks ago (could not find online didn't know how) he mentioned a "much improved" player, I attempted to correct him to "much-improved" but he would have none of it?????????????

If I beat him on this I will challenge him to chess game.

One day we may even get his royal highness to post here
    Peter is right and you are wrong. To find his columns online just click on the link and follow your nose (or teeth).

Now playing at Rooty Hill Chess Club. Visit http://http://www.rootyhillchess.org/

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski
    Peter is right and you are wrong. To find his columns online just click on the link and follow your nose (or teeth).
    The only "much improved" I could find was regarding the NSWCA website. Peter Parr reports...

"Reitmans launched the new much improved website on Saturday afternoon..."

I agree with Peter Hanna, that should read "much-improved." "Much" is a non -ly adverb modifying "improved" and occurring before the noun (website). AFAIK the rule is to hyphenate. Also a comma or the word "and" after "new" would have not have gone astray, giving

"Reitmans launched the new and much-improved website on Saturday afternoon..."
    We may define “faith” as a firm belief in something for which there is no evidence. Where there is evidence, no one speaks of “faith.” We do not speak of faith that two and two are four or that the earth is round. We only speak of faith when we wish to substitute emotion for evidence. - Bertrand Russell

Ok

Ok, point taken, though in common usage the hyphen is often missed out. One for the grammarians on this board. Of course, I agree that the new NSWCA web site is indeed much-improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    I agree with Peter Hanna, that should read "much-improved." "Much" is a non -ly adverb modifying "improved" and occurring before the noun (website). AFAIK the rule is to hyphenate. Also a comma or the word "and" after "new" would have not have gone astray, giving

"Reitmans launched the new and much-improved website on Saturday afternoon..."
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski
    Of course, I agree that the new NSWCA web site is indeed much-improved.
    Not sure if the hyphen is needed for a predicate adjective like that, as opposed to the attributive adjective in the column in question.
    “The whole episode disgusts me—as it should disgust anyone interested in a tolerant and diverse society. If this is the gay rights movement today—hounding our opponents with a fanaticism more like the religious right than anyone else—then count me out. If we are about intimidating the free speech of others, we are no better than the anti-gay bullies who came before us.”—Andrew Sullivan [himself gay] on the GayKK-forced resignation of Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Not sure if the hyphen is needed for a predicate adjective like that, as opposed to the attributive adjective in the column in question.
    Yep I don't think it is either.

I'm not sure of the distinction between a predicative and attributive adjective but I assume it has something to do with its position relative to the noun. My understanding of the rule is hyphenate before the noun and not afterward.
    We may define “faith” as a firm belief in something for which there is no evidence. Where there is evidence, no one speaks of “faith.” We do not speak of faith that two and two are four or that the earth is round. We only speak of faith when we wish to substitute emotion for evidence. - Bertrand Russell

Thread Information