Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CC Grandmaster

Do we really have a lot of computer cheating in Australia?

https://twitter.com/Chess__News - reports that According to Alex Malejevic....there is a lot of computer cheating going on in Australia
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Candidate Master
    If there were wouldn't u think we'd have a lot more GM's around? At least no1 can accuse me of that - yesterday's game over & won in 15min having never left the board

CC Candidate Master
    You certainly wouldn't need a computer to beat Malejewicz

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron
    https://twitter.com/Chess__News - reports that According to Alex Malejevic....there is a lot of computer cheating going on in Australia
    Actually Malejewicz tweeted it and then Chess_News retweeted it. A retweet is not necessarily an endorsement. He's completely wrong; the ACF took action following an instance of smartphones being used to record for Tornelo and has effectively eliminated the problem in events under our control/influence.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate1978girl
    - yesterday's game over & won in 15min having never left the board

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    A retweet is not necessarily an endorsement.
    Kevin, I agree its not an endorsement but what bothers me is that those unfaimilar with the Australian Chess scene (and many people are) may take him and his claims seriously.

CC International Master
    Kevin, I agree its not an endorsement but what bothers me is that those unfaimilar with the Australian Chess scene (and many people are) may take him and his claims seriously.
    3. Breaches of the Code of Ethics
    3.12 Engaging in conduct likely to injure the reputation of the ACF, its events, organisers, participants or sponsors.

CC International Master William AS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pawn
    You certainly wouldn't need a computer to beat Malejevic

Looks like he thinks he is suffering from attention deficit.
    Mobile phones are banned and most arbiters keep a close watch out for cheats.
    Anyone wearing enough clothing to hide outside aid would attract a lot of attention with the current summer weather.
    A wise prince will seek means by which his subjects will always and in every possible condition of things have need of his government, and then they will always be faithful to him. Niccolo Machiavelli (14691527), Il Principe (The Prince)

A wise prince will also realise that this can be achieved more successfully by means other than rape, pillage, greed, lies, deceit or misinformation.

I'm correcting his errors but I might send a message to the Russian site too. If anyone has a twitter account and speaks Russian they might want to advise the Russians that it's not correct too.

Fact is the smartphone/Tornelo thing happened at one tournament then we banned it. It still continues in some ChessKids junior events.

CC Candidate Master
    There is a bizarre and unsubstantiated allegation by a poster on the English Chess Federation forum here: https://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic...0017&start=465

"I am also aware that in Australia the largest 'type' of Chess Cheaters are International Masters"

The poster is a controversial British FM who is embroiled in an incident at the British Championship against a respected English IM. I am not sure why he decided to suddenly bring in this allegation (which seems wholly unrelated to the incident) and why target Australian IM's.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    There is a bizarre and unsubstantiated allegation by a poster on the English Chess Federation forum here: https://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic...0017&start=465

"I am also aware that in Australia the largest 'type' of Chess Cheaters are International Masters"

The poster is a controversial British FM who is embroiled in an incident at the British Championship against a respected English IM. I am not sure why he decided to suddenly bring in this allegation (which seems wholly unrelated to the incident) and why target Australian IM's.
    Well there have been a couple of recent cases of IMs being defaulted for mobile phone possession, though in neither case was there a suggestion that the phone was being used illicitly. In fact there haven't been any cheating cases for some time unless one has slipped my mind.

I don't think he was particularly interested in Australian cheating as such, it's just that he went through the list of countries, perhaps alphabetically, to find one where he could (sort of) justify the comment quoted.

Shaun Press has posted the following comment:

If the mention of "Australian IM's" is what I assume it is, then I was the chief arbiter at one such incident earlier this year. It was quite similar to what happened at the 2019 British Championship, in that involved a player who had not played for a number of years, didn't pay sufficient notice to the announcements at the start of each round, and was very contrite once the rules were explained to him (although he did withdraw from the event).
    There was another issue involving an Australian resident IM (who is registered for another Federation) who was defaulted for a similar offence in New Zealand last year. Otherwise they're the only 2 cases that spring to mind.
    I'm not aware of any strong Australian or Australian-resident player being found guilty of computer-cheating. I'm aware of a couple of confirmed cases involving weaker players, one of them a junior, and the other in an online qualifier for the World Championships around the turn of the century.

CC Grandmaster
    Just read how Storey advertises his writings and coaching on chess forums...he is well under 2300 but claims he has his own opening system...own chess study system that is unique etc. Should not be noted that other titled players usually thrash him on chess.com rather regularly.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Just read how Storey advertises his writings and coaching on chess forums...he is well under 2300 but claims he has his own opening system...own chess study system that is unique etc. Should not be noted that other titled players usually thrash him on chess.com rather regularly.
    That may all be true, but it does seem that he was the innocent party in this dispute (despite his unjustified slur on Australian IMs) - his opponent was disqualified under the mobile phone rules.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    That may all be true, but it does seem that he was the innocent party in this dispute (despite his unjustified slur on Australian IMs) - his opponent was disqualified under the mobile phone rules.
    His opponent is not Australian! You know...i am the often the first one to openly criticise Australia and Australians (being an Australian does not stop me - on the contrary, I feel i have be honest with myself/my country) ... accept fair criticism of my country/our chess federation/poor chess organisation etc.
    However, in this instance, I feel that his claim is completely unjustified!
    Last edited by MichaelBaron; 13-08-2019 at 12:53 AM.

Thread Information