Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CC Grandmaster

Korchnoi had a stroke and will not play again?

A Danish friend of mine posted a link to an article on FB that Korchnoi had a stroke and will not play in tournaments any more...I tried googling for more info about it but could not locate any more references to the Korchnoi's chess excodus . Any confirmations of what happened (or not happened) to him?
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

nothing at Chessbase (or anywhere else I could find) yet so hopefully not true ?
    I was never good enough to retire.

CC Candidate Master
    I'm sorry, but it's true. Lars Grahn is a serious swedish chessreporter. The senior WC Jens Kristiansen also confirms, so... PLease don't shoot the mailman...

http://larsgrahn.blogspot.com.au/

Upplagd av Lars Grahn kl. 23:12 Skicka med e-postBlogThis!Dela på TwitterDela på FacebookLänkar till det här inlägget
    torsdagen den 20:e december 2012Viktor Kortchnois slutspel

81-årige Viktor Kortchnoi har drabbats av en hjärnblödning och enligt Christian Issler, ordförande i Zürich SG, är Kortchnois schackkarriär troligen slut. Hans sista parti kan ha varit ett serieparti för Zürich SG i schweiziska Bundesliga den 21 augusti. Några veckor dessförinnan spelade Kortchnoi med i en match mellan legendarer och juniorer i Genève, där han var en av tre som var bästa poängplockare med 7 poäng på de 10 ronderna.

När Kortchnoi fyllde 80 fick hustrun Petra frågan vilka intressen hennes man hade vid sidan om schackspelet. ”Hans enda intresse är schack. För honom finns ingenting annat.”

I wish Viktor a full and speedy recovery. Perhaps he will play again.Over his career he must have played (or at least close to) more competitive chess games than any other GM ever? What a stellar career, including Challenger for the world championship.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Now playing at Rooty Hill Chess Club. Visit http://http://www.rootyhillchess.org/

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Candidate Master
    His chesscareer should certainly be finished...

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by machomortensen
    His chesscareer should certainly be finished...
    Lets pray....with someone as strong-minded as Victor one never knows!

CC Candidate Master
    http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/no...ktor-kortchnoi

I fully understand that you prefered not to trust me, but... I'm sorry.

http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/no...ktor-kortchnoi

I fully understand that you prefered not to trust me, but... I'm sorry.
    I wonder why it took so long for one of the mainstream news sources to find out. Your man was way ahead of them (?it). I was even starting to have doubts but I trust you

DJ

PS Now also reported on Chess Base news http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8737
    Last edited by Denis_Jessop; 29-12-2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: update
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

In Arsène we Trust!

CC Grandmaster
    sad..really sad

Not so sure about Victor giving up that easy! According to Henrik's original report which I had translated from Danish, VK as soon as he woke up asked for a chess board and pieces next to his bed!

Apologies! The above is not true. Actually, the exact google translation of the mentioned text is: "When Kortchnoi filled 80 got his wife Petra asked what interests her husband had on the side of the chess game. "His only interest is chess. For him, nothing else."

What got me confused was the phrase "on the side" which I interpreted as "by his side", as well as the "filled 80" which I initially thought was just a translation of octogenarian and not the occasion of his 80th birthday as was meant in the text!

Google language translations follow a rather peculiar syntax which might lead to wrong conclusions as it happened above!
    Last edited by Elliott Renzies; 30-12-2012 at 06:41 PM.
    • Chess is like an underground activity back home! Ian Rogers, Australian Chess Grandmaster.
    • I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else. - Winston Churchill
    • Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery. - Spike Milligan
    • The time to relax is when you don't have time for it! Sydney J. Harris
    • Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. Marthe Troly-Curtin

ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC Candidate Master
    The sad story was obviously "known" at the "veteran-circuit", fx. Lars Grahn, Jens Kristiansen, Peter Hohler etc.

CC Grandmaster
    The sad story was obviously "known" at the "veteran-circuit", fx. Lars Grahn, Jens Kristiansen, Peter Hohler etc.
    So how serious is his condition? If only his brain is not damaged, he may still play again one day. With Victor the Terrible - one can never be sure!

Sad to hear this news. He is my chess hero and is the reason that I first started to play chess seriously back when I was in high school in the 70's.
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Spiny Norman
    Sad to hear this news. He is my chess hero and is the reason that I first started to play chess seriously back when I was in high school in the 70's.
    Welcome back to posting Spiny after a large interval. It is very sad news and I sure you are not alone in owing your chess interest largely to the great VK.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Now playing at Rooty Hill Chess Club. Visit http://http://www.rootyhillchess.org/

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Grandmaster
    Chess-news (Russian chess portal) published an interview with GM Sosonko today. Sosonko spoke to Korchnoi over the phone yesterday. According to him, Victor the Terrible is in fairly good spirits (despite his legs being paralyzed). There is no mention of Korchnoi's return to competitive chess

Thread Information