Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhubarb
    Prediction: within the next few weeks, FIDE will program it into the server that registrations won't be allowed without an approved arbiter.
    I am wondering what they are going to do with the vast number of registrations that have no FIDE ID. They have not requested any info other than names so I have, perhaps stupidly, not collected any.

CC International Master Rhubarb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I am wondering what they are going to do with the vast number of registrations that have no FIDE ID. They have not requested any info other than names so I have, perhaps stupidly, not collected any.
    You can send me a list of names if you like and I can manually assign FIDE IDs - the only info required for a manual assignation is federation and DOB.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhubarb
    You can send me a list of names if you like and I can manually assign FIDE IDs - the only info required for a manual assignation is federation and DOB.
    I don't even have DOBs yet so I'll see what they ask for.

Meanwhile one of my amazing discoveries in this process has been that about 80% of chessplayers do not know how to crop a photo of themselves and resize it to something resembling a stated size. Perhaps I shouldn't talk given that I don't drive and generally take at least five minutes to write a text message but in future I think I might require these hopeless cases to each donate $5 to the Olympiad appeal.

CC Grandmaster
    Meanwhile one of my amazing discoveries in this process has been that about 80% of chessplayers do not know how to crop a photo of themselves and resize it to something resembling a stated size. Perhaps I shouldn't talk given that I don't drive and generally take at least five minutes to write a text message but in future I think I might require these hopeless cases to each donate $5 to the Olympiad appeal.
    The free program Microsoft Paint will crop the picture, and the equally free program Microsoft Office Picture Manager can re-size it. If you have Windows installed, both of these are probably already on your computer.
    To be fair, re-sizing is not something you normally need to do - I'm fairly cluey about these sort of things, but I only stumbled across that feature by accident.

cases

Meanwhile one of my amazing discoveries in this process has been that about 80% of chessplayers do not know how to crop a photo of themselves and resize it to something resembling a stated size. :
    Most of the chessplayers I know, wouldn't even care to have their photos taken.

Really, I think that a great no. of chessplayers don't go online and as such don't know anything about the forums. (I can tell because those who know call me JaK when we meet in tournaments allover Australia)!

Also, I think it's rather unrealistic to believe that all clubs have a frequent direct e-mail or snail mail communication system with their members. Some have but others don't.

And that's only fair because I don't expect my volunteer officials to spend more time on Club's administration than I do when I go there to enjoy myself!

Another thing about a no. of chessplayers, juniors included, is that they don't care about live, or written announcements in tournaments. All they care is go check who they or their mates play against.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev
    Perhaps I shouldn't talk given that I don't drive and generally take at least five minutes to write a text message but in future I think I might require these hopeless cases to each donate $5 to the Olympiad appeal. :lol
    Most likely they 'll ask you "what's that for"?
    Last edited by ER; 04-12-2012 at 08:39 AM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by JaK
    Also, I think it's rather unrealistic to believe that all clubs have a frequent direct e-mail or snail mail communication system with their members. Some have but others don't.
    I don't believe all clubs have this sort of thing either, and this is exactly why players and administrators must subscribe to the ACF Newsletter and at least skim it to check if there is anything in it they need to know.

The following names were sent to FIDE last night:

IA:
    Gary Bekker
    Anastasia Sorokina
    Charles Zworestine
    Roland Eime
    Peter Parr
    Kevin Perrin
    Cathy Rogers

FA:
    Jamie Kenmure
    Peter Tsai
    Kerry Stead
    Graeme Gardiner
    Brian Jones (title pending)

FIDE NA:
    William Anderson-Smith
    Mark Stokes
    Norman Braybrooke
    Allan Menham
    Michael Corner
    Grant Szuveges
    Malcolm Pyke
    David Stimson
    Paul Cavezza
    Carl Gorka
    Leonid Sandler
    Trevor Stanning
    Gerrit Hartland
    Chris Potter
    Steve Hogan
    Eric Staak
    Max Illingworth
    Patrick Byrom
    Domagoj Dragicevic
    John Nemeth
    Svetozar Stojic
    Scott Crowley
    Bill Gletsos
    Peter Cassettari
    Norm Greenwood
    Robert Watson
    Shane Burgess
    Alana Chibnall
    Arthur Huynh
    Trent Parker
    David Webster
    Brett Tindall
    Laura Moylan
    Kevin Bonham
    Emma Guo

FIDE have acknowledged these and prepared accounts for the ACF for them.

The following have been sent to FIDE since, and also confirmed by FIDE:

Andrew Fitzpatrick
    Jim Ritchie
    Alan Goldsmith
    Giang Nguyen
    William Wedding

The only unresolved name sent to me at this stage (no confirmed payment or withdrawal) is:

Tony Davis.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 11-12-2012 at 11:19 PM.

CC Grandmaster
    The only unresolved name sent to me at this stage (no confirmed payment or withdrawal) is:

Tony Davis.
    I believe Tony is a regular on this forum under the nick ''Chigoresov'' so it should be possible to clarify
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC International Master Paul Cavezza's Avatar
    Meanwhile one of my amazing discoveries in this process has been that about 80% of chessplayers do not know how to crop a photo of themselves and resize it to something resembling a stated size.
    This is actually quite a big problem in chess admin. I'm pretty sure I could train a chimp to access google docs before Szuveges

Secondly, I think this is a good thing. Needing an FA to run events is very restrictive especially when the pool is small and the country big. Hopefully this gives clubs the ability to be a bit more creative with tournaments.

Thirdly, no Jack Hughes?

CC FIDE Master

Careful

Careful mate be careful lol

When do you need the photos by Kevin? I haven't yet sent mine to you.
    IA/WFM Alana Chibnall

alanachibnall@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alana
    When do you need the photos by Kevin? I haven't yet sent mine to you.
    Initially FIDE told me they needed them by 1/1/13, which is why I specified Xmas Eve; after all, I am away from home with limited internet access now and I don't want to spend New Years' Eve fixing up bad photos.

Now they say they will take them any time in 2013; however, for those who send them in after 1/1/13, delivery of license cards will be delayed.

It appears that the license card itself is not necessary for "being licensed" but for all I know they may someday change that as well.

Photos for the following arbiters sent to FIDE:

Gary Bekker
    Jamie Kenmure
    Peter Tsai
    Kerry Stead
    Graeme Gardiner
    Anastasia Sorokina
    William Anderson-Smith
    Anastasia Sorokina
    Charles Zworestine
    Roland Eime
    Peter Parr
    Mark Stokes
    Allan Menham
    Grant Szuveges
    Chris Potter
    Eric Staak
    Max Illingworth
    Patrick Byrom
    Domagoj Dragicevic
    Scott Crowley
    Bill Gletsos
    Peter Cassettari
    David Webster
    Kevin Bonham
    Emma Guo
    Andrew Fitzpatrick
    Jim Ritchie

If you have sent me a photo and your name doesn't appear on this list, let me know (by email k_bonham@tassie.net.au), and let me know which email address you sent it to. (My deepest apologies to anyone in this situation who I missed; I may have overlooked some where the image arrived embedded in the email body rather than as an attachment.) As noted above the pics are only needed for licence card purposes, not for the awarding of the licence itself, and those licences that have been paid for are now effective.

Oh, and I avoided spending New Year's Eve fixing photos by waiting til after midnight.

Completely forgot to send my photo through to you - will do it sometime soon. When will the NA titles appear on the FIDE website?
    IA/WFM Alana Chibnall

alanachibnall@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alana
    Completely forgot to send my photo through to you - will do it sometime soon. When will the NA titles appear on the FIDE website?
    Already up at http://arbiters.fide.com/

Thread Information