CC Candidate Master

Chess software for teaching

Hello,

perhaps this has been already treated. I am looking for a software able to replace a wall chessboard. It should have:

1. a (very) good 3D view (otherwise a 2D is enough);
    2. possibility to easily add pieces, draw arrows, circle on the squares or even color them;
    3. no control on the moves done so that I can move the same piece more times and even in impossible square.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    luigi

CC FIDE Master
    Hi Forlando...

All of us here at Chess Kids use CHESS MICROBASE which has all the features you require.

You can also share databases with students and embed them on websites.

Good luck,
    David

CC Grandmaster
    Sounds like a great marketing ploy
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by ChessGuru
    All of us here at Chess Kids use CHESS MICROBASE which has all the features you require.
    I've never used Chess Microbase, but from a preliminary perusal it looks like CM actually has none of the features Luigi requested.

That said, I can't suggest anything that does satisfy all the requirements; the third condition about being able to make illegal moves freely is hard to find in any serious chess software.

CC FIDE Master
    Flushfyre -- you must have taken a VERY preliminary look, but maybe forgot to click anything.

The requests were:

1. a (very) good 3D view (otherwise a 2D is enough);
    A 3D view isn't really practical for lesson/display purposes...just isn't that easy to see. If it was then there'd be 3D diagrams in books... I'd rate ChessMicrobase as a very good 2D view.

2. possibility to easily add pieces, draw arrows, circle on the squares or even color them;
    There is a "presentation mode" which is designed especially for this purpose... highlight squares and draw arrows. The graphic annotation is perhaps less extensive than was requested (can't draw circles for example) but again ChessMicrobase does meet the basic requirements.

3. no control on the moves done so that I can move the same piece more times and even in impossible square.
    This to me seems to be the critical request. Certainly when I've been doing digital presentations this is the most annoying thing. Ideally you might like to remove all the pieces from the board, talk just about pawn structure and then put the pieces all back again.... or make 5 moves in a row to demonstrate a plan.... or put kings next to each other....

Chess Microbase again meets this criteria. In fact it makes life very easy to do this... again using the presentation mode you can basically do whatever you like on the board (including graphic annotations) and then just click back to the position or onto the next move.

Maybe you need to take another look?

Hi ChessGuru,

Apologies for jumping to conclusions. One of my pet hates is when someone asks for something and someone else suggests something completely different in order to promote their product. Now I see that it wasn't the case here.

CC International Master
    Chess.com's analysis board (in live chess) has two and three, but as far as I know there isn't a 3D option, though I haven't checked the board settings for live chess so I don't know about that. You only need a basic membership (free) to use the analysis board.
    Train with a Grandmaster, think like a Grandmaster.

GM, FIDE Trainer; Live FIDE over 2500; ACF 2576. 2014-15 Australian Champion and 2017 Australian Open Champion; three-time Steiner Medal awardee. I coach at the Australian Juniors and JETS and write prolifically. The link details precisely what I can do for your chess. If you share my passion for chess and want to arrange your first lesson, please contact me via email: IllingworthChess@gmail.com.

CC Candidate Master
    Thanks for all your suggestions.

At the end I used the client of ICC although it remained very cumbersome for my need.
    I am amazed that there are around a lot of good interface but no one with very silly and basic feature able to replace a wall chessboard. This last remains (I believe) the principal tool for an instructor given the total freedom it gives.
    I am tempted to make such a program (no rules, no clock, no database, no analisys, only boards with picture to move around and a palette from which choose color).

Regards,
    Luigi

I use chessbase for coaching. If you know the shortcut keys you can pretty much do anything.

Two shortcut that I think will address all your needs:

1. Ctrl+shift+0 = "Null Move". For example, if it's black's move, it enters a null move for black and its white's turn again

2. "s". Pressing the letter s when a board is open will open the 'set up board' window. The position will be whatever position was on the board when you pressed the letter s. From there you can add/remove pieces, change the players turn, etc.

CC Candidate Master
    Whilst i also use chessbase Tyson for many things, one of the disadvantages is that you cannot setup illegal positions...as Chessguru mentions if you want to do pawn structure with no kings on the board, you can't do that...which is rather annoying at times!

Ah yeh, in that case I use fritz and setup a new "give-away" chess position xD

CC Rookie
    Hello, is it possible to use CHESS MICROBASE offline?
    And is it possible to have the name of the pieces in French?

Thanks for your answers

CC Candidate Master
    MAybe not fitting perfectly this thread, in which case I apologize, but I find Chessable very interesting. It incorporates books onto practice and learning and repetition. So I think it is quite effective. And you can choose from books and what you need to learn or know. Like openings and so on
    Currently playing on http://lichess.org and trying out 1.d4 thanks to my fave youtuber via Chessable

Thread Information